A crazy rare Revolutionary War period General Washington cufflink.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Got a nice holiday miracle this morning.
While going through various pieces of copper from my late December detecting trip I have noticed a pretty worn but interesting partial cufflink that seemed to have a right facing profile on it. I didn't pay too much attention to it at first, thinking I might have found one of the George III profile pieces.
20190104_105343.jpg

To my surprise,after a bit of the research,it appears to be one of the rare types of early American patriotic jewellery. In fact, Heritage Auctions had a silver cufflink of the exact same type describing it as an Extremely Rare Circa 1775-1780 George Washington Shanked Cufflink The price realized seems to corroborate their statement and they mention knowing of only one other existing piece of this type (no mention of existence of the brass ones what so ever).
Screenshot_20190104-155911_Chrome.jpg 20190104_160153.jpg
20190104_193618a.jpg Screenshot_20190104-155911_Chrome.jpg
You can notice the clearly visible letters G-E (General) on the lower left and W-A (Washington) on the top right.
It's funny, but just a few days ago I was complaining to a friend of mine about the fact that I have never found any GW relic and questioning the possibility of ever finding one.Well it seems like I got way more than what I was hoping for as this item predates the inaugural buttons and was made before the end of the Revolutionary War. :headbang:

Thanks for the comments.

Upvote 60

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool. There are some disimiliarities though compared to the genuine silver example. What is with the S in the forehead? Could this possibly be mistaken for GEorgius? The king instead?

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool. There are some disimiliarities though compared to the genuine silver example. What is with the S in the forehead? Could this possibly be mistaken for GEorgius? The king instead?

I don't see why there would be an "S" on the forehead even if it was indeed George III, it could be just an effect of corrosion. If you look at 1 o'clock ( top right)on the first pic you'll notice the clearly visible letters W and A

Last edited:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome little surprise treasure you uncovered and great ID work. Congrats!!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well ain’t that flippin’ awesome! I would have dumped it in the button bucket and never realized what I had.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful, I would display this on my desk in a small frame. Great conversation piece. Yes, please do not clean it.

Thanks. No I won't clean it, that's for sure.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super rare find! That is so cool. Banner worthy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread