Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what $170.00 bought me ...

Had the weekend off finally so I hit some sales on Saturday. First one I went to I purchased a
N.Y.N.H.&H. R.R. kerosene Lantern (that's New York New Haven and Hartford Railroad) latest patent date is 1912 it looks like, a little hard to read. I got it and a pair of Sterling salt and pepper shakers marked N.S.Co. weighted sterling (only the very bottom of the bases are weighted). I paid $5 for both. I am having battery problems with my camera so I didn't get a photo of the shakers yet but I will. Here's the lantern-

100_4612.jpg
100_4613.jpg

The morning was looking good already so I headed off to the second sale where a guy had advertised sterling silver and depression glass. I found three pieces of vintage sterling jewelry there plus a salt glazed stoneware gallon jug (no marks). He wanted $5 for the jug, $25 for the Sterling Navajo cuff bracelet (marked Sterling and has "JM" makers mark initials) and $40 for the Victorian (or Edwardian?) looking bracelet (marked .925 no signature) and $10 for the Mexican Taxco Silver Aztec head Malachite necklace and pendant, pendant weighs 68.37 grams (most of that is the malachite) and the necklace weighs 18.36 grams. I bundled it all and offered him $65 for all four pieces and he accepted. The Navajo bracelet has a stone that I am not familiar with, when I get my camera working again, i'll post better pics, it weighs 88.14 grams, the other bracelet weighs 77.21 grams.
I left there and we were off to the third sale, this one was an estate sale about 15 miles away. We turned into the neighborhood where it was at and saw another sale on the way there. It was almost time for theestate sale to start so we kept driving around the next 2 blocks to get to the estate sale before all the "good" stuff was gone. Well wouldn't you know it, there was a big sign on the door that said "Estate Sale Sold Out". I was po'd to say the least. So we decided to go ahead and stop at the other slae since we were already there and it turned out to be a good stop. I ended up buying2 pieces of gold jewelry there. The first was a 10k heart bracelet with 12 small diamonds in it, it weighs 5.86 grams, the 2nd was a 14k necklace with a "Matty's Angel" charm that weighed 6.73 grams. Turns out it was jewelry that her ex-boyfriend had bought her so she no longer wanted it in her possession (as she put it). I offered her $100 for the 2 pieces, she accepted.
Here is the pics,-

100_4614.jpg
100_4611.jpg
100_4606.jpg

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here's what $165.00 bought me ...

I got that exact Mexican Malachite pendant and some smaller malachite earrings about a month back. I was a bit luckier.... got mine for 25 cents.

Cheers

Bartholomewroberts

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here's what $170.00 bought me ...

bartholomewroberts said:
I got that exact Mexican Malachite pendant and some smaller malachite earrings about a month back. I was a bit luckier.... got mine for 25 cents.

Cheers

Bartholomewroberts
Nice. What are the markings on them? :thumbsup:

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mine just says Mexico 925. Having said that, knowing Mexico, it might or might not be 925. But for two bits, who cares.

Still better than the Alpaca silver earrings I got.. Paid a buck... and there is no silver in them. :tongue3: Ah well, live and learn

Cheers

Bartholomewroberts

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bartholomewroberts said:
Mine just says Mexico 925. Having said that, knowing Mexico, it might or might not be 925. But for two bits, who cares.

Still better than the Alpaca silver earrings I got.. Paid a buck... and there is no silver in them. :tongue3: Ah well, live and learn

Cheers

Bartholomewroberts
I hear ya. I had to tell a seller about their Alpaca marked piece that they thought (and were selling as) was Sterling about a month or so ago. Mexico is pretty good about the markings on their silver, especially the older pre 1979 stuff. Though fake pieces are definitely around. Mine is marked .850 (not quite sterling) with TA-156. The "T" stands for Taxco which is the city it was made in, the second letter "A" is the first initial of the silversmiths last name, the number "156" indicates that he/she is the 156th silversmith to register a mark in the cities' assay office. Unfortunately there are no records available to match the numbers to the names of the silversmiths, less than 15 have been identified. All this tells me is that the piece was made after 1979 which is when the Mexican Gov. replaced the eagle mark with this letter/numbering system.

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just decided to re-examine mine.. And wouldn't you know it... it does say 925.. and then there is a TA-15* .... with the * being some number I cannot make out.

Many thanks for the information. I guess I assumed that it just said Mexico without really examining it.

Cheers

Bartholomewroberts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread