Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi!

Can I get some opinions on these pieces? Time period? Look authentic? I don't typically buy arrowheads unless they really catch my eye, and seem to be priced right. This was a flea market buy. Guy had a couple trays and all his pieces looked good. He said he procured these at an estate sale a few years back.

Asked 200 for both. Accepted 150.

This was a "I'll never find one, might as well buy one" moment for me. Haha!

Thank you!

Attachments

• 0529161909.jpg
    0529161909.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 132
  • 0529161908.jpg
    0529161908.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez go get your money back. Did he tell you they were reproductions? Thats what i think on them. I know some like the repros so if you like them keep them.
Hopefully Im wrong.

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Geez go get your money back. Did he tell you they were reproductions? Thats what i think on them. I know some like the repros so if you like them keep them.
Hopefully Im wrong.

Thanks, what's the giveaway? They look like they have some age and they aren't perfect, which added to my confidence in my purchase.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like 'grey ghosts' to me... They are probably 50 years old, maybe a little older... They can still be collectable though, but they arent as intricate as some of the old Grey Ghosts were though. They were knapped from slabs of (typically) Texas tabular flint and using a jig to run flakes across the surface quickly. The name of the most popular knapper of these is slipping my mind right now... Either way though, they are over priced. It is very possible that the seller didnt know what he had either............hate to ever accuse someone of doing that on purpose without more supporting info...

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The give away on these blades are 1. the price blades this size would have gone for hundreds more, 2. the odd notched blade is just not typical 3. they do look like someone antiqued them, but you can tell it is add on. Use some finger nail polish remover in a spot with a cotton ball an see if it removes anything. 4. the stone does look like a slab cut on the top blade, would need to see edge view of them to be sure and 5. the stone looks like it is heat treated. Now all of this is from a photo and just 2 shots, I would need some more photos with different views to be dead sure, but the bottom blade I think you can count it out.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those types of reproductions usually go for about $10 to $15 an inch so you paid about what they are worth. They just aren't ancient artifacts and probably not true Grey Ghosts, which are even more collectable.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
what everybody else said....all good info, lesson learned too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread