725 pounds from the Expressway Authority

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just inspected and bid on 725 LB of foreign and mutilated coins. Once a year they get rid of anything rejected by the toll machines. It looked just the same as all the stuff I detect at the beach. Coins, keys, washers, tokens, clad, and junk. I bid on it using the avg weight of beach finds. Did see a 1943 steel penny and had to toss it back in the bag. Could be anything in this lot of stuff. I'll find out on the 20th if I have the winning bid.
I expect other toll roads around the country must do this as well. It was not very well advertised.
Wish me luck.

Tek

Upvote 0

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting, are there any Canadian CRHs on here?

Yes, but they stopped posting recently. The government culls the silver and then melts them down to make silver maple leafs.

Also to the OP- If you have any questions about the values of some of the coins (whether they are silver/key dates), just PM me and I'll be happy to answer.

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Thank you Sag, My wife goes up to Philly all the time and her home office is walking distance from here. I can see it now: Hey honey would you mind bringing this 40LB bag of coins in your carry on....

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, are there any Canadian CRHs on here?

I am - Sorta - I live in washington, and always buy the canadian they have. I have pulled a partial roll of AG dimes, and 5 or so silver quarters.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds cool BUT i would think someone would take the good stuff out??

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hopefully some silver is in there. Gold would be nice, but who knows.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Sag, My wife goes up to Philly all the time and her home office is walking distance from here. I can see it now: Hey honey would you mind bringing this 40LB bag of coins in your carry on....

Be careful dealing with them. I've taken some foreign coin to them a couple times. They will tell you that their price list on the web is old, then offer you a different price. Last time I went they offered 70% of value for Canadian. When I said they paid me 80% previously, they denied they had "EVER" paid that much, even though the first time I went, they did. I believe they will pay a better percentage on larger amounts.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful dealing with them. I've taken some foreign coin to them a couple times. They will tell you that their price list on the web is old, then offer you a different price. Last time I went they offered 70% of value for Canadian. When I said they paid me 80% previously, they denied they had "EVER" paid that much, even though the first time I went, they did. I believe they will pay a better percentage on larger amounts.

I would never send any Canadian. I would take all of them and save up for a trip to Canada.

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
The winning bid was $50.00 more than mine. No prize for second place. I could have used those car wash tokens. Will try again next year. Maybe time to hunt some rolls? The posts here have got me interested in giving it a try.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in michigan and we get tons of canadian here. So far I have only found a canadian silver quarter and dime so far. I have gotten into the habit of asking tellers at my pickup spots or just any bank I am driving by. so far no tellers have any canadians to give me but that's ok. never hurts to ask. On the good side I took an extra 100 bucks I had and bought about 100 in silver since it fell to 31 dollars. Unfortunately I couldn't buy silver when it fell to 29 just yesterday because I got stuck due to winter storm Draco. When did they start to naming winter storms?

Sincerely, Garoulady

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread