A Bullet Question!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Same here
I've been digging for 40 years and quit counting bullets when I got to 10,000 in 1971. With the ones I dug plus the ones I've bought and traded, like Spooky I would be long gone.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
It is not a bad idea to wash your hands after handling lead objects. Lead fumes from melting lead to make sinkers or bullets are more likely to be more dangerous to you than handling mere lead objects.

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I agree. You are not likely to get lead poisoning unless you roll in them 24 hours a day.
Dman
Dman

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
I treat lead the same way I treat everything California slaps a cancer causing label on. . .with common sense. Anything will make you sick if you ingest 5 pounds, gallons, or otherwise a day. Use good old common sense and you should be fine, unlike the rest of the country that sees it and calls their doctor.

leakypipes

Oct 7, 2007
As some of the other folks mentioned the mere handling or presence of them in a room is not harmful. They would have to be ingested in some way, either by the ground up dust or by a constantly sucking on it like a hard candy. Many years ago children used to get sick from lead base paint but they would suck on windowsills etc. It is of course smart to wash your hands after handling.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Handling lead for prolonged periods of time can cause lead poison. :read2: Just don't handle them to much and wash your hands after you do. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Touching lead is not dangerous, eating or ingesting lead is dangerous. Always good to wash the hands after handling the finds. I have 6 lead fillings in my teeth, grew up chewing on a lead based painted crib as a baby, LOL. I also find a lot of lead but worry more about the farm field dirt. Glad I grew up a country boy, drank from natural springs and jumped through the straw and dirt piles, I seldom get sick unless the kids continuously drag the crud home from school, LOL. HH, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread