A carved button for the good section ...

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
((((((( (5)t.jpg One of my better finds for 2020 came as a surprise. I was hunting an ancient Burlington County (NJ) site from the 1700s. The homestead building was constructed circa 1730 and burnt down in 1812, per a neighbor to the area. I did find some oddly (badly) corroded large cents and one quite decent 1737 British cent. Right after digging an unreadable half cent, I was fooled by a button — thinking it was a coin. I gave little thought to the button … until I got home, cleaned it and revealed a wonderful hand-etched scene -- maybe Holland, though it might have an early American look. It’s about the size of a quarter, meaning it must have been very work intensive, eye-wise, to carve. I therefore think it might have been a single drawstring button worn at the neck area of a shawl, sash or cape. That could explain the two strange holes near the ring on the button back. The holes could also be heat vents for annealing the carved metal front piece to the base/back of the button. The button’s oddest angle — one I forwarded to my waveriding Facebook friends — is was how much the human figure in the lower right corner of the button looks like a surfer. This find goes into the special button section -- with my five Washington inaugural buttons and lone “Fire!” button, i.e. my best buttons.
((((((( (2)a.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 12

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
That's cool! I thought 'surfer' at first sight too...lol

OP
OP
tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OLDSEAN ... never even considered handmade. Thanx.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding personal item recovery, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree looks like hes getting ready to put a boat in the water. That will go nice with the fireman and Washington buttons pretty cool

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The human figures, to me, appear to be participating in the "Blanket Toss" game, such as performed by the tribes of the Arctic region, including Greenland. The "Flyer" is executing the perfect surfer pose at the top of his/her jump! Lol! What an amazing button it is. Congrats, Sub 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread