NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just lost a dear friend to drugs......Heroin to be precise.... I'm absolutely furious right now and need to vent somewhere, but yelling at the house is not getting it done.

I've been pretty stupid occasionally in my 42 years, and I've done some dumb things, but dope has never entered the picture. I tried to be understanding and I tried my best to help, but it was all for nothing. I hate this, and I wonder what I could have done, but the answer is always nothing! Now I wonder what is the benefit of this so called "war on drugs" when a 25 year old girl ends up dead? I wish this wasn't a family oriented forum right now so I could say what's really on my mind!

I guess if nothing else comes of this, I hope that other people who might read this will take notice and stay away from the evil that stole my friend this past weekend. Learn from what we tell you about why these drugs are so bad for you, think about what it does to those you'll leave behind, and never EVER touch them.

I'm sorry to post such a horrible thing here, but I feel that we need to pass this message along to the younger generation who may be at risk. Show them this photo, tell them that this was a beautiful and intelligent 25 year old girl, who will never have a chance to be anything now because drugs stole her life!
bri.jpg Brianna Bernstein.... R.I.P.
You will be sadly missed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the kids who read this, please pick up a real hobby! You don't need to do this to yourself to be cool. Think about it please! Tonight people all over the country are crying over her loss......

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your loss my friend. Nothing can be said to really put in perspective the anguish from such a totally needless loss. Heart felt prayer is all I can offer.

DIGDIG

Nov 23, 2009
Space Coast/Florida
Detector(s) used
WHITES SURF P.I.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wives younger sister has a perscription pill addiction, beautiful girl late 20's. We tried but nothing seems to work, I never understood why re-hab cost thousands of dollars, someone please explain that to me. Lately she had a son, born with a addiction. DYFS stepped in and the poor baby spent weeks in the hospital. She has agreed to give the child up and I think this is her eye opener. I seen her last night and it was the first time I seen her clean in years, hopefully this is over for her.

generic username

Jul 7, 2008
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
ctx3030, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry for your unexpected loss

its so easy to get hooked :icon_pale: i had a run in with that kind of dumb stuff too

i had a bad knee injury and a few years later a ruptured & bulging disc in my spine, both times i got very ill from cutting the painkillers after i recovered and no longer needed painkillers for pain, worst thing was that i had to keep going back to taking them to "stop" the withdrawals.... well not quite "stop", but rather delay them because the withdrawals were almost as unbearable as the pain was pre surgery.
i was blowing through 160 Vicodin 7.5/750's a week :help: pre-surgery for my spine problem then was prescribed stronger meds from the surgeon post surgery.
Its so hard to walk away from those stupid painkillers... but if i get outside and do something i forget how bored i was and occupy my time doing something constructive.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem is that an OD will never happen to them, and that's always the case. Although I can't give an exact amount, I believe that it is near, or just over 10 friends lost to drugs. Even with the passing of a friend, it would still never happen to them. There were 3 that were finally able to turn their life around and yet I have to hear any of them say they would have done things differently. At one time we were a huge tight knit group, now there are only about 15 of us left, a few unaccounted for and presumed dead.

The only path hard drugs will take you to is the cemetery

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm really sorry for your loss and pain. Perhaps your heavy burden shared here, can help make it lighter (in some way).
I hope you will see the good your friend brought (and still brings).
Blessings.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry to hear that bud,but its an epidemic every where right now,and a war we are hardly fighting.That pic of a beutiful girl isnt going to sway anybody,when the pictures of acne,toothless people wont.Its sad,sad,and something has to be done

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, years ago my youngest sister got hooked on the drug path, you name it she did it, finally took 3 yrs in prison to wise her up, but it still ruined her whole life, now 2 of her kids are heading the same way.

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a sin, its such a waste. I have lost a few friends to drugs but especially ALCOHOL ! As much preaching and love we can give them, the thing you have to understand that it is their life. Its hard to except this because we have to go on and live with the fact that they are longer here. I just recently lost a good friend he was 42, I preached to him to follow up a hospital stay with a doctor and stay on the medication he was advised, but he didnt have health insurance and was bull headed. He thought that the blood clot went away but it was still there and broke loose. He died in anothers freinds arms. Now we have to deal with this everyday and my friend cant get it out of his mind when he looked into his eyes as he passed. Now he thinks he could have done something different. The fact is, my friend had a choice, like us all. It stinks but there was nothing you could have said or done to prevent the outcome. I feel for you, just remember the good times and hopefully we will all meet up again.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to hear that i also know what is like to lose someone you care about i lost my brother to drugs 4 years ago (meth to be exact) it really turned my life upside down i wish i could go back and do things differently i have 2 kids that i worry about getting older and making dumb mistakes like that

Hawgwild

Oct 29, 2012
Shreveport, LA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nola Kin I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of this beautiful young lady. You have every right to be very angry but there is really not much, if anything, that you could have done. The addict or alcoholic..really the same...have to come to a individual conscious decision to get cleaned up and then it likely will be a lifelong process to stay clean.

A friend can really only show love to the person and concern about what is happening to them. Suggesting that the person get professional help may at least plant a seed to help them realize the need. Perhaps closer family members can interview or even have them committed to a treatment facility if they feel they are truly endangering themselves or others.

But the bottom line is that if that person doesn't want to stop what they are doing, even after being forced to a treatment facility or jail time, they will continue to do what they want to do. Addictions are physical for sure, but the real problem is in the mind. Addictions are a disease of the mind but can be treated, but not cured.

It is not your fault or anyone's fault that a friend has been lost. They were not forced to do what they did but choose to do so and probably knew they were hurting themselves. That is how powerful these addictions are. You would be surprised how many doctors and nurses have gone through treatment for drug or alcohol abuse. You would think these folks would know better for sure.

If you do know of someone with a problem then encourage them to attend a narcotics anonymous or alcohol anonymous meeting. Take them yourself. Check online for local NA or AA meetings, but the bottom line is that the person must truly want to stop.

The "War of Drugs" is and will always be a loosing battle with the money involved.

OP
OP
NOLA_Ken

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your kind words, and your truth. I know that nothing I could have done would have stopped this, postponed, maybe, but it's a losing path. Sadly she is not the first I have lost to this stupidity, and I fear she won't be the last. What sucks, is I'm almost used to it enough to not care, and I hate the thought of that. I'm not a perfect person by any means, and have made many mistakes in my life, but I've learned from them, and the mistakes of others...... I just wish that there was some way to pass that along. All I can say is goodbye my friend, I'm glad I had the privilege of knowing you while you were here, and I only wish we had more time to be friends.......

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry for your loss.

bcinbucks

Dec 30, 2007
Philadelphia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just lost a dear friend to drugs......Heroin to be precise.... I'm absolutely furious right now and need to vent somewhere, but yelling at the house is not getting it done.

I've been pretty stupid occasionally in my 42 years, and I've done some dumb things, but dope has never entered the picture. I tried to be understanding and I tried my best to help, but it was all for nothing. I hate this, and I wonder what I could have done, but the answer is always nothing! Now I wonder what is the benefit of this so called "war on drugs" when a 25 year old girl ends up dead? I wish this wasn't a family oriented forum right now so I could say what's really on my mind!

I guess if nothing else comes of this, I hope that other people who might read this will take notice and stay away from the evil that stole my friend this past weekend. Learn from what we tell you about why these drugs are so bad for you, think about what it does to those you'll leave behind, and never EVER touch them.

I'm sorry to post such a horrible thing here, but I feel that we need to pass this message along to the younger generation who may be at risk. Show them this photo, tell them that this was a beautiful and intelligent 25 year old girl, who will never have a chance to be anything now because drugs stole her life!
View attachment 696557 Brianna Bernstein.... R.I.P.
You will be sadly missed.

Sorry for your loss.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel sorry for all people on Earth who died because of illegal drugs.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Each generation of my family has had one hopeless drunk. Currently, it is my sister. An uncle died in 1966 of damaged liver. (I can't spell the liver disease this late at night.) My maternal grandfather spent quite a while in the country jail for public intox when he was in his 70's.

There seems to be something in some people which gives them a need for SOMETHING. I have never felt the need.

I tried to take a drink or two in my younger years, but as soon as the crud hits the back of my throat, I start gagging and try to vomit.

People told me I could learn to drink. And, I asked, Why??? Sounds to me like I am getting a message from God to leave the stuff alone.

Sorry, Ken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread