A bad start to my day out detecting turns sweet - More Firsts for the DFX

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today's a day I'm not likely to forget to quickly. Although I wasn't laughing earlier today, in time to come I'm sure the memories of the days events will probably bring a smile to my face and a little chuckle, in a Homer Simson DOH! kind of way.

I got a call from my friend Lucky Bob yesterday afternoon and he informed me that work at his place was a little slow and that he'd have time on Thursday to do some detecting if I was going to be around. Having ample vacation time stored up, more than 10 weeks, I thought to myself, heck I deserve to take a break and get out for a rare weekday hunt. I'm always good at convincing myself to go detecting.

Lucky had a place picked out that looked real promising, a large forested area that only recently, in the past year or two, had opened up to the public. Prior to that, he explained, the land was controlled by the military for training operations, research and other exercises. I was excited to try something new and did some research using old maps of the area to determine where settlements had existed in this area prior to the military taking control of the land sometime in the 40's.

I found several old cellar holes using the Beers maps dating back to 1875. I took the maps and created overlays on Google earth in order to pinpoint the exact location of the cellar holes, or really as close to the exact locations as possible.

Well Lucky arrived at my house early this morning and off we went. All I knew about where we were headed was that it was once controlled by the military and was now no longer used by them and the area had been turned back over for public use. That, as it turned out, was only partially true.

By the way before I proceed, this whole mess is by no means Lucky's fault, he was just as unaware as I was.

Anyhow we arrived at the woods, which was actually now called a National Wildlife Refuge. OK, to me it just looked like the woods, no different than any other woods I'd ever been in. DOH.

Now we get all geared up and follow the gps to our destination about a half mile or more away from the closest parking area. We arrive at the spot, took a look around and eventually we saw the first cellar hole off to the side of the dirt trail, just as the map had indicated. No sooner had we gotten our bearings when along comes a large SUV driving through the woods on this rather tiny dirt trail. Low and behold it's the FEDS. Apparently, despite our reading about how the place was now open to the public and the fact that there were no signs posted or information about the rules on the message board where we had parked, it is illegal to detect on Federal Wildlife Property. Again, we were in the middle of nowhere, doing nobody any harm, that unfortunately didn't save us from the wrath of the Federal Officer.

He requested, and then took with him, our ID's upon which he then instructed us to return to our vehicle where he'd be waiting for us. After we hiked back, he did return our ID's and although he hinted at thinking to the contrary, he informed us we could hold on to our detecting equipment. He did take digital photos of the equipment, and our vehicle, after which he handed us a nice citation for searching and digging for antiquities. That little number set us each back $125.00, ouch. DOH!

I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned. So much for "This is your land, this my land, from California, to the New York Highlands....".

Lucky and I felt as if someone had hit us over the head with a Lesche shovel. It took a little while to shake it off and move on with the day. I ended up deciding to head over to the spot that had produced the two seated dimes, barber half and civil war token I'd posted a week or two back.

We started hunting and I'd decided to try a different approach and hit some of the more over grown areas, just by moving through them slowly and kicking out the leaves and debris caught between the twiggy vegetation with my foot. This approach paid off as I came across a couple of real nice finds. Two firsts for me!!

I'll let the pictures do the talking about the finds themselves, but I just want to take a moment and praise that darn DFX. Man, that machine and I were made for each other. I went through about three hunts, no more, and then wham, everything clicked for me. I really took to the DFX like a duck to water or a pig to mud. I really enjoy it, and I am absolutely confident, 100%, that I would not be doing as well as I have been had I not decided to upgrade from the machine I had previously been using.

I got three first today, a flying eagle cent, a shield nickel and an expensive detecting lesson.
I can do without another of the latter.

So last thoughts, DO NOT HUNT ON FEDERAL LAND, even if it just looks like some forest in the middle of no place special.

I hope everyone here is doing well, Happy Hunting All!

Johnny Cache Hunter

Attachments

• 1915 Barber 1916 Merc Obverse.jpg
    1915 Barber 1916 Merc Obverse.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Tickets Suck.jpg
    Tickets Suck.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 973
  • Packard Goddess of Speed side.jpg
    Packard Goddess of Speed side.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Packard Goddess of Speed.jpg
    Packard Goddess of Speed.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,008
  • 1882 Shield Nickel Reverse.jpg
    1882 Shield Nickel Reverse.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • 1882 Shield Nickel Obverse.jpg
    1882 Shield Nickel Obverse.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 1858 Fyling Eagle rev.jpg
    1858 Fyling Eagle rev.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 1858 flying eagle Obverse.jpg
    1858 flying eagle Obverse.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • 24 29 Mercs Rev.jpg
    24 29 Mercs Rev.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 24 29 Mercs Obv.jpg
    24 29 Mercs Obv.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 15 Barber 16 Merc Rev.jpg
    15 Barber 16 Merc Rev.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,041
Upvote 0

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that really sucks about the ticket, never heard of anyone getting fined for detecting. nonetheless, great finds!!

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
That is really some bad luck. Thanks for the tip. I would have never thought that would be an issue. Happy Hunting Bro.........

Baldingboy

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
John,
Go to court, and tell the judge the facts. He will 9 out of 10 let you off. The officer must me young.
Any Hoo awesome finds.
HH,
Joe

Findone

Jan 20, 2006
COPE SOUTH CAROLINA
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT and Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by VA hospital cops not to bring my MD onto fed land wheather I was going to detect or not! They were nice about it, but dammmmn!
Nice finds, glad your day turned out better.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Always get permission, always.
Yes, you can get fined, and your equipment confiscated never to be returned. The same laws apply if you are hunting or fishing/poaching. Guns fishing tackle, et el.

Lesson learned.

B

Brush Creek

A few years back when our country was still great. The lands belonged to the people, You and I.
Now with the new government that has taken power that has all changed. we just have to live with it I recon.

Its a bummer, No more constitution with the patriot acts 1 and 2.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Wow, what fantastic finds. Glad you "recovered". It's too bad some of the day was ruined but better to have the bad first and then the good.

I'm glad you are doing well with the DFX. Your finds show it. It's a fun machine and great for wandering in the woods.

That Flying Eagle cent is in pretty good condition. And so is that Barber Dime! :icon_sunny: The shield nickel and two center is still on my to find list.

Bob

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
He4y, bad days happen; I'm glad yours turned out better towards the end!

Here, in Trinidad, Colorado we have Lake Trinidad. Nowhere are there Federal signs. One, if unknowing would think it a State Park area which, by the way signs do indicate. Wrong! It's Federal!

My wife and I moved to Colorado from Texas back in 2006 "and" things are certainly different here! Anyway, I had thought about detecting the edges of the lake but thought best to check with the park rangers first. I sure am glad I did! The arrogant guy was the most sour pussed faced gent I had ever met. You would have thought I was talking about murder, pillage, and rape the way he looked at me. Anyway, they can stick that lake up there federal azzes as they can do all their federal parks! :)

GRB (Here's a picture of the lake taken from one of my rear decks)

Attachments

• Lake Trin 12-14-06-800.JPG
    Lake Trin 12-14-06-800.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 794

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
sweeet finds there john !!! your right, it is tough t know sometimes ! i went to a pond just south of boston a ton of times .. saw the park workers during the week lots of times too.. one day one of them walks over and says... dude... i says what.. he tells me i can't be doing that... i looked up the rules and regs when i got home, and sure enough.. all because it's belived indians were once buried there somewhere.. i could undersand if they knew for sure... but any ground ya ever dig into anytime, anyplace, could be possble burial ground for someone..

nice finds, congrads BIG time on the firsts !!! dfx is a great machine in the hands of the right person !!
awesome site you have there !!!!!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds,

To bad about the citation. You can't do anything anymore. He should have cut you a break. I guess in a way he did. He could have taken all of your stuff. The Dfx is a really awesome unit. Your gonna be finding aklot more. The flying eagle is in great shape to.

HH Jer

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Johnny, sorry about the ticket, it could have been worse. You would have thought he would have given you a ride out? :-\

Great day of finds! Could you tel me anything about the silver lady? Hood ornament?

Got more snow today! ::)

Thanks again for the maps, looks like I will have permission to detect the foundations of an old store, post office, button factory, school house, just down the road. Found out a man my husband knows owns the property. Thanks again Johnny!

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Finds were awesome. I wish you would go to court over that. I'd have to speak my mind in court. I live in NOhio where the state is often as bad or worse than the Feds. NO is a popular word here. The 1916 merc has a mint mark, probably an S, but if it's a D it could pay your fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread