8 Silver ~ 49 Wheats ~ Token ~ Injun ~ Jewelry!!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello My Friends!!

I'm having a pretty productive week so far detecting two heavily pillaged parks. :whip2: Every detectorist in S. Cal has probably been to these two parks if they are interested in finding old coins.

Today, I met up with Bob(Bullfrog), Mike(ratman), and his Dad at an LA barrio park. Bob had to leave early, but no sooner after we greeted each other in the morning, I was locating deep targets. The wet, saturated ground has definitely helped in finding the really deep coins. Today, I found many of my teen wheaties, the '04 Injun, and the token beyond 9" in a heavily detected area. These signals were very faint, and if you didn't know what to listen for, you would have passed right over them. The signals were zinc'y and broken in tone. I think out of the 20 wheats I found today, about 10 of them were in the teens and 20's, including a 1909(Philly mint). The token says "Morton's Stag Lunch", "Redondo Beach", "Good For 10 In Trade". Any info on it would be appreciated. It was a lot of fun to detect the old Barrio today. Oh, and the little silver mariner's pendant was a signal I normally don't dig, but since I was showing Bob at the time what a pull-tab to zinc target was, I just happened to dig the small piece of silver.... ::)

Thanks for looking!
Keep The Passion High! :headbang:

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3366_sm.jpg
    IMG_3366_sm.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 817
  • Injun_Token_021809.jpg
    Injun_Token_021809.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 816
  • IMG_3363_sm.jpg
    IMG_3363_sm.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 816
Upvote 0

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds, but what happend to the face of Jesus on the pendant?

pro-

midirtdevil

Sep 21, 2008
Holland, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome stuff! Great wheaties, cant say you havent had yours today. LOL! KOD!!!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Outstanding, great post and finds Captn_ SE :icon_king:.

Thanks for such a great post and clear photos :thumbsup:.

Good Luck.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Awesome finds!!! I would love a day like that!!!

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Dan, you could of made a video of that day (with faint signal sound) and sold them for $19.95 a piece.

Title---"Dans Gone Wild"

Great day, WTG!

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
WTG Dan,

You still know how to find old coins :thumbsup:

Here's a pic from my California Tokens book of your token, Off to the side of the picture (not shown) it says the token to be worth $5.00 bucks at time of the token book print.

Morton's Stage Lunch came out with a 5 cent token too, Yours is made of brass and is 23mm in size.

With inflation, wear of coin I will give you $6 bucks for the 10 cent token ;D

Just kidding, That's a $35-50 dollar token.

Congrats Dan!
Paul (Ca)

Attachments

• 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 378
OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hey, Paul, how's it going? Haven't heard from you in a while!

Thanks so much for the info on the token! It was a deeeeep target.

Any ideas of what your impression of a "stag lunch" would be? ;D

Hope all is going well with you!

Take care,

Dan
CAPTN SE

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Stag Lunch

Item Description

Price
Per Person

Number People to Serve
Cold Meat Tray (summer sausage, ham, roast beef, turkey) Kaiser Buns, Relishes (variety of pickles, olives and pickled corn), Tomatoes, Onions, Mustard, Mayonaisse and Cheese Tray

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hi Dan,

Hard to say what type of establishment it was, Some hole in the wall or a nice diner?

Regardless, Still a very nice $35-50 find.

Keep up the good finds Dan, And good to see you're still out there finding deep coins :thumbsup:

Paul (Ca)

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
litefire56 said:
Stag Lunch

Item Description

Price
Per Person

Number People to Serve
Cold Meat Tray (summer sausage, ham, roast beef, turkey) Kaiser Buns, Relishes (variety of pickles, olives and pickled corn), Tomatoes, Onions, Mustard, Mayonaisse and Cheese Tray

other meanings of "stag"

To attend a social gathering unaccompanied by a partner. Used especially of men....I'm not going with anybody else tonight....I'm going "stag"... ;D

HH,

CAPTN SE

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Just another day in Cali....for the ole Captn! Nice ones again my friend. You are killing those parks buddy. Nice job. jgas

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
kdismuke1 said:
you are the man captain. wish i had places to hunt like you. and to know how to hunt like you. :thumbsup:

Thanks, buddy! Good luck in your area! :thumbsup:

WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW Dan ~ very impressive finds! Silver, Injuns, and wheats are always fun to dig ~ but trade tokens are the icing on the cake! I love digging trade tokens! WOOHOO!!!!!

8^)

Thanks, Neil. I knew you'd like that token. It's so thin too. It was very exciting to dig it up from the depth of 10".

ModernMiner said:
Good Lord Dan!!! :o
Are you sure you aren't minting silver coins out of your house? :icon_scratch: ;D :wink:
Those suckers are blinding me all the way over here in NC. :thumbsup:
Amazing digs big guy.
Congrats buddy,
Doug

Thanks, Doug. No, I'm not minting it...I'm "mining it" :D I'm hoping you can get a trade token in your area too....that's the real prize of my post this time.

seger98 said:
OK, here is my WOW again! LOL Nice finds.

Thanks, Seger! Good luck to you!! :thumbsup:

Well Done Dan, your silver and wheat finds for the year are impressive. Thanks for sharing, Continued Success and HH.

Thanks, TopDog!! So far so good....I have gotten off to a great start!

The Buzzard King said:
WOW, looks like you did ALOT of digging!
Looks like you could fill a Whitmans folder with all the wheats!
Nice assortment of silver too! :thumbsup:
Congrats!

Thanks, TBK! Yep, it takes a lot of digging to pull the deepies! Hmmmm...let's see....49 wheats X 6" average = 24.5 feet of digging....LOL

Very nice finds. I just purchased an SE Pro and I am looking forward to finding some of that good stuff. Seems to be real different than my GTI 2500.

Thanks, Crevias. Yes, I saw that you purchased it from Brett! Yes, it's completely different than your 2500. Just keep using it, and it will reward you! :thumbsup:

Mr. Pappagiorgio said:
The passion is being "Kept High" ...

Rock on Daniel Rock On ... :thumbsup:

~ Nick ~

Thanks, Nick! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Good Luck to you!

Another great day you had and those merks are in great shape.
Marty

Thanks, Marty! Keep up the great hunting and finds!! You're doing well in the field!! :thumbsup:

As always outstanding finds !!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Thanks, MUD! Appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Very Nice Dan that token is great WTG HH

Thanks, Ron! I knew you'd like that token too. You have found some really good ones too! :thumbsup:

silverfreak said:
Good stuff Dan. I almost pulled the trigger today...and got the SE out...but then the temps dropped to 28 degrees by noon :violent1: It won't be long for me...but at least I can view all the posts here until then :thumbsup:

Thanks, Bryce! Man, you're so so close to getting out there, I can smell it all the way over here... ;D I can't wait to see old silver and Injuns from 9-10" depths from you!

Great Finds Dan, Those Mercury dimes look like they were just dropped.

HH, Ringfinder

Thanks, Ringfinder! Yeah, they come out of the ground in pristine condition at this park.

robbuckalew said:
They are some nice finds...not bad for a days work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks, robbuckalew! It was actually three separate hunts totaling about 1.5 days of detecting.

kimsdad said:
WOW! WOW!
:icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king: :icon_king:

You didn't happen to get those faint tones on a video by chance, did ya? That's one I'd like to hear!

Thanks, Neil. Nope. No video....but they are permanently inside my head! ;D ;D You should be getting out soon....good luck to you!!

east tx digger said:
You da man..... :notworthy:

Thanks,east tx digger!! :thumbsup:

Nice finds capn! thats a great day!

Thanks, Sage! Appreciate it! Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

gold nuggets said:
Nice finds Dan....WTG with the silver,IH and wheats and the token. :thumbsup:
We are finding some deeper targets here also... the rain helps.
Keep on digging the silver!!!!
Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks, Richard! Good luck to you too!! :thumbsup:

treasures4me2find said:
Those are some great finds. Sure don't fine anything like that yet, here in Murphy, NC. But I will keep trying. Congrats on those good looking coins. kas :hello2:

Really? There's silver everywhere in the US. May not be as much in your area as in S. Cal, but it's gotta be there. Good luck!!

Awsome finds and a great week for sure. Still waiting for the ground to thaw here!

Thanks, LostAtSea! I think you'll be getting out there soon!! :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak said:
Love all of the silver coins and the token! I can't wait until I get back into hunting! Right now I have been majorly sick with some cold/flu. Plus to make it worse JuJu has gotten the cold/flu but from his neices. We won't be going out until next weekend :(

Thanks, DF. Sorry to hear that you and JuJu got sick. Get well soon. :thumbsup:

great finds, but what happend to the face of Jesus on the pendant?

pro-

Thanks, Pro. The lawnmowers do crazy things to all metal object in the ground around here. That's probably what happened.

Awesome stuff! Great wheaties, cant say you havent had yours today. LOL! KOD!!!

Thanks, ChatKing! I always get my fill of wheaties!! Averaging around 4.6 wheats to every silver coin.

Ant said:
Outstanding, great post and finds Captn_ SE :icon_king:.

Thanks for such a great post and clear photos :thumbsup:.

Good Luck.

Thanks, Anthony. Continued success at your RR site!! :thumbsup:

HolyDiver said:
Great mercs and IH. :thumbsup:

Thanks, HolyDiver! Good luck to you!! :thumbsup:

Awesome finds!!! I would love a day like that!!!

Thanks, Lairmo! Anything is possible....all you need to do is swing your machine.

way to go on all of that sweet silver and wheaties...

Thanks, Allen! Appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Dan, you could of made a video of that day (with faint signal sound) and sold them for $19.95 a piece.

Title---"Dans Gone Wild"

Great day, WTG!

Thanks, LiteFire! A video would definitely had been cool. Those were some of the deepest signals I ever dug in S. Cal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread