granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read online about dropping temps and what it means for ticks and hibernation, but I'd like to hear what some experienced wood hunters have to say... there are virgin woods near my house that I'd like to hit, but in the summer it's infested with ticks. Waiting for the cold! Comments appreciated. Thanks.

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ticks don't hibernate. They can be active even in the winter (on a warm winter day) Get some good bug spray.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As nickmarch says. I've had 2 ticks embedded in me the last 2 days with temperature in the low 30's. I've had ticks crawling on me in January when it was in the low 40's. Ticks don't bother me. I'm too active out doors for them to keep me holed up indoors.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks. You've pretty much confirmed my suspicions. I've got 40% deet, layers of clothes, etc. Now to go dig up hundreds of beer cans and hope I find something good in the process :-)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in NJ and never had a tick problem.. The again, they leave me alone out of pure respect :tongue3:

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in NJ and never had a tick problem.. The again, they leave me alone out of pure respect :tongue3:

LOL. In early summer I walked my dogs NEAR the woods, not in them, and I looked down and had a tick on my leg. One brazen ******* if you ask me!

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a hunter and farm boy from NJ, dont think ticks are in for the winter, their not. I have dogs and they seem to find ticks year around even in the winter. Ofcourse if you have a tick issue and or just dont like the tought of them on you , your best bet is cold weather it definatly helps but u should still pay attention to them. Hang your clothes up otuside when you get back . A day or two of hanging outside they will leave because body heat is what they react to. Take a shower and closely inspect yourself and you should have no problems.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's not the ticks you see that are the problem. it's the ones you don't! NJ is infested with Deer Ticks. The pin head sized adults are hard enough to spot, the nyphs almost impossible!

Ticks never take a day off. Depending on the level of infestation they could be less active in cooler temps, but any day above freezing and they are looking for a meal. Once we get a hard freeze, the activity should slow way down.

That said, it's best to protect yourself. In winter not a tough call, long sleeved shirt, long leg pants tucked into socks. Lighter colors are better than darker so you can see the little suckers. Carry a magnifying glass and tick pulling tweezers. Permethrin is the only deterent. You can soak your clothes in it and wear it after it drys. Some people carry lint rollers if hunting or hiking in overly infested areas. Getting tick counts into the hundreds isn't uncommon. A partner to lint roller the ticks off you is a bonus. Finally, when you get home, take your clothes and give them a 20 minute ride in the dryer. That will kill any unseen hitch hikers.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread