A couple of Eel River finds from Whitley County Indiana

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Here are a couple of finds from two different sites along the Eel River in Whitley County Indiana (great sites until no-till.) The largest Dove was in the Earl Townsend collection, but I knew the finder and the sites he hunted, so I bought that and a couple of other pieces at Earl's auction.

Mix of material since there isn't much locally to be found, Flint Ridge from Ohio, Indiana Green from down the Wabash River, and some Burlington that started showing up during the Woodland period.

Eel River.jpg

Upvote 0

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection:thumbsup:I would have loved to see that first piece before it broke, looks like a super fine knife blade.

Kevin in IN

Feb 21, 2011
N.Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov.GT , Explorer SE Pro , Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group you got there. Is that lower left a snyder's. Looks Hopewell. I think it was Earl Townsend who had a popeyed bird stone that was found on my grandfathers farm when state road 13 was built.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment!! I see Doves, Snyders hopewell, stillwell, and possible kanawha bifurcates.......nice array...

OP
OP
joshuaream

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Your item looks more like it was used as a knife blade. The blade edge in the first photo looks like it has been flaked more on one side than the other.

Yes, it is a knife. These knives are found on late mississippian prehistoric sites in Northern Indiana and Ohio, and the name Ft. Ancient stuck with local collectors. They aren't really Ft. Ancient like Steve V finds down in Southern Ohio and Northern Kentucky, so I say Ft. Ancient style. The actual group was the Springwells Phase, but no one uses that name outside of a couple of archaeologists.

Instead of an alternating bevel like archaic pieces, they are beveled in one direction on both sides. Giving the knife an odd angle as they were resharpened.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found/seen a few knives with the distinct type flaking opposite each other here in Montana. By the way that sure is a pretty material, and I have found a similar type out here.

ncnurseryman

Jul 28, 2013
north carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice collection you got. That knife blade looks just like the type Eddie makes.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140219_183924.png
    ForumRunner_20140219_183924.png
    224.9 KB · Views: 124

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread