9 gallons of pennies!! 3 Gallons wheat!!

cchunter

Feb 28, 2009
Brewster, Cape Cod MA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro / Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was cleaning a basement for a customer that the husband had past away. I got to keep all the fly fishing, tools ect that I wanted. They paid for the dumpster I just had to fill it. The son new about the pennies his father had collected. I told him I was interest in them and original they were going to keep the the pennies. Then the son said I will never do any thing with them and asked how much I would give for them. I said I'll give you $100 he said fine. So I got 4 gallon jugs and a 5 gallon bucket with about 4 gallons in it. I had to take some pennies out of the 5 just to get it up the stairs. He had collected these pennies from the 60's till the late 70's. I have gone threw them and separated the wheats from the lot. Ended up with almost 3 gallons of wheats. I also pulled out almost every year and mint penny from the 60's and 70's. Most of them are in almost mint condition not being in circulation long. As for the rest my son and I brought them to the bank and put the in the coin counter machine. They were not to happy when I came in with a wagon with 6 gallons of pennies. we filled the machine and they had to put empty bags in. Not knowing how much is in a gallon of pennies I was surprised when I ended up with $480 out of the 6 gallons. I called the son and told him how much I got for them and he said keep it you earned it! Some day when the kids are grow I will sit down and go threw the wheats and see if there are any key dates.
d3e75bfd.jpg

aefc5c5d.jpg

02f56152.jpg

Upvote 0

Aeroboy

Aug 22, 2009
Indianapolis, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 4

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome story. Don't overlook the mint state wheats too. Hopefully some of those beautiful ones are some older dates also!

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What an interesting post! thanks and good luck with Key Dates!! how about a 1909 VDB S???

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:wav: Hell of a lot of pennies......hope you find some key wheaties

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions