A Big Pile Of Old Coins From A "Hunted Out Site"...

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another old school site on a big piece of property that looked pretty good to be hiding some old coins. As I was tracking down the owner, I was told by different folks in the area, that it had been detected tons of times. I finally met up with the owner and got permission to hunt. He told me the same thing that he and many others had hunted it over the years, but I could hunt it anytime I wanted. I hear those words a lot about old sites and I take it as a challenge to find something. I fired up the Etrac and headed to a corner of the large property and my third signal I dug was a nice Merc. I thought this could be a good sign and ended up with 7 silver, 4 Buffalos and a handful of wheats after the first hunt. I went back twice this week and dug another 8 silver, a buffalo and my the oldest coin from this site, an 1888 V nickel. I was hoping to find a few keepers but I was not expecting it to produce like this. I will go back in the winter to hunt the wooded spots, might be a few more hiding in there. HH David

D6B5908C-1F2F-43A2-8879-5DE29943338A_zpsqn3gvszc.jpg
FFA3A383-68C7-40A9-846B-320EB52DD642_zpsf1rw4s9t.jpg

Upvote 56
Absolutely amazing haul of old coins there ! Those kinds of sites are my metal detecting dream !!!

Thanks Argentium! I hope you get on a dream site soon!

:occasion14:..knockin that one outta the park !!! well done

HEY DAVE NICE COIN FINDS BUT , THE OLE RING IS SWEET ...

Well its hunted out now!!! Awesome Haul!!!

Yup ...gotta hit those wooded areas - I hit an old school like that - place was peppered - and they weren't lying though
just got a few new drops
but I remember when I was a kid - we were told not to go into the wooded areas - and of course every chance we got
we did - so I ventured into the woods here and first target was a barber half - I got buffalos and all kinds of 30- 40s silver
I did pretty good in the wood - so betting you'll add to your haul when you get in yours too
9.gif

Amazing hunt, hard to believe this site was hunted seriously, but rather cherry picked over the decades. You sure scored big time. That's about 2 months worth of silvers alone. It's going to be hard to beat that hunt.

Now where is this place at again? I am coming up on some vacation time and a road trip may be in order.:laughing7: That is a fantastic haul, Congrats!

Wow Soops! That's awesome! Love me some wooded areas

Any time I am told it's been hunted out, that's just a challenge! That is a great amount of nice keepers Dave. Good luck on your returns!:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Wow awesome hunt Dave, like the V nickel dont see them in that good of shape all the time.....:icon_thumright:

Got permission, , grabbed E-trac, , pulled 15 silver coins out of "Hunted Out Site"
Yep,, need any help in those woods?? lol

It just shows that no place is ever hunted out, congrats on your great hunt totals. Good luck for the bush area, I know it was always the place to go and play, and then later on to smoke.

That's a nice haul. Etrac is good at finding coins in hunted out spots. I'm pulling old coins from areas I've hit hundreds of times

HH Jer

Really - you classy coins hunter:thumbsup:

Well, then, there is "hunting" and there is "hunting". :)

WTG!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back