As gun bill filibuster grows, Obama says backers trying to use political stunts

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As gun bill filibuster grows, Obama says backers trying to use 'political stunts'

The White House lashed out Monday at Republican lawmakers threatening to filibuster gun control legislation in the Senate, accusing them of trying to pull “political stunts” and "hide" behind procedural maneuvers -- as support for the filibuster continued to grow.

Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, announced early Monday that 13 senators had signed a letter to Majority Leader Harry Reid threatening to oppose "any legislation that would infringe on the American people's constitutional right to bear arms."

Lee, along with Sens. Rand Paul, R-Ky., and Ted Cruz, R-Texas, have led efforts to hold up the legislation. The lawmakers would do so by trying to require a 60-vote threshold, which could kill the legislation.

They were joined later in the day by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, bringing the total to 14.

Reid, meanwhile, took the first steps to bring the gun control package to the floor for Senate debate, while saying he was "deeply troubled" by the Republicans' warning.

The Senate returned Monday from a two-week spring recess, and negotiators are hard at work trying to refine and prep a bill for consideration. While Lee, Paul, Cruz and others dug in on their objections, other moderates and conservatives have indicated a willingness to consider the package.

President Obama criticized the proposed filibuster during a campaign-style event at the University of Hartford in Connecticut about 45 miles from the elementary school where 20 first-graders were shot and killed in December.

“Some back in Washington are already floating the idea that they might use political stunts,” said Obama, who was introduced by Nicole Hockley, whose son, Dylan, was one of the victims. “They’re not just saying they’ll vote ‘no’ on ideas that almost all Americans support. They’re saying they won’t allow any votes on them at all.”

Many in the crowd responded by chanting: "We want a vote."

The president also said some family members who lost children in the Dec. 14 school shooting are referring to the massacre as 12/14, just like the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks are called 9/11.

“For these families, it was a day that changed everything,” Obama said. “And I know many of you in Newtown wondered if the rest of us would live up to the promises … once the television trucks left, once the candles flickered out, once the teddy bears were gathered up – your country would move on to other things. Newtown, we want you to know that we’re here with you.”

Earlier in the day, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney accused the Senate hold-outs of trying to "hide" behind the filibuster.

At the daily press briefing, he also invoked the families of the Newtown shooting victims to pressure the senators into allowing an up-or-down vote.

"Imagine what they would say to the families of the victims of Newtown about why a certain measure never came to a vote, because they filibustered," Carney said.

Eleven family members of the Sandy Hook Elementary School victims are scheduled to fly back to Washington with Obama on Air Force One. They plan to lobby lawmakers Tuesday in support of gun control.

Amid the campaign for public support, two key senators are said to be working behind the scenes on the tricky issue of background checks.

Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Pat Toomey and West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin are reportedly in talks for a proposal to expand the checks to gun shows and Internet sales -- but, importantly, exempt some sales between hunters or close relatives.

It's unclear whether such a proposal would be embraced by pro-gun rights conservatives and the National Rifle Association, which so far has opposed the kind of comprehensive firearms legislation pushed by Obama and his allies in Congress.

But the issue of family members and others being subjected to an expanded background check system for sales between them has become an obstacle.

The most controversial element of a gun control package -- a renewed ban on assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines -- has been dropped from the main bill, though it will still likely get a vote as an amendment.

But the push to expand background checks remains and has emerged as a sticking point, though White House aides and congressional Democrats point to polling that shows public support for universal background checks strong.

Opponents to the expanded checks worry that the new system could be cumbersome for family members and others involved in casual transfers.

Carney declined to comment in any depth on the Toomey-Manchin talks at Monday's briefing.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I wrote my letters to many of them, including McConnell, I hope somebody is getting the message. Keep it up folks, taint over yet.

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
Just sent McConnell another e-mail, and Rand one earlier today.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also writing again....:thumbup:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Political Stunt like Closing the Capitol to tours because of the "sequester" when the tour guides are all volunteers? Political Stunt like having the Sandy Hook choir sing at the inauguration? Political stunts like Bringing the Parents of Sandy Hook kids to Capitol Hill to speak to congress? Oh wait those weren't stunts... I Guess this Pres WOULD know a "Political Stunt" We need to take our country back..and I dont need to hear from any swede on this either...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Political Stunt like Closing the Capitol to tours because of the "sequester" when the tour guides are all volunteers?

Yes. The American people want to cut cut cut Government spending. The thing is, when it impacts them negatively in any way, they don't want to cut anymore.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Political Stunt like Closing the Capitol to tours because of the "sequester" when the tour guides are all volunteers? Political Stunt like having the Sandy Hook choir sing at the inauguration? Political stunts like Bringing the Parents of Sandy Hook kids to Capitol Hill to speak to congress? Oh wait those weren't stunts... I Guess this Pres WOULD know a "Political Stunt" We need to take our country back..and I dont need to hear from any swede on this either...

The thing is, alot of people do not understand that volunteers work for free, costing nothing, no pay, no budget. How do you make a point when a small concept washes over them? We really do need to take back our country,, looks like we have A LOT of teaching to do,, this could take awhile.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yes. The American people want to cut cut cut Government spending. The thing is, when it impacts them negatively in any way, they don't want to cut anymore.

Duh, maybe if, you know, uh we didn't have all these parties every other night. Duh, with, uh . . . all these stars like musician, you know. Or maybe all the fat cat democratic lobbyist getting private tours.

Hell, if you and I are paying for these, they are the ones that need to be cut. The White House tours for the public are FREE to the government. You DON'T pay for VOLUNTEERS, but you do pay for these "professionals" to get favors from the president and his cronies. The staff necessary for one of these semiweekly concerts or other parties is more than enough to pay for an entire month of public tours.

No, it isn't about cutting spending. It is about a childish person not getting his way.

You know, like if you told your two year old they can't have that piece of candy they want --- lying on the floor, kicking and screaming and crying because she didn't get her way.

Just a childish "payback" for their trying to reign in his incredible spending spree. He's already spent much more than George W. Bush, and he's only 4 1/2 years in.

Last edited:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

What you want or don't want is totally irrelevent here because you have no say in it! However, this must be your lucky day as you're not hearing from any Swede on this! :)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What? They are not flying in the families of fast and furious victims to testify to the effectiveness of background checks??? They don,t get a vote?. They won,t be trotted out in a group of solidarity to show there really needs to be something done about what happened ?.
What other group worked as close to and were affected by those who enforce and create the rules regarding weapons ?. I say they deserve the truth and a vote. How can any one top the political stunt of those responsible for enforcing law violating same law?. Nothing should go forward until issue resolved and those responsible are held accountable and imprisoned the same as any civilian would have been.

Last edited:

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you want or don't want is totally irrelevent here because you have no say in it! However, this must be your lucky day as you're not hearing from any Swede on this! :)

You know I think Ol' Dano is finally gettin' it! When he says that "because you have no say in it" there Dano hit it on the head. This Bunch up there in Washington think that because it is the last term that he can do as he pleases because (we have no say in it) as he can't be reelected....BUT he better remember that he can still go to prison, and that will be another "1st" he sets. 1st former pres. jailed....I think it will happen in about 2018, wish it could be sooner, but I think it will take that long....and flyin' those poor parents from Sandy Hook to Washington on Air Force One is sure to be mis-apprieration of funds, those poor tramuatized parents have been through enough and can be brain washed so easy into saying that guns are to blame!!! And this Pres and his men know that and are using it to further their agenda... Yes, I hate what happened to those kids, but it is so funny that the ones who cry about our guns and want to take them are the same ones that oppose the death penalty???? WHY???? Simple if you are convicted of murder, set a second trial for say 3 months....then in 3 months give a second trial...yes we need to be sure beyond a reasonable doudt, two times to take a life....BUT when convicted the 2nd time sentence the scumbag to death the following morning at 0700hrs and then at 0700hrs the next morning exacute them!!!! That is what we need!!!!!!!!!!!!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You know I think Ol' Dano is finally gettin' it! When he says that "because you have no say in it" there Dano hit it on the head. This Bunch up there in Washington think that because it is the last term that he can do as he pleases because (we have no say in it) as he can't be reelected....BUT he better remember that he can still go to prison, and that will be another "1st" he sets. 1st former pres. jailed....I think it will happen in about 2018, wish it could be sooner, but I think it will take that long....and flyin' those poor parents from Sandy Hook to Washington on Air Force One is sure to be mis-apprieration of funds, those poor tramuatized parents have been through enough and can be brain washed so easy into saying that guns are to blame!!! And this Pres and his men know that and are using it to further their agenda... Yes, I hate what happened to those kids, but it is so funny that the ones who cry about our guns and want to take them are the same ones that oppose the death penalty???? WHY???? Simple if you are convicted of murder, set a second trial for say 3 months....then in 3 months give a second trial...yes we need to be sure beyond a reasonable doudt, two times to take a life....BUT when convicted the 2nd time sentence the scumbag to death the following morning at 0700hrs and then at 0700hrs the next morning exacute them!!!! That is what we need!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mis-appropriation of funds?

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well seeing as I said I don't "need" to hear from any swede, your comment is irrelevant. :)

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Closing the Capitol to tours is no skin off my back, I've been there. Closing it to tours then blaming it on the sequester is just plain BS. Tour guides are volunteers, that means they don't get paid, so the government is not saving anything by closing it. Don't go on saying "Well what about the electricity bill to have the lights on during the tours and what about security?" That stuff is going to be used any way they didn't close the Capitol Building they just stopped the tours.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Well seeing as I said I don't "need" to hear from any swede, your comment is irrelevant. :)

Not really friend...I'm British! But i'm used to the American stu........confusion! No harm done eh? :)

So Obama is "brainwashing those poor parents" into believing that "guns are bad" Sackett? Somehow i doubt it's going to be a huge task! (seek help).

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You never "need" to hear from anyone. One can choose to exist with as much of a "closed" or "open" mind as they want. I choose being open minded.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not really friend...I'm British! But i'm used to the American stu........confusion! No harm done eh? :)

So Obama is "brainwashing those poor parents" into believing that "guns are bad" Sackett? Somehow i doubt it's going to be a huge task! (seek help).

Dano, it is really quite simple, but I'll try to explain it with small words and big letters:

HE IS EXPLOITING THEIR GRIEF FOR POLITICAL GAIN!

OBAMA HAS SAID IT WON'T STOP "GUN VIOLENCE."

WHY DID HE SAY IT WON'T STOP "GUN VIOLENCE"?

SIMPLY BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE VIOLENT, GUNS ARE ONLY TOOLS.

"PEOPLE VIOLENCE" IS NEVER ADDRESSED.

THEY RECEIVE A SHORT SENTENCE AND ARE RELEASED.

THE SAME "SHORT BUS" RIDERS WHO CLAIM GUNS CAUSE VIOLENCE -
THEY ARE THE SAME ONES WHO ARE AGAINST CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.

YOU EVER SEE A DEAD MAN OR WOMAN KILL ANYONE?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Dano, it is really quite simple, but I'll try to explain it with small words and big letters:

HE IS EXPLOITING THEIR GRIEF FOR POLITICAL GAIN!

OBAMA HAS SAID IT WON'T STOP "GUN VIOLENCE."

WHY DID HE SAY IT WON'T STOP "GUN VIOLENCE"?

SIMPLY BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE VIOLENT, GUNS ARE ONLY TOOLS.

"PEOPLE VIOLENCE" IS NEVER ADDRESSED.

THEY RECEIVE A SHORT SENTENCE AND ARE RELEASED.

THE SAME "SHORT BUS" RIDERS WHO CLAIM GUNS CAUSE VIOLENCE -
THEY ARE THE SAME ONES WHO ARE AGAINST CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.

YOU EVER SEE A DEAD MAN OR WOMAN KILL ANYONE?

Why are you shouting?

Short bus?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread