A “call” that ends in a “silver” lining...

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I haven’t been on here in ages but I have been lurking recently. Watching the Today’s Finds the last few months has really lit a fire under my bum to get out and about recently.
So, it was very recently, and I got out and had an amazing day with a good friend of mine.
We were driving towards the shore to detect a bit as he was driving... and then I swore I saw a shiny black square in the road, thinking it was a phone possibly... but NO WAY. I asked him to stop and he pulled over ASAP. I ran back as I tracked the dark square in the middle of the road behind us. As I got closer, I saw it was a phone, but then I also noticed a car approaching. It’s a main road so cars were coming. I prayed the car wouldn’t run the phone over as I huffed the last few feet. As I approached, the car SKIMMED the case and the phone spun happily as I finally snatched it up after the car narrowly missed crushing it. I thought... YES! a new phone for me!! It was a galaxy s7 edge. Brand new with a case. Still playing music. I was so excited.
So we continue on our journey to the shore. Along the way, I knew I wouldn’t keep the phone or sell it... I just knew it would be a matter of time before the calls came through from the owner...

To make a long story short, the owner of the phone contacted the phone as I was detecting and I got back to him and arranged a pickup. He was still nearby! He was so thankful and I honestly didn’t want a reward but the gentleman offered $20 and insisted I take it. I accepted and was happy I could help him. He was SO relieved and I felt so good to return his phone. Even if I got nothing, I knew it was the right thing to do. I honestly didn’t expect a reward. I Just knew that if I was him, I would be just as thankful for someone returning my phone. Such a wonderful experience.

I did manage to find a silver ring before we met up.

A .925...and that, I suppose, was my good karma. And $20 from the owner[emoji6]

What a great feeling and a welcome back to detecting. The bug bit me hard and I’ve been out searching almost daily in the last week.

Here’s to hoping I can contribute some good finds to this community.

And to the novices like me, that are in despair...
putting in the time and effort ABSOLUTELY pays off. Keep searching my friends. The good finds always come.

Also found my first cremation tag. I know that’s a gray area with detectorists, but I still think it’s cool.

IMG_4345.JPG IMG_4343.JPG

Sorry but I never took a pic of the phone experience. Pretty sure I’ll never forget that one. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 15

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice return and good Karma- Congrats!

-- Jeff --

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit a spot after a fireworks show once and found a phone still activated and called the first person on the contact list. They informed me of the owner and we arranged a meeting to return the phone. I ended up having dinner with the family and although I didn't want a reward the owner's husband happened to be an Indian artifact hunter. He handed me an 1886 Morgan dollar he found while looking for Indian relics. I could not refuse such a cool reward. Doing the right thing always pays off in the end. Cool post.:headbang:

OP
OP
afxtwin

afxtwin

Nov 12, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Deteknix Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread