hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the network news stations reported that over the last year there have been eleven mass shootings and eighty five have died.
There was a time when this just didn't happen. I also believe no one has an answer, just questions.

I remember when Dirty Harry films were being made that the difference between good/bad became blurred. Harry was a cop that returned vengeance in kind. A law on to himself. Like Harry some don't see mass killing as wrong.

There have always been guns here and not becoming a problem like this. It seems people didn't use them like today. Today even bb guns look like assault rifles. It seems any slight is reason enough for some to take it to the limit.
We have become a dangerous place.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dont worry but keep an open mind. life is not wat it seems to all of us unless there is a massive disater.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the network news stations reported that over the last year there have been eleven mass shootings and eighty five have died.
There was a time when this just didn't happen. I also believe no one has an answer, just questions.

I remember when Dirty Harry films were being made that the difference between good/bad became blurred. Harry was a cop that returned vengeance in kind. A law on to himself. Like Harry some don't see mass killing as wrong.

There have always been guns here and not becoming a problem like this. It seems people didn't use them like today. Today even bb guns look like assault rifles. It seems any slight is reason enough for some to take it to the limit.
We have become a dangerous place.

This may Documentary shed some light on the subject.
IMG_0013.JPG

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Michael Moore? He isn't seeking truth, he is trying to sway opinion. Give us something real BB.

I am interested in this subject, There is something going on.

Many claim video games. I think a couple of the shooters played alot of them.
Many claim bad parenting, and no family structure.
Breakdown of moral structure?
Not being taught empathy in a real way?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to, Honestly, but it has so many false premises and lies I couldn't keep watching. See, the basic premise is that it is a documentary. But it is really entertainment,, to some. If he had just stated that from the beginning I might have been able to watch.

"Bowling is fiction. It makes its points by deceiving and by misleading the viewer. Statements are made which are false. Moore leads the reader to draw inferences which he must have known were wrong. Indeed, even speeches shown on screen are heavily edited, so that sentences are assembled in the speaker's voice, but which were not sentences he uttered. Bowling uses deception as its primary tool of persuasion and effect.

A film which does this may be a commercial success. It may be entertaining. But it is not a documentary. One need only consult Rule 12 of the rules for the Academy Award: a documentary is a non-fictional movie.
The point is not that Bowling is biased. No, the point is that Bowling is deliberately, seriously, and consistently deceptive."

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you are saying crispin, that if you are born without empathy you are already dangerous? Sounds like that show Dexter on HBO.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So born without empathy,, a chemical imbalance in the mother? Do you think these people display empathy?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

I can't really speak for Crispin....but he kind of explained it to me from a clinical point of view....it's someone who actually feels other peoples pain and suffering not something you learn....you're either born with it or not.

He described it as a blessing and a curse....he's got it and so do I and I'm sure a few other of our cohorts on the site.

Regards + HH

Bill

So you are saying crispin, that if you are born without empathy you are already dangerous? Sounds like that show Dexter on HBO.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,

I can't really speak for Crispin....but he kind of explained it to me from a clinical point of view....it's someone who actually feels other peoples pain and suffering not something you learn....you're either born with it or not.

He described it as a blessing and a curse....he's got it and so do I and I'm sure a few other of our cohorts on the site.

Regards + HH

Bill

Please don't misunderstand me,, I know a good bit about empathy. You have seem to have more than a great many I grant. I would allow though, that probably 99.9% of the membership on Tnet has it too, to varying degrees. If you absolutely had none,, you would be a monster, what would regulate your behaviors? ( I left out .1 % because you never can tell can you?)8-)

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried to, Honestly, but it has so many false premises and lies I couldn't keep watching. See, the basic premise is that it is a documentary. But it is really entertainment,, to some. If he had just stated that from the beginning I might have been able to watch.

"Bowling is fiction. It makes its points by deceiving and by misleading the viewer. Statements are made which are false. Moore leads the reader to draw inferences which he must have known were wrong. Indeed, even speeches shown on screen are heavily edited, so that sentences are assembled in the speaker's voice, but which were not sentences he uttered. Bowling uses deception as its primary tool of persuasion and effect.

A film which does this may be a commercial success. It may be entertaining. But it is not a documentary. One need only consult Rule 12 of the rules for the Academy Award: a documentary is a non-fictional movie.
The point is not that Bowling is biased. No, the point is that Bowling is deliberately, seriously, and consistently deceptive."

Thanks for your reply Dave, I have watched it from start to finish and do find some parts of it intriguing to say the least. I was actually quite surprised what Marilyn Manson had to say when he was interviewed by Moore.

I for one believe in his analogy of fear and consumption. Just look at ammo situation in the US right now with people hoarding it up and not afraid to pay ridiculous prices. Sure many are buying it because they enjoy recreational shooting but many are just buying it because they think the boogy man is coming and they themselves can take on the world with a few thousand rounds of 22 LRs or a few thousand 223s.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
man is coming and they themselves can take on the world with a few thousand rounds of 22 LRs or a few thousand 223s.

I believe its wanting to try to survive instead of being a quitter,having the will to try equals hope(not obozos definition of hope either).Be ready or dont bother to be ready,its your life,lose it any way you want.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe its wanting to try to survive instead of being a quitter,having the will to try equals hope(not obozos definition of hope either).Be ready or dont bother to be ready,its your life,lose it any way you want.

Believe what you want RJC, I'm no quitter and if having 100 times more ammunition in your house than you can carry if you ever had to bug out makes you feel safe inside, have at it, it's your right.

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine. – Morris West

535435_590467814314105_1444693716_n.jpg

Last edited:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave,

We'll try continuing our civil discussion tomorrow or when I get back from detecting in the bush, good night.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

I'll add to that.,,,You can only enjoy the sunrise if youre around to see it.

Prepare for the worst hope for the best.

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other

Dave:

Bill did a great job with the summary. You've gone from simple posting into cup of coffee/beer at a bar territory. I've posted a bit about serial killers in the past. I'll see if I can dig any of it up. Make sure you are not confusing sympathy with empathy. Sympathy can be taught...

Crispin

Dave:

I found it. Good place to start. Oddly, Hvacker started both threads...let us continue this conversation in that thread. Poor Hvacker, we are always hijacking his threads...lol.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe what you want RJC, I'm no quitter and if having 100 times more ammunition in your house than you can carry if you ever had to bug out makes you feel safe inside, have at it, it's your right.

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine. – Morris West

View attachment 895157

I spent thousands of extra dollars putting hurricane shingles on my roof after the last hurricane stripped my roof, they are wind rated 120 mph. Was I "waiting for the storm," or was I preparing for the worse incase it happens? I may never get hit by another hurricane.

People spend thousands on health insurance, car insurance, flood insurance, home owners insurance and never need it, your not buying it because you know your going to need it, you buy it only in case of the off chance a day may come when you do need it.....

It is called being prepared, it is called protecting your family because if you don't no one else will.....I prepare for the worst, pray for the best and still enjoy life.....

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Dave:

Bill did a great job with the summary. You've gone from simple posting into cup of coffee/beer at a bar territory. I've posted a bit about serial killers in the past. I'll see if I can dig any of it up. Make sure you are not confusing sympathy with empathy. Sympathy can be taught...

Crispin

Dave:

I found it. Good place to start. Oddly, Hvacker started both threads...let us continue this conversation in that thread. Poor Hvacker, we are always hijacking his threads...lol.

Agree with Dr. "C"; WIFE has Developmental EMPATHY... BAD! ALL due to TRAUMAS in her life, makes it hard for her to "comfort" others, who are going through Trauma... she is BURNED OUT! Based on HER response, it is ALL about Pain & Suffering. Jewish AND Buddhist literature is MOSTLY about PAIN & SUFFERING; it is a mental/cognitive "thing" manifesting in PHYSICAL "results" (bad AND good); Victor Frankl is an example of good/positive "result" of the TRAUMA of the Holocaust. 8-)

Last edited:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll add to that.,,,You can only enjoy the sunrise if youre around to see it.

Prepare for the worst hope for the best.

There is absolutely nothing wrong for being prepared for what life throws our way RJC. I am prepared and have been for some time now. Try to do just what you said Red and get out and enjoy life a little bit. Let's face it RJC for the amount of Threads you post in that very vast subject you should be the most prepared man on the face of the planet? Do what makes you happy in life and if you're happy with what you're doing, keep on doing .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread