A Couple Things From the Sea

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I went out last Tuesday and got skunked. Not a beep, not a pull tab, nothing. So I grabbed my super scoop and hit the trough looking for shells.

I found a huge clam shell, colored sea glass, and a piece of coral. (quarter for scale)
MD Finds 017.jpg
MD Finds 020.jpg

A beautiful conch shell, my best so far.
MD Finds 019.jpg

And this fossilized tooth.
MD Finds 018.jpg

Still searchin' for those coins though
Thanks for lookin' and happy hunting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
littlebill31

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks. If you're refering to the conch, it's got to be my best and is about 9 inches long. The previous owner must have just moved out. They don't last too long in the surf around here. Mostly getting broken.
The clam shell is just big. I've never found one quite that large. Probably one tough clam.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I am wondering if your tooth isn't actually a piece of a shell. It doesn't took too toothy (without seeing the other side) and I can't tell you how many times I have bent over to pick up a fantastic shark tooth, only to find out it was a piece of oyster or clam shell. Looked so good from 6 feet up. My back aches now, just thinking about it.

But your coral, that's cool. That could be fossilized, or are you on a Florida beach?

OP
OP
littlebill31

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I'm in Delaware. We find tons of teeth and fossils here. I'm sure it's a fossil.
Most likely permineralization. It's also mostly likely not a tooth from a fish. Just 'cuz it came from the sea doesn't mean it lived in the sea. I found a cat skull once in the ocean.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
Cat skull is too cool. I have found a couple of good chunks of jaguar teeth, and my wife found a knock out horse tooth. I hope it is a fossil tooth. We made 2 trips to So. Carolina just to hunt for shark teeth. Could you be my long lost Eastern brother? Let's go beach combing.

OP
OP
littlebill31

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I love beach coming. We find a ton on neat stuff in the surf. I go out and pick around atleast twice a week. Lots of shells, sea glass, ect. Anytime ya wanna go. There is a spot in the Cheapeake that has a bunch of small shark teeth to be found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread