a 1669 silver and another that may be my oldest coin from the area...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick evening hunt after work. Produced 3 silver coins, an 1815, 1669 and possibly my oldest coin from the area. Hereā€™s the obverse of the 1669.
3Sep08sil1669O.jpg

Reverse of the 1669, date at the 1100 position. I am not sure who is on the front of this coin or what part of Germany it comes from. Iā€™ll do the research when it freezes, it is hunting season and so many fields are wide open and perfectly plowed to detect.
3Sep08sil1669R.jpg

If this is what I think it is, then it is the oldest coin I have found in my area, 2 minute drive from my house. It looks like a Bracteat coin from the 1200s, a one sided coin as they were very thin and this coin is one of the thinnest I have found. This is the obverse, appears to be a horse type animal facing right. It is smashed and almost flattened, made of silver as I can see silver at the top.
3Sep08BracO.jpg

Reverse of the coin, I see an even better picture of a horse facing left. I can also see stress fractures around the outside of the coin as they were made concaved. Any help on the ID would be appreciated! Wish I had time to post all my finds, managed a silver or two every hunt the past 10 hunts, I found 16 silver coins, small but silver, mostly mid 1800s, two 1600s and this Bracteat. HH, Mike
3Sep08BracR.jpg

Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
beutiful coins your a lucky man :thumbsup:

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
I love these old bracteat coins. Great finds. :P

Now- if only the %Ā¤#&%" rain could stop, so i could go out and hunt myself..
-------------

Mike, what detector do you use?

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I use a Minelab XT70 mostly but also have a White's XLT, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett MH5 (old) and a fisher 1280 Aquanaut.
Trond said:
I love these old bracteat coins. Great finds. :P

Now- if only the %Ā¤#&%" rain could stop, so i could go out and hunt myself..
-------------

Mike, what detector do you use?

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1669 has been IDed as a 1 Kreuzer from Schlesien-Liegnitz-Brieg, I think it is an area north of me. Initials CB on the reverse stand for Christoph Brettschneider the moneyer. Amazes me how many older coins I find in my area that are not even close to here. The town was an overnight crossroads for travelers, a big advantage for me! Still working on IDing the Braceat. HH, Mike

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good gosh! :o MIKE! 8) And here I was all excited over finding a 30's six pence! :P :D

FANTASTIC hunt!!!! I wish you had more time to post those other finds too! ;D I love seeing what you're finding over there. :thumbsup: I'd wish you good luck on your return, but you don't need it! ;D :wink:

Nana :wink:

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really awesome coins Mike, congrats buddy!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Best of Luck id'ing the Braceat Mike....Never tire of the find's you guy's come up with across the pond.....I'd love to see a pic of the last 10 hunt's,I couldn't imagine.Great Job on the find's. :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt Mike keep us posted on the thin Silver coin :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread