Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this .45 semi-auto pistol yesterday. I, so far, looks to be a military Colt .45. Had wooden grips and the few fragments remaining of them look to be walnut to me. The magazine is still in the magazine well. I can't see any bullets through the tell tale holes in the magazine but that doesn't mean there isn't one or two there and possibly one in the tube.

I now have it in an electrolysis bath and hopefully in a few days will have it cleaned up a little.

I found it in a large wooded tract of land with no houses currently nearby. It was about 18" down in the ground. I have no idea if it was intentionally buried or lost by someone passing through the woods years ago.

As corroded and deep as it was, if it was lost, it was lost a very long time ago.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 242
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 251
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 239
Upvote 18

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waiting for the results - Keep us posted. Thanks!

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thing going on in the electrolysis tank. I have the negative lead attached to a SS tablespoon. The butt of the pistol was closer to it than the muzzle. The spoon started turning green late last night. Only thing that could be is brass. There are no components of a Mod. 1911 made of brass. So, there must be a round or two in the upper part of the magazine that I can't see. And perhaps one in the chamber but I don't think enough of one in the chamber would be exposed yet so I am guessing in the magazine.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting thing going on in the electrolysis tank. I have the negative lead attached to a SS tablespoon. The butt of the pistol was closer to it than the muzzle. The spoon started turning green late last night. Only thing that could be is brass. There are no components of a Mod. 1911 made of brass. So, there must be a round or two in the upper part of the magazine that I can't see. And perhaps one in the chamber but I don't think enough of one in the chamber would be exposed yet so I am guessing in the magazine.

SWEET find. :thumbsup: I cant wait to see post electrolysis pictures.

You want the NEGATIVE lead attached to the pistol (item to be cleaned) and the POSITIVE lead attached to the anode (ss spoon). Switch those wires around!

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want the NEGATIVE lead attached to the pistol (item to be cleaned) and the POSITIVE lead attached to the anode (ss spoon). Switch those wires around!

Let me try that again. The bubbles are coming off the pistol. As well as large clumps of rust. So I guess I have the leads the way you say. Or I hope I do. I stand corrected.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me try that again. The bubbles are coming off the pistol. As well as large clumps of rust. So I guess I have the leads the way you say. Or I hope I do. I stand corrected.

It sounds like you have it correct. :thumbsup: If clumps of rust are falling off the pistol, then you must have the polarity correct with the negative lead on the pistol and the positive lead on the anode (ss spoon). Bubbles will come off both the anodes and the pistol, but the majority of bubbles should come off the pistol. It is important to make sure the polarity is correct, since if its backwards and the + lead is attached to the pistol, it will use the pistol as the sacrificial anode! My main tank I have a car charger with the leads identified... but my smaller tank I use an old phone charger... I had to use a multimeter to identify the lead polarity for the phone charger since the wires were not labeled.

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the multi-meter challenged. Can you explain how to identify which lead is which on a small phone or other electronic equipment charger. I tried using a multi-meter and it made no sense to me. I do have a digital meter, not an old analog meter.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you have hooked as to how this turns out!!

OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting a new post with photos of the .45 cleaned up. It will be, "Mod. 1911 .45 cal. Lost Pistol."

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THATS A COOL AS HECK FIND . WONDER WHAT THE STORY IS ABOUT IT.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My guess is two bank robbers got away with their heist and decided to rendezvous at that place in the woods to give time for things to cool off. Well one robber was a bit greedy and decided he wanted all the loot so he shot his partner and buried him and the pistol was tucked in his pants when he buried him. So if you dig around there you might be able to find robber #2 in that same hole with the gun. lol That depth sounds about the right depth to quickly cover a body too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread