78 Degrees on January 2nd???

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
It was an incredibly beautiful day at the beach; even by Florida standards. January 2nd and 78 degrees. I had the day off and I just HAD TO hit the beach with my new toy: A Minelab Excalibur 800. As you can see from the picture, I had a pretty eventful day. I worked the sand for about 2 hours in each direction and met some wonderful people, including two young boys who were budding detectorists. I captured $2.03 in clad, too. And one of those darned fool tokens that looks old and colonial with an eagle and stars... and has "No cash value" on the reverse. Crap! All in all it was a near perfect day. I've begun to learn how to use a detector who conveys information to me by sound. I now look forward to the "sick seagull" screech that signifies buried coins and the sad washed out tone of tin foil. Can't wait to hear what kind of noise gold will make! I was completely tuckered out after 4 hours of swinging my new detector; gotta get that balacing shaft that should make all the difference. Then I'll be heading out into the waves (weather permitting!) and I'll have another story to tell. Until then - Happy New Year, everyone!
Ruth

Attachments

• Daytona Haul 010206.jpg
    Daytona Haul 010206.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
weather was great here also in alabama , in the 70's , got out short time just clad, like your fines , got more then me ,,

Strand-Filter

Dec 10, 2005
Florida
I know what you mean Ruth. ?

I'm in DeBary, sitting on my lanai in shorts and a tee shirt sipping a cool cocktail while catching up on TreasureNet. ?

You had some fun finds at the beach. ?

Congratulations on the new detector. ?

I'll look for you at the beach. ?

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Haven't heard from you in a long time, Sea. Let us know your progress with your new detector.

Proolio

Sep 25, 2005
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice day detecting, keep it up and hh

M

Max

Lucky you,
I B sitting here watching the big snow fakes falling, wishing I could detect.
Max

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NIce job....you saved alot of people's feet too..good luck and HH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And wasn't it a beautiful day!

Congrats on your new toy and your finds!

;)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sounds like a great day. Soft sand and salty air, wish I was there. Good luck with the Minelab, can't wait to see your 1st gold with it. HH

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new Minelab and having the good weather to go break it in.

Huntin' 59er

OP
OP
SaintSea

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Hey - Thanks for all the nice comments. I hear that the temperature is ready to drop about 40 degrees by tomorrow morning, so that makes yesterday's weather anomaly just that much more special.
I think I'm starting to see a trend in my finds; like Nana, who finds bullets, I'm starting an collection of nail clippers! I never realized that so many people 1. carry them and 2. lose them. My new detector did an incredible job at helping me weed out the iron that pops up everywhere at Daytona. I found, and tossed, a whole lot of bottle caps before I got the hang of their particular sound. And glass! Jeez - when will people learn that glass and beach don't mix??? It was infuriating to find, but felt good to help clean up the beach. What an incredible hobby we share; we meet nice people, get exercise, do our civic duty and maybe, just maybe, walk away with something valuable beyond a day well spent. Ah, life is good!
Ruth

G

Goot

Good luck with your new machine. Your off to a great start.

Goot

Ace 250

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA
Congrats Ruth on the great finds with a new detector, Much better than my first hunt.
Don't sell yourself short on that darn fool token, it may be the most valuable find
of your day>>>> Never know until you research out & prove those finds...... either prove them
Worthless or, worth more. Take time to search them out...... ;) Sometimes it pays..... :-\
HH
SS

treasures4me2find

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2005
Murphy, N.C.
Beatiful day, great assortment of finds, new detector, out MDing..and on the beach...does it get any better. Sounds like you had a great day. Good luck in 2006.

Ken

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread