9 Silver Cache, What Dreams are made of.

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
Three of my GREAT friends were with me yesterday as I recovered the best Silver Cache of my life. Bandit, Stick, Tator and I joined up early Saturday morning for what was to be another unforgettable day. We hunted four different spots during the day, but the third spot shined on me. I was so glad my buddies were very close by when I hit the cache.

We hunted the first spot before lunch with Bandit finding a Standing Liberty Quarter (his first) and a very old dog tag (pet). Tator dug a really cool pocket watch, Stick got an older Wheat Penny, and I found nothing.

It must have been around 1:30 pm and I was already getting pretty hot and a bit tired, especially after our BBQ lunch. But these young fellows were going strong and all three were over the fence hunting and excavating targets by the time I entered the field. Bandit was out ahead in a really rough area, Tator and Stick were just inside the fence, both down pinpointing so I went past them about 15 yards and started scanning. After analyzing a few targets without digging, I saw some Gopher mounds that looked to be from last year since they were almost flat and without vegetation. I heard a high solid tone, checked the numbers from different angles. Hmmm... I raised my coil and still had great tone and the perfect number for a silver quarter/half even at 6 inches above the ground.

I dug a plug about 4 inches deep and scanned the hole again. The metal was still there so I got the pinpointer and it showed a pretty wide target in the bottom of the hole. I thought that I had been fooled by then and it was probably just junk. Removed a little more dirt and saw a piece of very old cloth where the signal was coming from and thought maybe I had something good after all. A small dirt clod was stuck to the right side of the material so I pulled it loose and there it was. A Barber dime. Yee Haw!!! I reached down to retrieve it and there was another one under it. I thought...No way, a pocket spill. I reached in again for the dime and moved it a little and saw another silver dime under it. HOLY CRAP!!! I raised up, looked around and yelled for my partners to come quick. The four of us knelt around the hole and I asked Stick to pick up the cloth since I was shaking so bad. He lifted it out and 2 Barber Quarters fell out. Needless to say, we were just floored. As he pulled the cloth apart, Seated and Mercury dimes fell out. After regaining our composure and making sure there were no more, we cleaned the coins a bit to check dates.

What a memorable day for me and my friends.

The final tally for my day was:

1-1894 Barber Quarter
1-1897 Barber Quarter
1-1878 Seated Dime
1-1887 Seated Dime
1-1898 Barber Dime
1-1915s Barber Dime
1-1917 Mercury Dime
1-1925 Mercury Dime
1-191? Mercury Dime
1-1906 Indian Head Penny (found later at another site)

Upvote 20

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find! And great story and pics too. Too bad about the rim damage on the 1878 dime...otherwise in VERY good condition. Congrats!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, awesome, awesome. Definitely a "dream" find, I keep imagining digging a signal like that but have yet to do so in reality. Happy hunting. Guess you guys might hit that area a couple more times?

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible! That was agreat find! Jealous here! Congrats!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Outstanding finds (and great pictures) bigfootokie.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a sweet silver spill!... I had one earlier this year... 6 silvers... but all newer silvers than those. I can certainly understand your excitement. Congrats! :thumbsup:

megnpat

Apr 30, 2013
bellaire MI
Detector(s) used
somethin with a round thing on it ;)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome silver :hello2: someday ill find one of those lol

ace1968

May 21, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 3000, ATPro, Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found 10 silvers like that one time....... then I woke up. Awesome stuff.

OP
OP
bigfootokie

bigfootokie

Apr 9, 2010
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030
XP Deus
E-Trac
F-75 SE
X-Terra 705
Cibola
Ace 250
Outstanding find! And great story and pics too. Too bad about the rim damage on the 1878 dime...otherwise in VERY good condition. Congrats!

Yeah...I know the damage bothered me too. But...and that's a big BUT...I know it was done prior to my recovery. I have damaged coins before, not this time though. Thank goodness I dug shallow first. Usually I'll go about 7 inches first dig.

Thanks for your nice comments CH-AZ.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool my friend and congratulations! The grass is getting tall there like it is here. Its good that you guys were able to swing low enough to get signals.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats an awesome story with amazing finds!! good for you

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a Superb find there bigfootokie !!! Heres wishing you have more good days like that one :occasion14:CARM

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's super sweet. if it's indeed a 'cache' and not just a lost change purse, there could be more hidden on the property. outstanding find. that kind of stuff makes me drool.

Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!! Haha the shaking hands! Sometimes after I catch a HUGE fish I have a hard time re tying a lure or re baiting because my hands are shaking haha. I have yet to get that feeling from MD!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice catch on the stash of coins, kind of strange the oldest is in the best condition. Looks like it would of been buried a while after 1925 because of the wear on the coin. If it was in the dirty 30's it was a pretty good sum to stash away for another day. This find has been a great memory for you for sure.:hello2:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whooaaaa you just do not have days like this often! Nice silver day. Good for you. Great Day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread