Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Great to see you're still riding that hot streak Robert. BTW - that's the first hammered coin I've seen holed. I have many 18th century Spanish silvers that were holed, but I guess that practice wasn't as common prior to the mid-17th century. Or am I incorrect with that assumption??

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Great to see you're still riding that hot streak Robert. BTW - that's the first hammered coin I've seen holed. I have many 18th century Spanish silvers that were holed, but I guess that practice wasn't as common prior to the mid-17th century. Or am I incorrect with that assumption??
Hello Bill. Good question, there is lots of debate on holed coins. It could indicate that the coin was no longer acceptable for circulation. It could mean the coin had been worn as a touch piece. Or even that it had been kept on a length of thread with many other coins. The touch of a king in Medieval times was thought to cure just about anything. Kings were thought to rule by the divine right of god. James I, did I think revive the ceremony . I have years ago found a touch piece a penny of Richard II, my daughter wears it for luck.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Bill. Good question, there is lots of debate on holed coins. It could indicate that the coin was no longer acceptable for circulation. It could mean the coin had been worn as a touch piece. Or even that it had been kept on a length of thread with many other coins. The touch of a king in Medieval times was thought to cure just about anything. Kings were thought to rule by the divine right of god. James I, did I think revive the ceremony . I have years ago found a touch piece a penny of Richard II, my daughter wears it for luck.

Very interesting Robert. I've always been under the impression that coins were holed to help facilitate their safekeeping by sewing to the inside of a jacket or pocket. I guess some could have been worn as a pendant, but almost all of mine have the holes in random spots which makes me think they were generally not being worn as a touch piece. My earliest coin with a hole is the 1659 Lord Baltimore sixpence I found last fall. I also have some late 17th century Spanish cobs that were holed too, but none of my 20 British hammered sixpences, shillings or half crowns (1560 - 1640) have that feature.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good going Rob :thumbsup: Carefull with the discrim that high, you might push out stycas. Holed coins, Gold holed coins over three hundred years, can be classed as Treasure trove because like Rob said they have been taken out of circulation.

SS

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Good going Rob :thumbsup: Carefull with the discrim that high, you might push out stycas. Holed coins, Gold holed coins over three hundred years, can be classed as Treasure trove because like Rob said they have been taken out of circulation.

SS
Hello Colin, That's what's make it strange. Taken out of circulation, means simply that. How come these coins keep turning up in the soil :dontknow:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Colin, That's what's make it strange. Taken out of circulation, means simply that. How come these coins keep turning up in the soil :dontknow:
I think mainly the hole was to keep coins secure, by sowing them inside clothing, if not they sure are a lot of touch pieces in the ground.:laughing7: Of course it was a crime to deface or clip a coin, but mainly coins were used by there silver content and weight.

SS

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn you Rob!!!!!!!! I'm not speaking to you again until I can get my hands in the dirt. You're over there digging hammered silvers and I'm trying to dig through snow when it's -20. Not fair bro....not fair. Sooty I'm so bitter. Great finds by the way 8-)

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
I think mainly the hole was to keep coins secure, by sowing them inside clothing, if not they sure are a lot of touch pieces in the ground.:laughing7: Of course it was a crime to deface or clip a coin, but mainly coins were used by there silver content and weight.

SS
My theory just formulated over several beers is thus. A coin was taken out of circulation by piercing it. But it was not taken from the owner, it simply could not be used as a coin. After all the owner had received it in good faith, and the coin still had it's scrap silver value. The theory must be correct, because several beers say so.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My theory just formulated over several beers is thus. A coin was taken out of circulation by piercing it. But it was not taken from the owner, it simply could not be used as a coin. After all the owner had received it in good faith, and the coin still had it's scrap silver value. The theory must be correct, because several beers say so.
I agree respect the Beers.:notworthy:

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Damn you Rob!!!!!!!! I'm not speaking to you again until I can get my hands in the dirt. You're over there digging hammered silvers and I'm trying to dig through snow when it's -20. Not fair bro....not fair. Sooty I'm so bitter. Great finds by the way 8-)
- 20 hope you've got gloves on Ahab.

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting discussion. The Crown must have literally had plenty of Silver to throw around the way y'all find it over there. More great saves and another great midieval utilitarian item in the buckle.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice debate on the holed coins, and to your two addictions to the pile.

Reason for so many holed coins found in the soils is the cheap thread they had in the day.:)

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive heard a few reasons for holes coins. One being that the antibacterial properties of silver preserves dairy cream and milk. Either way nice finds and thanks for sharing them.

Brrrrrrrrrr from New Jersey!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice debate on the holed coins, and to your two addictions to the pile.

Reason for so many holed coins found in the soils is the cheap thread they had in the day.:)

I actually believe that many of the holed coins found in the US were actually carried on a piece of wire. Looking at the wear inside the holes of many late 18th and early 19th c. examples, this must be the case. I have no knowledge about wire vs. thread for holed coins that date earlier than the 18th century--because I've never dug one.

-Buck

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badge probably WWI.

You have had more hammered since Nov, than Dad & I had all last year!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I actually believe that many of the holed coins found in the US were actually carried on a piece of wire. Looking at the wear inside the holes of many late 18th and early 19th c. examples, this must be the case. I have no knowledge about wire vs. thread for holed coins that date earlier than the 18th century--because I've never dug one.

-Buck

I meant it more as a tongue in cheek comment Buck, though your response has me thinking as the wire theory makes more sense than thread causing the wear. If you have ever found a Whizzer the holes are still pretty defined with little side wear not like the coin holes show.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread