97, 98, 99, 100! 10 S Barber Dime ~ 18 Wheats

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
97, 98, 99, 100! '10 S Barber Dime ~ 18 Wheats

Hello Everyone!

I keep wondering when the "silver park" is going to stop giving up the silver for me this year, and I think it's just about over, but not before I managed to get four more. I think just about every one of my hunting buddies has thrown in the towel at this particular spot I detected at today. A few days ago, I dug a 1910 S barber dime, along with some wheats from this spot, which marked the very first barber dime I ever dug from this area of the park. The barber came out of the ground in really bad shape, :'( which is very uncommon for this park. This morning, I headed back to the exact same area, and ended up finding three more silver dimes ('43 Merc, 2 Rosies), along with only 3 wheats. How I did this, I'm not really sure. It really helps to swing your coil at a snail pace, listening to every signal(trash, clad, iron, mixed conductors, etc.) in the ground. I just managed to get my coil over the right spots and at the right angles today. Out of the one hundred silver coins I recovered so far this year, 84 of them are Mercs and Rosies, with the exact same number of each (42). Also, all of my silver coins have been dug from only 8 different parks so far this year. :walk:

Thanks for looking.
Keep The Passion High!! :headbang:

CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_3415_sm.jpg
    IMG_3415_sm.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_3413_sm.jpg
    IMG_3413_sm.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 551
Upvote 0

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 97, 98, 99, 100! '10 S Barber Dime ~ 18 Wheats

WTg dan!! never cease to amaze me, need to get some more videos of your fast digging,etc..congrats again..HH..gregg

S

seger98

Dan, is it somehow possible you have some sort of silver magnets attached to your shoes? Something you have developed over the years & are keeping from the rest of us? :tongue3: Good job once again!

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -

WTG Dan, Glad to see the silver still jumping into your pocket. That is awesome to see that much silver from the parks you hunt !!!! Congrats on the silver and the wheats !!!! HH :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Still smokin' Dan! :thumbsup:

HH!
Beep

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good stuff Dan. The spots where everyone else has "thrown in the towel"...are the ones that are my favorite. :wink:
Keep on poppin' out the shiny stuff my friend. :thumbsup:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark

nice job on the silver and the wheaties! :)

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe

WOOHOO Dan! WTG!!!

The master hunter hits a milestone early in the year! YAYER!!!!

8^)

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sweet finds! 100 silver from 1 park!!!!! very nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer

Once again you are the man. Let's face it man, you will never get skunked. I am going out Monday for the first hunt of the season. Wish me luck Oh God of Silver! That would be you Dan.... :thumbsup: jgas

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice digs Dan :thumbsup:
I also love those videos.

Does CA have any laws about detecting in city parks.

Bob and I offered to help the local historic society research the latta house here which has just been converted to a park and they sent this reply.

Thank you for your offer to metal detect at the Latta House site with Mr. S. However, the Parks and Recreation Department does not permit use of metal detectors within City Parks, due to regulations prohibiting removal of items deemed City Property.

I`ll make sure i dont share any of the gold and silver or CW items iv`e found in the city parks with them. :icon_pirat:

Bill From Raleigh, NC

RONC(OR)

Aug 28, 2006
Eugene ,OR
Detector(s) used
Etrac/ X-8-X-1/ /Excalibur 2/AuqaHog ~yayer

Dan thats allot of silver nice finds congrats HH :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

B|lker said:
Nice digs Dan :thumbsup:
I also love those videos.

Does CA have any laws about detecting in city parks.

Bob and I offered to help the local historic society research the latta house here which has just been converted to a park and they sent this reply.

Thank you for your offer to metal detect at the Latta House site with Mr. S. However, the Parks and Recreation Department does not permit use of metal detectors within City Parks, due to regulations prohibiting removal of items deemed City Property.

I`ll make sure i dont share any of the gold and silver or CW items iv`e found in the city parks with them. :icon_pirat:

Bill From Raleigh, NC

Thanks, B|lker . There are some areas in CA where you need to purchase a yearly permit to detect in the parks, and I think a few counties actually ban park detecting. None of the parks I detect in have any detecting laws. Thank God for that, or I'd be moving to a different county, state, etc. ;D ;D

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG DSn why don't you share your secret with the rest of us....Matt

OP
OP
Captn SE

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used

mlayers said:
WTG DSn why don't you share your secret with the rest of us....Matt

Thanks, Matt. There's no secret. I put in a lot of hours detecting with a very capable machine in parks that were populated by millions of people since the turn of the century, along with a little luck of the swing, and that's it. Also, with the type of hunting I do in high trash parks, a good sense of hearing is a must. You've got to be able to decipher/pick out certain diggable tones(deep silver/copper, etc.) amongst a multitude of other various pitched tones(clad, trash, iron, etc.). You've also got to train yourself to pass up shallower clad signals in the ground. I don't pass up quarter signals, just penny/dime signals. If I spent the time to dig all of the shallow penny/dime signals, it would waste my time trying to look for the deeper targets. I've got a few buddies who refuse to cherry pick...they want to dig every signal that makes their detector sound off...I don't find that challenging one bit. In an old park where depth of a signal correlates to age, cherry picking for deeper signals is a must to increase your old coin finds after a day of detecting. It's been working for me. ;D But, you'd be surprised at how many incidental deep memorial pennies/clad dimes I dig that could easily be a silver(coin/jewelry), a wheat, or an injun. I know I have dug more '59 memorials than zinc pennies. ;D :tongue3: Lastly, you have to be very persistent. Never give up on a site just because you didn't get anything old one day. If I wasn't persistent, I wouldn't have half the silver/wheaties/injuns/etc. that I have right now.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy cow!!!! That place has been a gold mine - congrats!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

and yes, make more videos of your hunts! :icon_pirat:

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

There's plenty more Dan, now you gotta find those "whispers" and get the Seated coins!! Nice finds and congrats on the Barber!!

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b

Nice day of hunting! Congrats on the barber!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread