A couple incredible finds from the nail road

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Barber Obverse 043024.jpg Barber Reverse 043024.jpg Barber Luster 043024.jpg

Went back to the nail site to see what might remain hidden. Pulled up what has to be the best Barber Dime I have ever found. Incredible detail. And plenty of mint luster left on both sides. I tried to capture some of that luster with the third picture.
Yes, there is a ding in the dime. I am pleading innocent on this one. I gave the target a wide berth. And upon inspection the ding does not appear shinier than the coin itself which usually indicates a fresh gash. If I DID get it, I deserve to be banned from the hobby.

Great Coat Button Obverse 043024.jpg Great Coat Button Reverse 043024.jpg

This button was completely obscured by nails. It too is in great condition. Best I could determine it is an 1820s to 1830s general service "Great Coat" button.

Anchor Piece 043024.jpg

One last item I found, again completely obscured by nails, is this item with an anchor. Not sure if it is a button or what. It is completely encrusted on the back, unlike the other finds that weren't all that far from it.

Today's finds...

1820s to 1830s General Service Great Coat Button
1909 Barber Dime
Anchor Button?

PBS

Upvote 38

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2146501 View attachment 2146502 View attachment 2146503

Went back to the nail site to see what might remain hidden. Pulled up what has to be the best Barber Dime I have ever found. Incredible detail. And plenty of mint luster left on both sides. I tried to capture some of that luster with the third picture.
Yes, there is a ding in the dime. I am pleading innocent on this one. I gave the target a wide berth. And upon inspection the ding does not appear shinier than the coin itself which usually indicates a fresh gash. If I DID get it, I deserve to be banned from the hobby.

View attachment 2146504 View attachment 2146505

This button was completely obscured by nails. It too is in great condition. Best I could determine it is an 1820s to 1830s general service "Great Coat" button.

View attachment 2146506

One last item I found, again completely obscured by nails, is this item with an anchor. Not sure if it is a button or what. It is completely encrusted on the back, unlike the other finds that weren't all that far from it.

Today's finds...

1909 Barber Dime
Anchor Button?

PBS
very nice barber and buttons, wtg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I just found the same button! :hello2:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

View attachment 2146506

Today's finds...

1909 Barber Dime
Anchor Button?

PBS
Dulce!

Would you be willing to share some more information about your "nail site?" Obvious, not where it is - just what it is. An old farm? Homestead? You're in SW Michigan - a logging camp?

Are your finds near buildings (or foundations) or out in an open area?

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter, Whites Spectrum XLT, Whites MXT, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dulce!

Would you be willing to share some more information about your "nail site?" Obvious, not where it is - just what it is. An old farm? Homestead? You're in SW Michigan - a logging camp?

Are your finds near buildings (or foundations) or out in an open area?

Thank you!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
It's a complete road reconstruction, walks included. Nails are generally where the walks once were...in a rather old and still busy neighborhood.

PBS

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2146506

Today's finds...

1909 Barber Dime
Anchor Button?

PBS
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
PlzBSeated

PlzBSeated

Mar 8, 2014
SW Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the silver and the buttons.
The coat button us top shelf.
Old gash-new micro rub scratches.
Point taken. Could probably stand to improve the recovery skills.

PBS

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2146506

Today's finds...

1909 Barber Dime
Anchor Button?

PBS
All great finds...sounds like you earned it with all the nails...4 sided nails?

Congratulations!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2146506

Today's finds...

1909 Barber Dime
Anchor Button?

PBS
All 3 of those finds are special, but that Barber dime is pristine- Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread