A couple of my finds these past few weeks... (silver;IOOF)

Brian B

Mar 22, 2011

Attachments

• SQFACE1.jpg
    SQFACE1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 509
  • SQFACE2.jpg
    SQFACE2.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 498
  • SQFACE3.jpg
    SQFACE3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 502
  • IOOF1.jpg
    IOOF1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 501
  • IOOF2.jpg
    IOOF2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 493
  • IOOF3.jpg
    IOOF3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 498
  • IOOF4.jpg
    IOOF4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 491
  • IOOF5.jpg
    IOOF5.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 501
  • IOOF6.jpg
    IOOF6.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 496

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasurenet! Some one found a coin like that, here on the forum a while back, i'll see if I can find it. There is a collector market for these "pushed out" 3-d type of coins. I found this tidbit of info. also- The first appearance of these "punched out" or pushed out coins was way back in the Chicago World's Fair of 1893. Many were produced at later fairs and expositions for sale to the public as well.
Here are some past auction results-
http://tinyurl.com/3taspug

I like the Odd Fellows stuff too. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

Brian B

Mar 22, 2011
Nice! Thanks! They wanted three bucks for the quarter, and I talked them down to 2. Hit a coin shop that was on my way home. They told me it just ruined the value of the coin. I told them I thought that there is going to be some value just because someone to the time to do it, and someone would appreciate it.

Also on the Odd Fellow stuff, not sure of their worth, but the guy wanted $150, and I got him down to $60. I think I could get more then that back at least.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian B said:
Nice! Thanks! They wanted three bucks for the quarter, and I talked them down to 2. Hit a coin shop that was on my way home. They told me it just ruined the value of the coin. I told them I thought that there is going to be some value just because someone to the time to do it, and someone would appreciate it.

Also on the Odd Fellow stuff, not sure of their worth, but the guy wanted $150, and I got him down to $60. I think I could get more then that back at least.
Good score on the quarter, most true coin collectors are purists and probably would scoff at it, however that doesn't mean it doesn't have value to those who do collect these particular types of coins, as the past auction results have shown.
I'm no expert but even in todays depressed economy, I think you could more than double your money on the IOOF stuff at $5 a pop per piece, there are a couple pieces that would sell for $10-15 I would think. In the right (specialty) auction it could sell for more than that. Ebay is sometimes a bargain hunters paradise for collectors. You can get things there cheaper than you can at a local auction alot of times. Go figure.

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
I would be happy to buy that quarter for spot price plus a few bucks, cool little piece! pm me if interested in selling

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Treat that quarter as a novelty and not as a collectible coin and I am sure it will sell just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread