A Big Pile Of Old Coins From A "Hunted Out Site"...

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another old school site on a big piece of property that looked pretty good to be hiding some old coins. As I was tracking down the owner, I was told by different folks in the area, that it had been detected tons of times. I finally met up with the owner and got permission to hunt. He told me the same thing that he and many others had hunted it over the years, but I could hunt it anytime I wanted. I hear those words a lot about old sites and I take it as a challenge to find something. I fired up the Etrac and headed to a corner of the large property and my third signal I dug was a nice Merc. I thought this could be a good sign and ended up with 7 silver, 4 Buffalos and a handful of wheats after the first hunt. I went back twice this week and dug another 8 silver, a buffalo and my the oldest coin from this site, an 1888 V nickel. I was hoping to find a few keepers but I was not expecting it to produce like this. I will go back in the winter to hunt the wooded spots, might be a few more hiding in there. HH David

D6B5908C-1F2F-43A2-8879-5DE29943338A_zpsqn3gvszc.jpg
FFA3A383-68C7-40A9-846B-320EB52DD642_zpsf1rw4s9t.jpg

Upvote 56

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely done, but I bet if you went over it again there is still some goodies left. Thats at least my option and what keeps me finding good stuff

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great haul of old coins, congrats!

Earlier this year I found an old school out in the countryside that looks like a prime spot for finds like yours. But it took some research to discover the owner, who lives in the city. I felt awkward about going to his house and telling him that I figured out he owns that school, then asking permission to detect around it. However, it sounds like your situation was similar- the owner did not live on the property?

No the owner does not live on the property. Property records are public information, and it can be awkward to approach someone at their home to ask to detect, but you will never get the chance if you don't ask. I find most people are relieved that you're not trying to sell them something. If you have a passion for the history of a site and your hobby it will show through the way you talk about what you are wanting to do. I have had really good success with asking permission and enjoy the people I meet along the way as much as detecting. Good luck to you Jason!

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
No the owner does not live on the property. Property records are public information, and it can be awkward to approach someone at their home to ask to detect, but you will never get the chance if you don't ask. I find most people are relieved that you're not trying to sell them something. If you have a passion for the history of a site and your hobby it will show through the way you talk about what you are wanting to do. I have had really good success with asking permission and enjoy the people I meet along the way as much as detecting. Good luck to you Jason!

Great attitude and advice, thanks Dave! I wish you continued good luck as well.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Sooper Dave.
You take the best looking pics of coin piles I have seen!
That is a photo I would hang! :thumbsup:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW nice bunch of finds, and Silver.
Got to say though "hunted out" must mean different things to different people, cause I would not call a place with multiple silvers hunted out. When my sites are hunted out you'd be lucky to get a scrap of tin foil every 20 minutes. (laughing smiley)

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Sooper Dave.
You take the best looking pics of coin piles I have seen!
That is a photo I would hang! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot Coilfisher! I try to get good close photos of my finds. But I doubt I could get away with hanging one up in the house. I might just put one up to test the waters... Ha!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW nice bunch of finds, and Silver.
Got to say though "hunted out" must mean different things to different people, cause I would not call a place with multiple silvers hunted out. When my sites are hunted out you'd be lucky to get a scrap of tin foil every 20 minutes. (laughing smiley)

Yeah I have been to places that where hunted hard and do good to get any signal. This is not one of those places. I really didn't have to work for any of these finds. Just swing and dig. I almost felt bad it was that easy but I soon got over it... Ha!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did well Dave! No better machine than a Minelab for pulling out coins out of the reach of other machines. It probably was hunted out to the first 6" :laughing7:

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome job, especially for a well hunted site! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did well Dave! No better machine than a Minelab for pulling out coins out of the reach of other machines. It probably was hunted out to the first 6" :laughing7:

Thanks! Yeah normally it's that way Erik. This place was really to easy and any machine that can hit a dime at 4" could have got all of these. I think the folks in the past just didn't put a lot time into it or cherry picked what they wanted. Either way I am very pleased with the seconds I was left.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job, especially for a well hunted site! Congrats!!!

Thanks McClod! But I think well hunted was an overstatement. We all would love hunted out places like this to detect.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks McClod! But I think well hunted was an overstatement. We all would love hunted out places like this to detect.

Excellent point Sooper Dave! It wasn't "well hunted until YOU hunted it! Great job!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everywhere is always "Hunted out" lol

Keep it up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread