old silver trade ring

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I found this old silver trade ring yesterday with a friend of mine. I found it at an old roadhouse from the goldrush days. It has a ingraving on the front of a hand thats ontop of another hand. If anyone knows anything about this ring the info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• 100_1134.jpg
    100_1134.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 648
  • 100_1135.jpg
    100_1135.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 648
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't Help You out,

But cool Ring.
Congrats !

!!dexCA402V8M.jpg !!dexCAP6HNYY.jpg

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring! Seen a lot of Trade stuff, but haven't seen that!? Does it have a "touchmark" on the inside? :icon_scratch:
I have several brass trade rings, but only the "remnants" of a silver one. It has two crude, inter-laced hearts on it.
HH! Dale

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a VERY cool ring. . . I would think very old with the "hands" motif :thumbsup:

watercolor

OP
OP
bcboy

bcboy

Nov 2, 2006
British Columbia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
To answer IA.FurTrader's question, no there is no stamp mark anywhere on this ring to identify it in any way. There is only the hand ingraving on the front. This ring that I found here in British Columbia, Canada was found at a old roadhouse from the 1800's that was a resting spot for the prospectors that would travel the old trail to get to the gold fields. The ring was found beside the river that runs beside the roadhouse. My friend was detecting with me and he found a 1860 Victoria One Florin silver coin that was about 8 feet from the ring.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice find! It is definitely old enough to be trade and BC does have trading posts etc.. Clasped hands design is very popular and can be Googled for more info..

"Clasped hands represent Concordia, the Roman goddess of agreement, understanding and marital harmony."

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bcboy said:
To answer IA.FurTrader's question, no there is no stamp mark anywhere on this ring to identify it in any way. There is only the hand ingraving on the front. This ring that I found here in British Columbia, Canada was found at a old roadhouse from the 1800's that was a resting spot for the prospectors that would travel the old trail to get to the gold fields. The ring was found beside the river that runs beside the roadhouse. My friend was detecting with me and he found a 1860 Victoria One Florin silver coin that was about 8 feet from the ring.
I'll have to agree with you...probably a trade ring beings you found it where you did. ( would need to have it in hand to give a better opinion :icon_scratch: )

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Found this little excerpt from a webpage abut trade rings;

"There seems to be five or six major patterns of plaque design. The first type, the initial rings, all have one, two, or three initials in their design. The second have L and heart as part of their design. The third, the X, XX or M rings all have crossing straight lines as part of their motif. The impressed heart (or hearts) design rings are the fourth style. Fifth and sixth are the clasped hands and the cross or saint motif rings
The symbolic meaning of the plaque design is the subject of an enormous amount of conjecture. The matter is complicated; one must keep in mind that the Indian and the designer probably had different ideas as to the meaning of the plaque designs and that style drift of these plaque designs almost certainly occurred. There is much room for research.

These obscure, but intriguing, little bits of early American history are still being found, researched and even reproduced by a few silversmiths for those who find them interesting"

Not a lot, but hope it helps :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread