Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at the bank yesterday dumping some halves and atalking with the teller who had to swap out the bags. He was telling me about an account holder who used to play poker to win money and had switched to CRH. He routinely does $8,000 a week of halves and then dumps them at their bank (he gets them at another bank). It takes over an hour to dump 8,000+ coins with multiple bag cahnges. I am amazed that they allow it.

Upvote 0

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not for long :cussing: that twit will ruin it for hunters who use common sense :BangHead:

like shooting a chipmunk with a Barrett M107A :angry5:

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
not for long :cussing: that twit will ruin it for hunters who use common sense :BangHead:

like shooting a chipmunk with a Barrett M107A :angry5:

We call it stewed chipmunk

But I agree, That is why I spread my returns/dumps over 6 different banks so you only hit them once a month

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used to play poker the guy said...
238AFF30-4D97-4D26-9DDE-9AD1BCB851FB.gif

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how much is a reasonable amout of rolled halves to turn into one bank at a time? 150, 200, 300????

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I get 2 boxes of halves per week, and only buy from one bank, BofA. There are 7 branches of Chase bank in my general area, and only dump 2 boxes at the 6 branches. So I don't overload any branch with my 2 boxes and only see each branch ever 6 weeks. They don't seem to mind that kind of dumping. I use the 7th branch as my less than a full box dump point when i get loose halves as I stop at branches of all the banks in this area asking for any halves they might have. Sometimes it may be months before I have to go to the th branch. They are in a grocery store and really small so I never give them boxes.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how much is a reasonable amout of rolled halves to turn into one bank at a time? 150, 200, 300????

There is no "magic number." It is just going to depend upon the bank - or more specifically, the branch manager.

Johnny5

Feb 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelabs CTX 3030, Excalibur and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys, Happy New Year to all, Also HH.

JobIII

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8K is a lot each week. I think at my max was returning around $4k a week at a single location. And at that branch I had a really good relationship, and numerous other services that I had to pay for.

It really is a floating number that can quickly change with very little reason behind it.

Also that story about switching from poker sounds like a lie.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I regularly dumped $3k/week at one branch for years, but they had a coin counting machine there that held something like 30,000 coins - they only had to change the bin maybe once per year when I was there. However, it should be said that I made sure they were ok with my dumping there, I did my best to ensure they were never inconvenienced if possible, and I made sure to KEEP THEM HAPPY! Still do, even though I rarely dump there, because you never know when you'll need that goodwill or relationship again. They got chocolates every Valentines Day, cookies every Christmas, and perhaps more to the point I refinanced my mortgage there. It was a win/win situation, and it really solidified the relationship.

Bottom line, dump what makes sense, but make sure you don't burn bridges, either for yourself or other hunters.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I think 2 boxes at a time in one month is pretty much the most you can do unless you have super good friends there. Just try not to burn them out. I burnt out a small urban bank in a few months with bi-weekly dumps and they called me to let me know "policies had changed" and I could only dump $50 in coin at a time. We are still on a personal phone number basis and I put them back on my "pickup bank" roster. They call me when people bring more than $50 in change and ask me if I'll come take it off them before they accept it. I am their smalltime courier. I always say ok and they haven't gotten any mega dumps. I also haven't gotten anything great but had a few false hopes when people bring them a bunch of Ikes or Halves. I seem to have a few dump banks that are also other peoples pickup banks. I am always clear " the other guy doesn't want these, they need to be shipped out." The head teller knows what we are up to and keeps everyone happy which is really above and beyond. I started by trying to pick up at these banks and realizing they already had a guy. I don't do the small dumps since they clog the branches until they reach either $500-$1000 for the courier so I just end up buying the $250 and under dumps and lumping them with my dumps until I can get rid of them. Its annoying but it keeps my branches free. I miss when every bank had a machine.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
the most ever i turned in for more rolls since my two banks don't coin counters was $75 which was a mix of quarters,dimes,pennies,and nickles

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to do my returns at Well Fargo. They wanted them in increments of $500 in the heavy duty plastic bags and even supplied them for free. I would go to a couple different WF's so as not to make a pest. But one WF banned me. It was a very tiny branch and the vault teller/manager came out to tell me NO MORE. Seems I had filled up her safe and there was no more room ;)

OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
If I couldn't do coin counters I would stop CRHing. as I have mentioned in another thread I have 10 banks with coin counters and am doing about 4-6 boxes a month, so hopefully each bank gets about $300-400 once a month. That is not too bad.

I may also look for banks further away, bit more of a drive but I can spread it over even more branches. Someone told me they drive 50 miles each way to a dump bank to get it out of the return stream but I think that is too much, I don't mind about 15 miles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread