DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found a 'Buckle' - from which century I do not know (if you have an idea I would love to hear from you) - Found in Derbyshire UK a place with Roman activity (maybe I'm hoping too much for it to be Roman) - have seen others similar on the net from 15th / 16th century but not pictures exactly the same.
Measures 5cm x 4cm x .5cm with one flat edge measuring 1.5cm in its widest part.
Probably Copper or Copper Alloy.
Any information on the object (My first proper find) would be most appreciated.
Here are the pics:

Buckle_1_David_Beard_UK.jpg

Buckle_2_David_Beard_UK.jpg

Buckle_3_David_Beard_UK.jpg

Buckle_4_David_Beard_UK.jpg

Buckle_5_David_Beard_UK.jpg

Buckle_6_David_Beard_UK.jpg

Upvote 0

treasurenut

Oct 19, 2006
FL
Detector(s) used
White DFX, Minelab Excaliber II, Aquapulse
Well it sure looks old that is all I can say ???

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet fellow UKer.

I can confirm it is not Roman or Medieval & is likely to be no older than 1900. Probably brass & although I can't put my finger on it right now, its probably not a buckle as such.

Do you do ploughed fields?

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:

I can confirm it is not Roman or Medieval & is likely to be no older than 1900. Probably brass & although I can't put my finger on it right now, its probably not a buckle as such.

Ooooh!! :'( And there's me getting all excited. I've been looking on ploughed fields yes, but this was found elsewhere, rough ground, a couple inches down, with a few rabbits!.
Thanks for the help though.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
CRUSADER said:

Ooooh!! :'( And there's me getting all excited. I've been looking on ploughed fields yes, but this was found elsewhere, rough ground, a couple inches down, with a few rabbits!.
Thanks for the help though.

Stick at the ploughed fields with the most pieces of small lead :wink:

Please keep posting future finds, as we are a small group on here :thumbsup:

P

pippinwhitepaws

i have a similar buckle...the one i have is off WWII parachute harness...there is a slide that fits inside the buckle...mine is steel.
no pic, sorry.

this site has a similar buckle...second down, right column.

http://www.bkreng.com/sliding-bar.html

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks more like a modern day farm strap end, 1800s is modern day for the UK or Germany. You have a lot of potential where ever you are in the UK. Welcome to the forum and HH, Mike

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bavaria Mike said:
Looks more like a modern day farm strap end, 1800s is modern day for the UK or Germany. You have a lot of potential where ever you are in the UK. Welcome to the forum and HH, Mike

I think you jogged my memory, they were used to strap down hay & straw onto the trailors.

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
hello from essex :thumbsup: nice profile :o

looks like your in the right place!

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I've dated that buckle before...I may have tried to ask it out a few times with no luck.

It's a cool find regardless!

OP
OP
DavidBeard

DavidBeard

Dec 27, 2008
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help so far -
I think we're settling for an old farm strap or a parachute buckle at the moment - I must check out local farm and war museums. If its no older than the 1900's I'm going to take it back, dig a hole and bury it again!
Should I get the 'Brasso' out and give it a good polish? - we'll see then if its Brass or Copper!

I'm sure that you're aware I've only just started out (been waiting 46 years for days like this) but in this last week I've aquired search permission on 2 large farm lands - I'm well excited ;D Looking forward to the longer daylight arriving so I can stay out longer.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DavidBeard said:
Thanks for all the help so far -
I think we're settling for an old farm strap or a parachute buckle at the moment - I must check out local farm and war museums. If its no older than the 1900's I'm going to take it back, dig a hole and bury it again!
Should I get the 'Brasso' out and give it a good polish? - we'll see then if its Brass or Copper!

I'm sure that you're aware I've only just started out (been waiting 46 years for days like this) but in this last week I've aquired search permission on 2 large farm lands - I'm well excited ;D Looking forward to the longer daylight arriving so I can stay out longer.

me too..

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest you research the history of your town or get a local history book. They are much like modern day treasure maps for detectors like us! Good luck and HH, Mike

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hello Dave, Try the Repton area if you live in Derbyshire, any ploughed land near to the grammar school could be interesting.

HH -Robert.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
Hello Dave, Try the Repton area if you live in Derbyshire, any ploughed land near to the grammar school could be interesting.

HH -Robert.

I just remembered. Download Google Earth & look at the fields you have permission for plus look for areas to hunt that you need to get permission.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread