Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are some who don't subscribe to the love token theory.
They say that there are just too many and it's all a myth.

Any ideas what else they could be?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some who don't subscribe to the love token theory.
They say that there are just too many and it's all a myth.

Any ideas what else they could be?

To me thats not a sign that its untrue, only that it was popular.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 52

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one on the silver love token, but the Tudor clothing fastener is a real choice find for sure. Both finds have a personal touch to them, which is better than simple coinage.
The first Love Token I dug was a copper and I thought no wonder it's in the field you poor sod.

Have you ever dug a counter stamped Love token?

I'm looking forward to Robs reply.

But to add to the debate, I've never had one, all my smooth couterstamped silver coins are flat.

Do you know of any?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All the counter stamp are flat also, thought it would be a given that there would be one made into a Love token.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the counter stamp are flat also, thought it would be a given that there would be one made into a Love token.

I'm speculation here, but the couterstamps were to keep a worn coin in circulation, & a bent coin made into a Love Token was taking it out of circulation, so there might be some sense in no crossover.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm speculation here, but the couterstamps were to keep a worn coin in circulation, & a bent coin made into a Love Token was taking it out of circulation, so there might be some sense in no crossover.

So the answer would be to use a counterstamped make it into a love token so the lady would keep the bloke in circulation:dontknow:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is mine that I found at a very early site in Pennsylvania. Looks like it may have been bent then straightened out again.

Attachments

• William IIIdug.jpg.JPG
    William IIIdug.jpg.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 50

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is mine that I found at a very early site in Pennsylvania. Looks like it may have been bent then straightened out again.

Interesting....Not seen a holed one before. I wonder if she took his gift & as they were travelling to the New World she hole it to wear around the neck for safe keeping, & maybe came on troubled times & straighten it for spending??

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting....Not seen a holed one before. I wonder if she took his gift & as they were travelling to the New World she hole it to wear around the neck for safe keeping, & maybe came on troubled times & straighten it for spending??
I was going to ask if it was common to see them holed. But it came from the same site as this holed Hungarian coin, and that site was once an Indian Trading post, so they may have been trading these coins for use as pendants. However, British troops camped here during the French & Indian War so your theory is a possibility too.

Attachments

• H.Side by Side.jpg
    H.Side by Side.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's only a love token if it's bent into a S shape, this was derived from the well-recorded practice of bending a coin when making a vow to a saint. Bending a coin when one person made a vow to another, the coin would be bent by the giver, if it was returned bent the other way, it was taken the vow was excepted, by each other.

SS

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's only a love token if it's bent into a S shape, this was derived from the well-recorded practice of bending a coin when making a vow to a saint. Bending a coin when one person made a vow to another, the coin would be bent by the giver, if it was returned bent the other way, it was taken the vow was excepted, by each other.

SS
SS, I wasn't implying that my Hungarian coin was a love token, but it is another "holed" coin from a site where trading was carried out with American Indians, who loved to wear silver trinkets, including silver coins. It would be cool if my William III love token had started out as a love token in England and ended up as jewelry on an American Indian.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to ask if it was common to see them holed. But it came from the same site as this holed Hungarian coin, and that site was once an Indian Trading post, so they may have been trading these coins for use as pendants. However, British troops camped here during the French & Indian War so your theory is a possibility too.
In many countries it is believed that holed coins are lucky, they also thought to acquire curative powers over various ailments, Such otherwise normal coins, which had been offered at communion, were purchased from the priest for 12 or 13 pennies. The coin was then punched through and worn around the neck of the sick person, or made into a ring.

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS, I wasn't implying that my Hungarian coin was a love token, but it is another "holed" coin from a site where trading was carried out with American Indians, who loved to wear silver trinkets, including silver coins. It would be cool if my William III love token had started out as a love token in England and ended up as jewelry on an American Indian.
I know you weren't Steve, I was just adding info about the love tokens to the thread.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread