Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Got out again yesterday with my friend Sanddigger. Our intentions were to go back to the field where she had found a cut piece in a remote corner last week. It was a field we hunted hard last year. There was a 1600s homesite on this property and some early silver including a 1583 hammered sixpence and lots of nice buttons were dug here last year. But we ended up stopping by and talking with the owner first, and ended up getting permission to hunt the yard at a c1730 site that was nearby. We were told it had been pounded, but decided to give a try instead of going back to the field. There were signals everywhere, but it was also very trashy and irony - to an extreme. Then throw in the power lines right next to where we were hunting and it was one of the most difficult detecting challenges I’ve ever had to deal with. I was forced to cherry pick as best as I could and decided to only dig the higher tones, or an occasional deep one if I could pick it out of all the junk. But I ended up having a good day with a number of nice coins. There was also a thick oyster shell layer at about the 4-6" level across the whole property, and somehow I was finding memorial pennies 3-4 inches into that. I couldn't figure that one out. My best find was a colonial coin first for me with a German 1 pfennig copper coin dated 1786. I also dug a slick colonial copper and a really nice 1856-O dime, plus a couple of newer silver coins. Since I was cherry picking the high tones I didn't get any buttons, but I'm sure some are hiding there. I also found this cool looking Nylotis compact from the early-to-mid 1900s and a large woman’s pin. Ina made some nice finds too which I'm sure she'll post. We’re going to try to make it back to the original field today so hopefully we can get into some more colonial goodies.

Attachments

• 010913a.JPG
    010913a.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 010913c.JPG
    010913c.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 192
  • 010913d.JPG
    010913d.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 010913f.JPG
    010913f.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 010913i.JPG
    010913i.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 191
Upvote 11

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job buddy.yaw are in one heck of a spot there.I like that 1786 penny.cool!!!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT JOB !!!:occasion14:

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bill,
Good job picking them out of the trash, iron and EMI, way to go8-)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You seem to be getting out every day now Bill. That's retired life I guess :laughing7:

Congrats on the German coin. Nice seated too!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You overcame the frustrations of trash, electrical interference, and a site being hit before to make a GREAT haul! Which of your detectors were you using to pick through the trash?

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill - You're killing me with your finds!

5 nice coins from that site has been "pounded"? I could make a living hunting behind the guys who "pounded" it.

DCMatt

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You overcame the frustrations of trash, electrical interference, and a site being hit before to make a GREAT haul! Which of your detectors were you using to pick through the trash?

I was using my F75, and with the stock coil believe it or not. This machine is excellent in the iron.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a killer site you found! I found a 1 phenning similar to that in Germany when stationed there, Very cool.

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds...i got a few keepers today too..can't wait to get back out there tomorrow..gotta take advantage of the mild weather

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using my F75, and with the stock coil believe it or not. This machine is excellent in the iron.

Were the good targets bouncy or solid numbers? I'm still in the process of learning the F75.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and pictures as usual, Bill. Does the German coin have anything on the other side? It's a very simple coin, but kinda neat for that reason.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When you're hunting in heavy iron the good targets are hard to identify, but when you hear just a brief positive chirp in between all the iron grunts you need to zone in and do a short coil wiggle to lock it in. By the way, I guess I should tell you that I love to hunt with 0 disc, 99 sensitivity (although I turn it back some in the heavy iron), and in JE mode. That's pretty much gives you the maximum depth you can get out of this machine. I love to hear the iron so I know its there which makes me slow down. When you turn up the disc to null out the iron I feel as though it can cause you to miss some good signals. Its hard to explain, but that's what my experience tells me. Many hunters don't like the F75 as its a rather noisy machine, especially if you hunt the way I do, but I've learned to tune out all the garbage and just lock in on the good stuff.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds and pictures as usual, Bill. Does the German coin have anything on the other side? It's a very simple coin, but kinda neat for that reason.

Doesn't look like there's anything on the back. Not sure it was worn slick or if it was made that way.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you're hunting in heavy iron the good targets are hard to identify, but when you hear just a brief positive chirp in between all the iron grunts you need to zone in and do a short coil wiggle to lock it in. By the way, I guess I should tell you that I love to hunt with 0 disc, 99 sensitivity (although I turn it back some in the heavy iron), and in JE mode. That's pretty much gives you the maximum depth you can get out of this machine. I love to hear the iron so I know its there which makes me slow down. When you turn up the disc to null out the iron I feel as though it can cause you to miss some good signals. Its hard to explain, but that's what my experience tells me. Many hunters don't like the F75 as its a rather noisy machine, especially if you hunt the way I do, but I've learned to tune out all the garbage and just lock in on the good stuff.

I love my F75. It does chatter a lot, but I've pretty much tuned it out at this point. The depth is great, the separation of targets is great. Most of the time you can get what many have missed, especially if you go slow. By the way, the F75 comes with a warning "as the most sensitive metal detector on the market" for a reason! lol It's very sensitive, and frankly I don't see how you run it at 99 sens., Bill! 15 discrim., 80 sens. is what I have had mine at for a while, but even at 65 sens. I was still pulling bullets out at 13 to 14 inches.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bill, as you know I have been using the F75 for about 6 years now, and believe me it opened up some old sites I thought I had cleaned out. I totally agree about your "short wiggle" when you get the slightest indication of a good signal in heavy trash. When I am in an area where evry sweep is full of chirps and pops, I know that's where good targets are hiding. If I get a good tone and number, even just for a second, I zone in on that spot and reduce my sweep to 3 or 4 inches, and it's amazing how you can draw that signal out of the ground so that it repeats. If I am still unsure, I will scape an inch or two of the surface dirt away, and I swear it's amazing how often that iffy signal will ring in loud and clear!

What I don't necessarily agree with is what you say is running at 99 sens and 0 disc. That is fine if you are on a spot with little trash and no electrical interference. In a real trashy spot you will just get sensory overload in your headphones. I usually run at 94 sens and 4 disc if I can. After hitting a trashy area with the higher settings, I will go back over it with lower (75) sensitivity and higher (15) discrimination. That being said, I believe that sites I typically hunt, which are later, have a lot more trash than your typical sites, which are a lot earlier.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, I sometimes like the really trashy spots, It's kinda like a duel
who's better you or al the things you gotta fight through to find the good
stuff. Glad to see that ya'll won today..........................HH

Top Member Reactions