92 Sterling Silver pins in the Woods

I would look further into CCS being from a school that was a member of the central coast section for athletes.. The athletes chosen were given pins for different sports.. I think these may be for athletes that went on to become Olympians from the CCS. Given the Roman figure.. Not sure but I think if you follow this line you may find it to be close... Just a thought. Joe ;)

Maybe they were made for a championship game in advance in assumption the dominate team would win but they were upset by a much inferior team so someone tossed them in the woods.

cool_beans_postcard-p239791415976976850en84n_325.jpg

Maybe they were made for a championship game in advance in assumption the dominate team would win but they were upset by a much inferior team so someone tossed them in the woods.

LOL at the time they were most likely purchased, they were probably $10 - $20 dollars a Hundred.
they very well may have been extras that were just discarded as worthless

Wow! It's a mystery how so many got dropped in one spot? Is it possible that there were festivals, church bazaars, flea markets, gypsies, etc there? My grand fathers farm in northern New England was the site of the annual town dance. If something like that happened there you should find lots of stuff scattered over several acres.
Keep posting your finds! H Digs :)

Unbelievable what you can fine in the woods! Myfavorite place to hunt. WTG! [FONT=arial, lucida, helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]:hello2:

Thanks everyone. Maybe someday I'll eventually figure out what they are!

No matter what you find out, we'll never know how they got there. What an awesome mystery, thanks for sharing it. I've been looking all day. It's almost like sharing in the hunt with you. I personally can't thank you enough. Do me a favor, tell us the whole story. This is the reason I wanted to start detecting.

Wow, what awesome finds!

I'm not too eloquent, but here it goes... The property was an old farm as far back as at least in the mid-1800s. From old aerials, I saw that the house / buildings were torn down in the late-40s because my the early 50s, the property looked vacant. Eventually, it got grown over and now it's just a patch of woods. That's my ideal location! Old and now nothing. I am most interested in colonial / 1800s relics and coins so I was pretty happy. Silver, gold, jewelry, etc. like this isn't high on my list... buy hey, I'll take it! Anyway, I went one day and had little success at first (woods in Philly are VERY... VERY... trashy.) Went over much of the property and found nothing but trash... then I started head back to my car and found a wheat cent. I got excited because at least I found something and gave the site some potential... then I found the silver pin. At first I thought it was an ancient coin (you know how sometimes people find them in the states on occasion...) but then I saw it was a pin... I could tell it was silver right away because it was in such good condition. Then in a matter of 2 minutes or so, I found another, and another, and another, and another, and another, and then I found a 1901 Indian Head. Anyone who knows me, I have little time to MD, so I left after that. 6 pins and 2 pennies. I was happy enough to find the 6 silvers. Then I went back the next weeked... found 27 more, then I found 28 more, 16 last weekend, and somewhere in between I found the rest. Most of the time, I had to leave because my propointer (and myself) got so muddy it stopped working! It was during a time where there was a lot of rain/snow/cold here. Anyway, there were two distinct locations that were roughly 10 ft by 10ft. The pins were all about 6" deep, give or take. I found them near where the house was on the property, but I have no idea if they're related. The last time I was there, I only found 1 pin and a 1917 merc. Either there are no more pins or those that remain are well hidden at this point... This weekend I'll head back (if it doesn't rain) and I'll go over the spot super slow again.

Couldn't hurt if you could find out Who the owners were,
if they were involved in the community. Ever coached for little league teams,
helped with Vacation Bible school, or real schools or colleges. Etc.
this could at least point towards the reason for them being there,
& with any luck, the meaning of CCS

302guy said:
It is definitely one of the coolest and most unique finds I have seen to date. This gets the Tom Petty "Running Down a Dream" Award:

It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the detector on, I was movin’
The trees went by, me and the Ace was singin’
Little runaway, I was flyin’

Yeah diggin' up a dream
That never would come to me
Workin’ on a mystery, goin’ wherever it leads
I’m diggin' up a dream

I felt so good, like anything was possible
I hit the disc and rubbed eyes
The last three days the rain was unstoppable
It was always cold, no sun shine

Yeah diggin' up a dream
I’m diggin' up a dream

I rolled on as the sky grew dark
I put the lesche down to make some time
There’s something good waitin’ down in this hole
I’m pickin’ up whatever I find

Yeah diggin' up a dream
I’m diggin' up a dream

Sorry, couldn't help myself.....

If I find something that good will you write a song for me too? Nice work! :)

Sounds like youve been doing your home work ,keep it up ,if found in 1 spot [maybe someones LOOT] 2 spots someones [HOARD or still loot]. My dad was born 1946 & says 5 cent for a Coke , so even if a 100 pin lot cost10-20$ 1950s or before ,they would still have a good bit of value to them. A lot more if mid 1900s. SWEET FINDS..

Wow. I would be camping out at that spot until I found it all. It would definitely be nice to know what they were made for.

302guy said:
Sure. But I didn't write it. Tom Petty did. I just took some liberties with the words. LOL

OK, then I'm a Tom Petty / 302guy fan. :)

Last edited:
ferst time look like greeq coins treasure.very nice

Great sliver finds.That's a load of them.way to go

I've found individual similar school pins with the stars. I believe the stars represent the year of the student. 3 stars for Junior - 4 stars senior.

I wonder if it stands for C? Christian School since a school was there from what you said? Maybe they were given to students like a class ring. Maybe they were stolen or lost from the school. Any towns or areas starting with a "C"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back