Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this .45 semi-auto pistol yesterday. I, so far, looks to be a military Colt .45. Had wooden grips and the few fragments remaining of them look to be walnut to me. The magazine is still in the magazine well. I can't see any bullets through the tell tale holes in the magazine but that doesn't mean there isn't one or two there and possibly one in the tube.

I now have it in an electrolysis bath and hopefully in a few days will have it cleaned up a little.

I found it in a large wooded tract of land with no houses currently nearby. It was about 18" down in the ground. I have no idea if it was intentionally buried or lost by someone passing through the woods years ago.

As corroded and deep as it was, if it was lost, it was lost a very long time ago.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 241
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 250
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 238
Upvote 18
OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might add if it was intentionally buried where I found it, someone went to a lot of trouble to do it.

But you can't hide from Curious The George.

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome gun. You might would want to give to the cops to be on the safe side.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard telling how it got there, but I'd imagine it was probably lost by a hunter or camper. As far as giving it to the police, like Terry said, it's way too toasty to get ballistics out of, and I'm sure the serial number will be gone too, so tracing it would be impossible. From how thick the rust is I'd say it's a safe bet that it's been there for a long time. It's a shame it's fried, the 1911 is probably my favorite American pistol...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick story for you. There's a guy here in Maine that I know who found a hand gun and a cel phone while detecting. He brought them both to the cops and they were able to link them to a grizzly murder in which two drug dealers from Mass shot three teenagers in a car then burned them inside. The gun and phone were instrumental in putting those two away. This obviously was an extreme case but you just never know what you might have.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion, , too deep to have been dropped. Maybe in an open lot where dirt or fill was dropped off. That doesn't happen in a large wooded tract of land. Yep, , I would definitely go with intentionally being buried. If you remember which way the barrel was pointing, then measure off a distance of 10 paces. That is where the Bank Loot was buried. lol
Congrats on a sweet find.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Electrolysis. Get that thing cooking and knock the rust off.

Super find.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats nice recovery.
Ya that's been there for awhile.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a snubnose, swore it was real then I was trying ti knock off a little of the rust and discovered it was a toy gun. Yours looks real cook it for awhile and keep us posted. I bet you will be able to read a serial number if there is one that has not been filed off already. That deep tells me it was buried, might not be that long ago judging by the amount of rust I see in your pix. That really looks to me to not be allot of rust? JMO

Cool find nice work

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have turned it in to authorities, even if they scoff at any significance. It may have been found on property where there was an investigation many years ago...that turned up everything but the weapon. That is one thing that may have been needed to convict. Who knows what went on at the location you found it. The body may have been just a foot away from the gun......wow, I am reading way more into this than I need to. I need another beer:laughing7:

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing could have been buried for 60 or 70 years. If it's a real Colt 1911 the high quality steel should have held up under all that rust quite well, so after electrolysis it should look pretty nice. After electrolysis you may also want to consider dunking it into some "Evapo-Rust" or similar de-rusting solution, it's cheap and I've been using it to much success, it gets anything the electrolysis doesn't and makes the metal ultra clean without damaging it, also nontoxic and harmless to skin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread