First three days detecting: Gold, silver, and what?

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bought a used White's M6 and stopped at friends house (summer boarding house 100 years ago) for my first time out. Found the usual stuff (cool 1957 dog tag. Not military. Fido registration). A neighbor stopped by with a story of being mad at her husband a few years ago, and throwing her wedding ring "somewhere that way". Found the gold ring. Not quite a "true find", but I'll still lay claim to finding gold my first time out.
My second time was the usual wheats and a two Indian heads, but also found 1837 silver half dime. Very cool.
Yesterday (third time out) my partner and i came home with some post 1900 coins (one silver dime), a silver brooch(broken), a possible silver bracelet (gotta test it), a silver serving spoon, horseshoe, and what's in the pics below.
Not sure what it is, but looks like a knife scabbard, or the lower half of a sword scabbard. The piece with the ring on it is made of the same material and design as the scabbard, so it must go with it. Line design (two on one side/three on the other) look hand done, as they are imperfect.

I gotta find out the age of this. To me, it's way high on my cool factor meter. I'm now officially addicted....

GEDC0008.JPG GEDC0009.JPG

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After some research and identification from sword collectors, it's been narrowed down.
These two pieces belong to a British made (or design inspired) Calvary Officer's sword from probably 1790-1810.:hello2:
It would go together like this one (metal with ring/leather/metal with ring/ leather/ metal bottom tip: 1790.jpg

One missing piece (besides the leather). The area that I recovered this from was giving me mixed signals, and I walked away from a few hits near where these were found.:dontknow:
Going back there in a few days! The missing piece should have the maker's mark.
Now I know what it is!

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is just SUPER cool. Good luck finding the last piece of the puzzle...

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
YOUR FINDS ARE TOTALLY AMAZING, REALLY COOL! :notworthy: :occasion18: :icon_thumright: Looking forward to your next posts for sure! Andi

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread