A bad start to my day out detecting turns sweet - More Firsts for the DFX

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well today's a day I'm not likely to forget to quickly. Although I wasn't laughing earlier today, in time to come I'm sure the memories of the days events will probably bring a smile to my face and a little chuckle, in a Homer Simson DOH! kind of way.

I got a call from my friend Lucky Bob yesterday afternoon and he informed me that work at his place was a little slow and that he'd have time on Thursday to do some detecting if I was going to be around. Having ample vacation time stored up, more than 10 weeks, I thought to myself, heck I deserve to take a break and get out for a rare weekday hunt. I'm always good at convincing myself to go detecting.

Lucky had a place picked out that looked real promising, a large forested area that only recently, in the past year or two, had opened up to the public. Prior to that, he explained, the land was controlled by the military for training operations, research and other exercises. I was excited to try something new and did some research using old maps of the area to determine where settlements had existed in this area prior to the military taking control of the land sometime in the 40's.

I found several old cellar holes using the Beers maps dating back to 1875. I took the maps and created overlays on Google earth in order to pinpoint the exact location of the cellar holes, or really as close to the exact locations as possible.

Well Lucky arrived at my house early this morning and off we went. All I knew about where we were headed was that it was once controlled by the military and was now no longer used by them and the area had been turned back over for public use. That, as it turned out, was only partially true.

By the way before I proceed, this whole mess is by no means Lucky's fault, he was just as unaware as I was.

Anyhow we arrived at the woods, which was actually now called a National Wildlife Refuge. OK, to me it just looked like the woods, no different than any other woods I'd ever been in. DOH.

Now we get all geared up and follow the gps to our destination about a half mile or more away from the closest parking area. We arrive at the spot, took a look around and eventually we saw the first cellar hole off to the side of the dirt trail, just as the map had indicated. No sooner had we gotten our bearings when along comes a large SUV driving through the woods on this rather tiny dirt trail. Low and behold it's the FEDS. Apparently, despite our reading about how the place was now open to the public and the fact that there were no signs posted or information about the rules on the message board where we had parked, it is illegal to detect on Federal Wildlife Property. Again, we were in the middle of nowhere, doing nobody any harm, that unfortunately didn't save us from the wrath of the Federal Officer.

He requested, and then took with him, our ID's upon which he then instructed us to return to our vehicle where he'd be waiting for us. After we hiked back, he did return our ID's and although he hinted at thinking to the contrary, he informed us we could hold on to our detecting equipment. He did take digital photos of the equipment, and our vehicle, after which he handed us a nice citation for searching and digging for antiquities. That little number set us each back $125.00, ouch. DOH!

I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned. So much for "This is your land, this my land, from California, to the New York Highlands....".

Lucky and I felt as if someone had hit us over the head with a Lesche shovel. It took a little while to shake it off and move on with the day. I ended up deciding to head over to the spot that had produced the two seated dimes, barber half and civil war token I'd posted a week or two back.

We started hunting and I'd decided to try a different approach and hit some of the more over grown areas, just by moving through them slowly and kicking out the leaves and debris caught between the twiggy vegetation with my foot. This approach paid off as I came across a couple of real nice finds. Two firsts for me!!

I'll let the pictures do the talking about the finds themselves, but I just want to take a moment and praise that darn DFX. Man, that machine and I were made for each other. I went through about three hunts, no more, and then wham, everything clicked for me. I really took to the DFX like a duck to water or a pig to mud. I really enjoy it, and I am absolutely confident, 100%, that I would not be doing as well as I have been had I not decided to upgrade from the machine I had previously been using.

I got three first today, a flying eagle cent, a shield nickel and an expensive detecting lesson.
I can do without another of the latter.

So last thoughts, DO NOT HUNT ON FEDERAL LAND, even if it just looks like some forest in the middle of no place special.

I hope everyone here is doing well, Happy Hunting All!

Johnny Cache Hunter

Attachments

• 1915 Barber 1916 Merc Obverse.jpg
    1915 Barber 1916 Merc Obverse.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,052
  • 15 Barber 16 Merc Rev.jpg
    15 Barber 16 Merc Rev.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 24 29 Mercs Obv.jpg
    24 29 Mercs Obv.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 24 29 Mercs Rev.jpg
    24 29 Mercs Rev.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 1,050
  • 1858 flying eagle Obverse.jpg
    1858 flying eagle Obverse.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 1,039
  • 1858 Fyling Eagle rev.jpg
    1858 Fyling Eagle rev.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 1882 Shield Nickel Obverse.jpg
    1882 Shield Nickel Obverse.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 1882 Shield Nickel Reverse.jpg
    1882 Shield Nickel Reverse.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Packard Goddess of Speed.jpg
    Packard Goddess of Speed.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Packard Goddess of Speed side.jpg
    Packard Goddess of Speed side.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Tickets Suck.jpg
    Tickets Suck.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 973
Upvote 0

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
I hope you get off with a warning in court. I won't say any more about that bad occurrence, because I try not to get furious these days.
Okay, I will say one thing. You are much better off being a nice MD guy than you would be if you were some tin-pot nickel-dime dip$$$t / @#^%wad minion of the gummint. And you'll doubtless live longer and be happier while you do, and here's to yah.

BUT YOU FOUND COINS WORTH MORE THAN THE DAMN TICKET ANYWAY!

That's a fantastic Barber dime, top-notch!
Welcome to the Fleagle Club, membership 'scarce'.
And please keep the Shield Nickel Club door unlocked, hope to be there someday. That's a great coin, too.
...and I hope your old Merc has a good mintmark, good bunch of Mercs regardless!

Thanks for showing them all to us.

OP
OP
Johnny Cache Hunter

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I paid the ticket. I know, I have been told by several folks to try an appeal but the place where the hearing would be located is about an hours ride from where I live and it would tie me up the whole day most likely. Then, after all that, my chances are at best 50/50, but more likely not even that good.

You see the problem is common sense doesn't enter into the equation with these guys, its just black and white. I tried all of the possible, logical, reasonable arguments that could be made with the officer issuing the ticket to no avail, I suspect the kangaroo court would be no different. Hey, after all, someone has to pay for the bail out of all the down trotten financials.

The 1916 Mercury dime is an S mint mark. Believe you me, my heart skipped a few beats when I pulled it out and saw the date.

That 1915 Barber dime was dug on a field that was soaked with water and was very frozen in some areas. I almost didn't dig the signal due to just how hard the ground was. I figured I would never be able to dig it out. I literally jumped up and down on my Lesche ground shark to get through the frozen ground. Now, for the bad part of that story, without question or hesitation, that Barber was the nicest coin I have ever dug, or ever saw dug. When I say that pictures can't really do it justice I mean it. Its was in better condition than some of the coins in my personal coin collection. That nick on the rim was caused by me, and if you look carefully just behind his head near the wreath you can see another scrape. DAM DAM DAM is all I was thinking at the time. That coin was every bit AU as it could be. The ground conditions were just so bad I can't really beat myself up over it. It happened and that's all there is.

The details on the flying eagle cent look even better in person than they do in the picture on line. That find is really unreal when you consider that they only made those puppies for three years, '56-58.
By the way, the signal for the flying eagle cent was on the crappy side, it rang up only in the thirties, not where I would have expected it to fall. I found it because I was basically going for every signal.

Now this is a true story so help me God. A little while after I had found the eagle cent, and literally just moments before I dug the shield nickel, I was saying to Lucky how I really would like to find a shield nickel. I had asked if he had ever found one and he said that he had and recalled the story of when and where, then Pow!, I dug my shield nickel, unreal.

With all the recent good finds I've made I'm going to have to redefine my wish list. I did tell lucky that I'd really love to find a reale, any type. He said it's possible, especially if we are able to do some farm field hunting, so I guess that's at the top of my wish list now.

Country Girl, give me a shout out when you can finally see the ground out your way. At least when we hunted out your way the cops didn't fine us when they threw us out. :wink:

Thanks everyone for all the words of kindness regarding the ticket. Not to rehash it all over again but boy it was a costly mistake, certainly that money would have been better spent on groceries or heating oil. I guess those FED guys don't have families they have feed and cloth so they don't understand what a $125 bucks means to an average working guy. OK I done my complaining.

Happy Hunting To All,

Johnny Cache Hunter

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that sucks!!! but great finds though.

OP
OP
Johnny Cache Hunter

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Country Girl, I almost forgot, the object you asked about is a car hood ornament from a Packard. In around 1937 I believe, give or take. The name of the ornament is The Goddess of Speed. It weights a ton, forget about getting hit by the car, I be afraid just to be hit with ornament. You don't dig these up everyday. It rang out just like a really nice quarter.

JCH

4dcr

Mar 31, 2006
Boston
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, White's DFX & Garrett ACE 250
Found this on www.nps.gov

Antiquities Act of 1906
AS AMENDED

This Act became law on June 8, 1906 (34 Stat. 225, 16 U.S.C. 431-433) and has been amended
once. This description of the Act, as amended, tracks the language of the United States Code
except that (following common usage) we refer to the “Act” (meaning the Act, as amended)
rather than to the “subchapter” or the “title” of the Code.
16 U.S.C. 433,
Penalties for damage,
destruction, etc. of
antiquities
Section 1
Any person who shall appropriate, excavate, injure, or
destroy any historic or prehistoric ruin or monument, or any
object of antiquity, situated on lands owned or controlled by
the Government of the United States, without the permission
of the Secretary of the Department of the Government
having jurisdiction over the lands on which said antiquities
are situated, shall, upon conviction, be fined in a sum of not
more than five hundred dollars or be imprisoned for a period
of not more than ninety days, or shall suffer both fine and
imprisonment, in the discretion of the court.
16 U.S.C. 431,
Proclamation of
national monuments,
reservation of lands,
etc.
Section 2
The President of the United States is authorized, in his
discretion, to declare by public proclamation historic
landmarks, historic and prehistoric structures, and other
objects of historic or scientific interest that are situated
upon the lands owned or controlled by the Government
of the United States to be national monuments, and may
reserve as a part thereof parcels of land, the limits of which
in all cases shall be confined to the smallest area compatible
with proper care and management of the objects to
be protected. When such objects are situated upon a tract
covered by a bona fide unperfected claim or held in private
ownership, the tract, or so much thereof as may be necessary
for the proper care and management of the object, may
be relinquished to the Government, and the Secretary of
the Interior is hereby authorized to accept the relinquishment
of such tracts in [sic] behalf of the Government of the
United States.
16 U.S.C. 431a,
Limitation on more
national monuments
in Wyoming
No further extension or establishment of national monuments
in Wyoming may be undertaken except by express
authorization of Congress.
Antiquities Act of 1906
AS AMENDED
6 FEDERAL HISTORIC PRESERVATION LAWS 16 U.S.C. 432,
Permits for excavation,
etc.
Section 3
Permits for the examination of ruins, the excavation of
archaeological sites, and the gathering of objects of antiquity
upon the lands under their respective jurisdictions may
be granted by the Secretaries of the Interior, Agriculture,
and Army to institutions which they may deem properly
qualified to conduct such examination, excavation, or
gathering, subject to such rules and regulation as they may
prescribe: Provided, That the examinations, excavations,
and gatherings are undertaken for the benefit of reputable
museums, universities, colleges, or other recognized scientific
or educational institutions, with a view to increasing
the knowledge of such objects, and that the gatherings shall
be made for permanent preservation in public museums.
16 U.S.C. 432,
Rules and regulations
Section 4
The Secretaries of the departments aforesaid shall make
and publish from time to time uniform rules and regulations
for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this Act.
Antiquities Act of 1906

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
At least they didn't take your DFX. Here in Texas, at the North Padre Island National Seashore, they will not only take your detector, they will take you to jail, and your vehicle will become the new Fed pursuit beach dune truck.

At least you managed to find some silver. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread