7-year-old Nabbed on Felony BB Gun Charges

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sam Grant nearly celebrated his eighth birthday party in jail.

The North Carolina boy had been charged with two felony counts of discharging his BB gun.

The parents of a then-seven-year-old North Carolina boy are beyond angry after their son was charged with two felony counts of possessing a BB gun. Just moments before the child was expected to answer to the allegations before a Catawba County judge — the charges were dropped.

Sam’s parents, Ray and Cherry Robbins told Fox News they are both relieved and angry over what happened to their son.

“They considered his BB gun a firearm,” Ray said. “”It’s not a firearm. It’s a BB gun.”

The trouble started last month when Sam was in the backyard of their rural home shooting his BB gun. His mother stepped inside to put dinner in the oven – telling the boy not to run off.

But Sam’s curiosity got the best of him — and he scampered out of the backyard – and fired his BB gun at an abandoned house across the street. In doing so, he accidentally hit a passing car.

Cherry immediately call the sheriff’s department and offered to pay for the damage to the car. The deputy sheriff took a report but said he wasn’t going to press charges and neither was the driver.

Instead, Sam’s parents took responsibility, paid for the damages and administered parental justice.

Sam got punished. They took away his BB gun and made him do community service at their local church.

“We wanted to teach him responsibility so he’s been cleaning up around the church and polishing pews to repay the $350 it cost to repair the car,” Robbins told Fox News.

But their world got rocked when the received a letter from the Department of Juvenile Justice summoning the family to court.

“They told us that they considered it to be a violent felony — discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle,” Robbins said. “It was crazy. We completely disagreed with the charges.”

Their son – was now facing the prospect of a year on probation, hundreds of hours of community service and a criminal record.

“We couldn’t imagine Sam standing in front of the court — as a judge read him the charges,” he said. “How is he supposed to understand that? He’s eight years old.”

The day before his court appearance, Sam celebrated his birthday — but there wasn’t much to celebrate.

“That night he was shaking – he was so cared he was shaking,” Robbins said. “He didn’t know what going to court meant but he knew that it was serious.”

The following day, they showed up for Sam’s hearing. But their court-appointed lawyer ushered the family into a room and told them the charges had been dropped.

“I really feel like it was a political thing,” he said. “It’s election season in our county and they didn’t have anything better to do than charge an eight-year-old boy. They got the anti-gun people revved up.”

Robbins said his son is a good boy who made a bad mistake.

“My wife and I were just completely torn up over the whole thing,” he said. “My son — he didn’t understand the severity of the charge but he understood the severity of what he did.”

And he was especially angry at local officials.

“It was infuriating what they wanted to do to that child,” he said. “This whole gun control thing is just nuts. For them to use a minor child — to prove a point and make an example — for certain groups — is just crazy.”

Life around the Robbins house is slowly returning to normal — but it’s going to be quite some time before Sam gets to shoot his BB gun.

“He’s got to earn that privilege,” Robbins told Fox News.

In the meantime — father and son are spending the weekend fishing.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Did he or did he not discharge his firearm into an occupied vehicle?

Well yes but.....

Prosecution rests your honor!

Ridiculous ain't it? But then so is giving a 7 year old a "firearm"!

BB gun? $350 damage? .....says a lot about American cars to me! :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well yes but.....

I believe under NC law a BB gun is not a firearm...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The parents obviously made a big mistake in allowing their child to have unsupervised access to a BB gun. I let my kids shoot the .22's pretty often. But, as they are not mature enough, or don't have enought training, that is completely supervised instruction. The parents should have stood up in court and plead guilty themselves to a completely different charge. THAT would be a good way to show responsibility to their child.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The parents obviously made a big mistake in allowing their child to have unsupervised access to a BB gun. I let my kids shoot the .22's pretty often. But, as they are not mature enough, or don't have enought training, that is completely supervised instruction. The parents should have stood up in court and plead guilty themselves to a completely different charge. THAT would be a good way to show responsibility to their child.

Case was dropped before it went before a judge...

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I realize that. But, the responsibility should lie with the parents.

mtau

Mar 21, 2013
MT
Detector(s) used
gmt
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good thing that everyone wasn't so psycho about guns back in the early 60s, or I would probably still be on probation. I accidentally shot a neighbors' window out with a BB gun. Had to mow lawns for a month with a sore butt, to pay for it.

OP
OP
XLTer

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definetly bad judgement on the parents part . The parents NEVER should have left a 7 yr. old alone with a BB gun . Thank God it was a car and not someones eye . But , they seemed to handle the situation responsibly after the fact . I can even see CYS paying a visit to see the situation in the home . After CYS talked with the parents and heard how they handled the situation , the situation should have been finished . A felony charge is utterly ridiculous !

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Little story from San Antonio, Texas. Neighbor boy got a BB gun as a present, started target practicing then shooting some birds in the surrounding trees and one of the neighbors called the police. He came out, talked to the neighbor and walked back to his car. I was outside and asked him what was going to happen to the boy and he said nothing. There were no laws broken, there was no law about shooting a BB gun in our city limits, no game birds were taken out of season and the case was closed. I was pretty happy because 55 years ago that kid was me. Great to live somewhere where people still have rights. And no, I didn't shoot my eye out, nor has he...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also a kid grew up in the country, I also grew up with a BB gun, Daisy pump rifle, got it when I was about 9 , loved that rifle.

I would spend all weekend in the woods with it camping and hunting in the fall time and cooking what I shot on the weekends.....was only camped about 30 yards from house but to a 10-13 year old boy you were roughing it...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The point is the parents took care of it and disciplined the child as they saw fit by taking away the gun for a bit to teach him a lesson,not make him out to be a criminal. In a perfect world its a nice thought that parents are going to make the right decisions 100 % but its not the case and yes,maybe the parents learned a lesson,their seven year old needs to be supervised,gun or not.Heck,an innocuous a rock thrown at a car could have done more damage so are we gonna ban rocks now?. Supervision is the key element here but bring a BB gun into the mix and the bottom falls out and a kids birthday is ruined .

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Very STOOPID response simply meant to irritate. You can do better than that.

Firearm is a weapon that uses GUNPOWDER to discharge a projectile Firearm - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

A bb gun uses compressed air usually with a projectile speed of 500 fps or less.

A pellet rifle like I own is a competition rifle that fires a pellet at up to 1200 fps. It also uses compressed air and therefore does not fit the definition of a firearm.

Add to that the fact that even WalMart will sell a bb gun to a 16 year old, while the government does not allow the sale of a firearm to anyone under the age of 18.

(see Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence ? Gun Law Information Experts for more information)

This is what happens when the uninformed try to stick their noses where they are UNQUALIFIED to comment on a subject.

Says a lot about a lack of common sense to me.

Firearm comes from the "FIRE" seen by people when the gun discharges.

Stoopid and meant to irritate eh?...... I just stated the facts taken from the OP's article...."“They told us that they considered it to be a violent felony — discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle,” Robbins said. “It was crazy. We completely disagreed with the charges.”

I grew up with air rifles. Only choice we had, so don't try to teach your Grandmother how to suck eggs mate ok!

By the way - a CS Gas spray is classed as a "firearm" under UK law...where's the "fire" from that?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Kind of shows how crazy Europes laws are!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Well yes but.....

Dano, you are really out of touch. Just a small scratch can cost more than $350 to fix. Not to mention any glass damaged...

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
If he was close enough to damage glass with a BB gun then he wasn't firing at no empty house! But yeah, i guess the cost can be expensive depending on the car sometimes.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If he was close enough to damage glass with a BB gun then he wasn't firing at no empty house! But yeah, i guess the cost can be expensive depending on the car sometimes.

Dano, the boy was shooting at an abandoned house across the street. The car just happened to be passing by as the boy shot the gun.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Stoopid and meant to irritate eh?...... I just stated the facts taken from the OP's article...."“They told us that they considered it to be a violent felony — discharging a firearm into an occupied vehicle,” Robbins said. “It was crazy. We completely disagreed with the charges.”

I grew up with air rifles. Only choice we had, so don't try to teach your Grandmother how to suck eggs mate ok!

By the way - a CS Gas spray is classed as a "firearm" under UK law...where's the "fire" from that?

No, you didn't state the "facts", you parroted the ignorance of "the Department of Juvenile Justice" who wrongly charged him with discharging a firearm. Need to learn the difference between facts and opinions.

Too bad you didn't have a chance to grow up with firearms, but you didn't grow up here so . . . too bad.

I really don't give a rat's backside how the Britts misclassified anything. We aren't under UK law here.

So, anyways, today we had another school assault here in the U.S. 14 injured, 12 of whom had to be hospitalized.

Damned assault knife! Wonder what size magazine he had, and how many times he had to "reload"?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definetly bad judgement on the parents part . The parents NEVER should have left a 7 yr. old alone with a BB gun . Thank God it was a car and not someones eye . But , they seemed to handle the situation responsibly after the fact . I can even see CYS paying a visit to see the situation in the home . After CYS talked with the parents and heard how they handled the situation , the situation should have been finished . A felony charge is utterly ridiculous !

I think that 7 is young for a BB gun.

I never got one, BTW. My dad's brother had an eye shot out with one as a kid. It got broken over some butts.

A BB gun may not be a firearm, but it is dangerous and one way to learn gun safety. It needs to be taken seriously.

All things being equal, I disagree with the kid ending up with a citation, but that's a local call. Some folks are terrible parents. Some are good ones.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
Dano, the boy was shooting at an abandoned house across the street. The car just happened to be passing by as the boy shot the gun.

I think that was Lee Harvey Oswald's plea too....had he made it to court!

Lol, Chadeaux, the facts are that whatever you think, they were exercising their God given rights to pursue to law to a viable conclusion. God bless America....right?

14 injured but only charged with 3....don't you find that a little odd?

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah, I find it a bit odd when a 7 year old can be charged with a felony firearm violation for shooting a window out of a car where no one is injured, but a mentally deficient person can slice up 14 persons and only get 3 charged with three.

Maybe the rest of them will sue the school and we'll get to pay for it. School should be liable for allowing him on campus and not having "Knife Free Zone" signs everywhere.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread