7 Silver ~ Barber Dime ~ 1909 S Semi-Key Wheat ~ Another Good Day!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello My Friends!

I can't believe the day I had yesterday at a very heavily pounded park. My buddy, Mike(oknorom), has been making some recent great silver finds there this year, so I thought I would join him yesterday for a full day of detecting. I wasn't going to get my expectation too high...I know better to do that at this park. A one silver day and a few wheaties is considered a good day there now. The park is beautiful, with many 300+ year old oak trees, and lots of peacocks all around you. Every time I go back to this park, I always remember my seated half find there, along with the many other great coins and relics my buddies and I have found. My first find of the day was a 1920 wheatie next to an old oak tree, while a couple of peacocks were watching me carefully while I was on making my plug. :bigsmile: After Mike arrived, we both headed to the oldest section of the park to see if we could find anything else hiding in the trash underneath the old oaks. I was detecting right along a cement walkway when I heard a faint, but high fluty signal. I let Mike listen to it, and he said he would dig that any day of the year. After digging about 7", I saw the shine of a silver coin in the bottom of my plug. My first silver of the day, a 1911 D barber dime. :headbang: It's amazing how many times we've pounded this little area, and are still making some great finds. A little while later, we moved to a different section of the park, and I dug a deep wheatie that was so corroded, I couldn't read the date on it. I jokingly told Mike, "I'm going to call it a 1909 S VDB". :laughing11: A few minutes later, I went into a woodsy section and managed to pull out a couple of Rosies, a few more wheats, and a silver bracelet charm which has the letters "M.E.M" on it. The back says sterling with the makers mark on it. A short while later, DanaPointVal met up with us and we headed back to the older section again where I found the barber dime. I was detecting right underneath a very old oak when I got a mixed signal on my SE. It was zinc'y sounding with mixed low tones. I was going for this signal because I knew it could be an early wheat or Injun. After digging the plug, I put my probe in the hole, and heard a nice zinc'y signal. When I had the coin in my hand, Mike was the first to tell me, "It's a 1909 S". I thought he was joking because of my mention of my corroded wheatie being a 1909S earlier in the day. He then said you better take a look at it. I did, and I couldn't believe it really was a 1909 S. I hadn't turned the coin over yet to see if the designer's initials (VDB) were present. Well, they weren't, but I was still real happy to get that semi-key wheat, especially from the area I dug it from. :occasion18:

After digging a few more teens wheaties, another Rosie, an eye find piece of silver on the ground, along with a two-heart pendant that has the names "Art" and "Sammie" etched in handwriting on each heart, we called it a day. By the time we were walking to the car, the peacocks were walking around everywhere, while the animals in the small park zoo were all yelping and making a ton of noise. It was a fantastic day with my two hunting buds. With regards to #'s of old coins I found there yesterday at that park, it will be a day I'm sure I will probably never have there again.

Thanks for looking!

Keep The Passion High! :thumbsup:

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3380_sm.jpg
    IMG_3380_sm.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 778
  • 1909S_030309.jpg
    1909S_030309.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 770
  • Barber_Bracelet_030309.jpg
    Barber_Bracelet_030309.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 770
  • IMG_3379_sm.jpg
    IMG_3379_sm.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 773
Upvote 0

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a super day of hunting Dan!! :thumbsup:
Too bad the 09-s wasn't a vdb but with all the teen and earlier
wheats you find, it won't be long before you find one, I'm sure.
Nice Barber and other silvers too. Enjoy your posts.
Good Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs my friend. Warm weather is on the way :thumbsup:
Your silver totals from those pounded parks is amazing buddy. Keep it up. :icon_sunny:

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW DAN!!! VERY NICE FINDS THERE!!! That 1909-S Wheat is an AWESOME find! CONGRAT'S! Then semi-key wheats are one of my favorite goodies to dig up! . . . . Who am I kidding? I LOVE ALL TREASURES THAT I DIG UP!!! LOL

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nothing like hunting in a park with Peacocks around you. The birds have flocked back to my neck of the woods. Not sure what the heck they are eating as the ground is still a block of ice. Won't be long now. Congrats on another fine hunt Dan. :thumbsup: jgas

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
WTG Dan!

1909S are so hard to find, You'll find more with the amount of old coins you dig up.

I think my record of 1909S pennies found in a year was six, That's when Denny and I were hitting an old park in Fresno.

Congrats to another fine day :thumbsup:
Paul (Ca)

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer
I am loading up the car now be there in the morning LOL nice finds Dan congrats :thumbsup:

Dr. Ace

Nov 4, 2007
South-Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Ace 250
Dan,

Congrats on some great finds!!! :thumbsup: The weather here is FINALLY warming up. I may try and go out today to see what I can find. Keep the fever HIGH!

HH,

Dr. Ace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread