8 dimes in 1 foot of eachother plus one 1/2 coin i cant ID please help

Indyfan73

Nov 5, 2008
INDIANAPOLIS
Detector(s) used
white's to many to list
Went out hunting yesterday and found 8 dime's in one square foot of eachother. i have never had this happen before. the earliest is a 1950D to 1974 P. How often dose this happen 8 in one area. :o

This was a new spot for me under a bridge next to a local park.

But i have a problem with cleaning the silver i cant get the river crud off.
dose anyone have any cleaning tips to see the silver again. :icon_sunny:

now the oddest of them all i found 1/2 of a coin about 10 feet away and cant id it it is silver Tested it on the meter. one side is badly encrusted for the river the other has very little to id from the pattern is circles going all the way down to the center?? (i hope. and some lettering that i cant read maybe some cleaning to see what is on the other side.

o the bridge is about 90 years old and is a limited use bridge.

Attachments

• S5030400.JPG
    S5030400.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 610
  • S5030401.JPG
    S5030401.JPG
    174 KB · Views: 616
  • S5030402.JPG
    S5030402.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 602
Upvote 0
Nice haul, it's always hard getting that tarnish off of silver coins that have been in water for a while, you could try some silver jewlery cleaner or get some silver dip. Even thou they are rosies & not worth anymore then the silver content, I wouldn't clean them up to much!

I've used Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on silver and it works great for cleaning (only use on non valuable coins).

Now, the eight dimes in the 1-foot area. . . most likely a "pocket spill". Anytime you hunt in "out-of-the-way"
places in or near parks etc; where you find one coin, chances are better than 50-50 you'll find more
in the same vacinity :wink:

Nice hunt,
watercolor

I'd like to take a guess on the 1/2 coin..........I think it might be a token from a shell gasoline promotion. Do you remember when they had all the presidents? The design around the word shell doesn't look quite like a legitimate coin. Just my opinion.

Steve, Got_4by4

This works to clean badley tarnished silver. Its a mild electrolysis.

Lay a piece of tin foil inside a bowl. Drop the coins on the foil. Cover with about 1/4 cup baking soda and a dash of salt. Pour boiling water over and let it sit until the water cools. Then wipe off the tarnish with a soft cloth. Repeat if it doesn't all come off

In a small Park I once found eight silver Roosies in the same hole, all silver and early 1960's! I checked this place and never found another old coin, not even a wheat cent!! Congrats on your silver!

Looks like a Shilling coin, maybe British. HH, Mike

seger98 said:
Nice haul, it's always hard getting that tarnish off of silver coins that have been in water for a while, you could try some silver jewlery cleaner or get some silver dip. Even thou they are rosies & not worth anymore then the silver content, I wouldn't clean them up to much!

On common date silver coins, I rinse them with water to remove all sand and dirt. Once I am sure there is no remaining soil, I rub them with a soft cloth. The greasy crud comes right off, and it wont leave scratches.

I don't recommend this with any key date coins!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back