A couple unique tokens !!

cintisteve

Oct 29, 2006
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3I,White's xlt,Fisher F4,Tesoro Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these in Indiana the other day. First chance to post them.The first says" good eating in 57 "with HJ Heinz on it. The second one is a peeler's check from the Brunson canning factory in Orestes Indiana. It is now known as "Red Gold". The largest producer of tomato products in the world. Any one ever seen either of the tokens before?

Steve

Attachments

• 1-08-09 001.jpg
    1-08-09 001.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 778
  • 1-08-09 002.jpg
    1-08-09 002.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 770
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be the one to bare bad news but these are not 'unique', & in this world of treasure hunting its a word that should be used with great care. Its more akin to a description on ebay rather than the ranks of Tnet.

This is not meant as a personal attack on the poster & I'm not trying to take away from what are interesting finds. Only trying to educate those people who use the word 'Unique' when often they should be described as 'common'. Descriptions are like grading, they have a scientific meaning & should be used appropriately if we want to be taken seriously.

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I like them.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Unique or not, they're good finds. I've never seen either one.

I say call 'em what ever you want.

Thanks for sharing,
Jason

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like tokens and think they are great. Nice going Nate or Northern Ohio.

SKD
Southern Ohio

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
I hate to be the one to bare bad news but these are not 'unique', & in this world of treasure hunting its a word that should be used with great care. Its more akin to a description on ebay rather than the ranks of Tnet.

[/quote

Agh! Don't "bare" your bad news! I don't want to see it! :o

I'm fine if he wants to call them unique...I probably would have referred to them the same way. ???

Cool tokens.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damon64 said:
CRUSADER said:

[/quote

Agh! Don't "bare" your bad news! I don't want to see it! :o

I'm fine if he wants to call them unique...I probably would have referred to them the same way. ???

Cool tokens.

Well good luck on ebay :-*

Maybe its because your in the US, I have no clue. But over here when your used to recording things with various museums & professional research organisations your quickly learn what terms like 'Unique', Extremely Rare, Very rare ACTUALLY MEAN!

You can all call them unique if you so wish, but it holds no water with those taking research seriously, so carry on......... Clearly our hobbie is a joke to you & others. For me its a serious way to learn our worlds history.

Have Fun.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JasonB said:
Unique or not, they're good finds. I've never seen either one.

I say call 'em what ever you want.

Thanks for sharing,
Jason

I never said they were a bad find!

yeah.. lets just call it a flying pig, why not its my right, get serious Jason.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh, lighten up Crusader. Maybe in the US they are unique...remember, we don't have much history beyond a few hundred years over here. I think most everyone is seriously into the hobby, but we also like to have fun as well. Get up on the wrong side of the bed today ::)?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damon64 said:
Sheesh, lighten up Crusader. Maybe in the US they are unique...remember, we don't have much history beyond a few hundred years over here. I think most everyone is seriously into the hobby, but we also like to have fun as well. Get up on the wrong side of the bed today ::)?

Sorry, if I seem a bit heavy today. Its just that trigger word which winds me up. It mainly because those that use it on ebay are busy trying to make money out of a common find. I believe strongly that everyone should enjoy this hobby whilst trying to gain a greater knowledge of the coins & objects we find. This forum is about sharing knowledge & therefore we should encourage the sharing of Facts. Opinions are definitely encouraged where there is an obiviously lack off evidence. However where facts are easily found we should use these as best we can. Clearly there must have been more than 1 off these tokens made. So why not just say 'I've never found or seen these before, anyone know anything?'

Often when I say something is rare, I add for me to find. As strickly speaking they are often not that rare. I will sometimes use very rare but hardly ever Extremely Rare & never Unique. I have a 'unique to date' find, which is a better way to explain it. The British Museum have said there are no other examples recorded. That doesn't mean there isn't other burried & un-discovered items or other examples in peoples private collections.

Anyway, as you can tell I'm passionate about this hobbie & about spreading the right message. Enough said.

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see your point. I'm all about gaining knowledge and learning of our past. I wish my area had some history beyond the last hundred years. My dream would be to detect in England and find some of the coins and artifacts I've seen you guys dig up.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damon64 said:
I see your point. I'm all about gaining knowledge and learning of our past. I wish my area had some history beyond the last hundred years. My dream would be to detect in England and find some of the coins and artifacts I've seen you guys dig up.

lots of people come over & do it. Save up (if possible) & make it a holiday to remember. No-one can take away the memorys of what your likely to find. So don't Dream, start doing, action speak louder & all that :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thing, Sorry for my Rant Steve. Its nothing personal, it just pressed the right button :thumbsup:

Happy Hunting 8)

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
SUPER TOKENS. GLAD TO SEE EVERYONE IS ON THE SAME LINK.

OP
OP
cintisteve

cintisteve

Oct 29, 2006
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3I,White's xlt,Fisher F4,Tesoro Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it comes with us Americans bastardizing the English language. According to the Webster -Merriam dictionary the following defitions are given. It is true the first 2 dont apply ;however; the 3rd certainly does... unusal..

My point has been made and is as correct as American using the "English language "can be.HH

Steve

Main Entry: unique
Pronunciation: \yu̇-ˈnēk\
Function: adjective
Etymology: French, from Latin unicus, from unus one — more at one
Date: 1602
1: being the only one : sole <his unique concern was his own comfort> <I can't walk away with a unique copy. Suppose I lost it? — Kingsley Amis> <the unique factorization of a number into prime factors>
2 a: being without a like or equal : unequaled <could stare at the flames, each one new, violent, unique — Robert Coover> b: distinctively characteristic : peculiar 1 <this is not a condition unique to California — Ronald Reagan>
3: unusual <a very unique ball-point pen> <we were fairly unique, the sixty of us, in that there wasn't one good mixer in the bunch — J. D. Salinger

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Cru........ How do you catch a Unique rabbit? ,,,,,NGE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread