a disappointing anticlimax..

hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Buckley, Flintshire, North Wales.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My last post was a King Edward IV Silver Groat date range 1460's - 70's. I went out again this morning to a field neighbouring the one in which that coin came out of. What a disappointment it turned out to be! Only found 3 coins, a Penny of Queen Victoria - 1863, a halfpenny (also Victoria) - 1861, and an undatable half penny - probably George III circa 1806 (I can just make out tell-tale features). I've attached a photo of this mediocre trio of coins together with a US Quarter as a scale reference coin. Also found was a host of artefacts including a couple of hallmarked silver spoon handles, several horse harness buckles, a bullet and two musket balls. Artefacts just don't do it for me, I'm basically only interested in coins...coins are why I go out detecting! So, today was well and truly a disappointment...
Better luck next time??? I hope so.
hodge

Attachments

• 14th Feb.JPG
    14th Feb.JPG
    305.1 KB · Views: 1,581
Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As we say down South, bless your heart. Breezie

F

Felinepeachy

Awwww, I'm sorry. I know how that feels. Cheer up, you'll find something grand soon. :-* ;D

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
A more optimistic outlook will certainly help ya ;D. Here we are more tough about our finds and enjoy our outings and wildlife encounters, even snakes. :laughing9:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A couple of greenies are better than nothing. Best of luck on the next outing. :icon_thumright:

LMC 620

Apr 29, 2009
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You call that a disappointment? There are days when I find but a single modern penny and go home thinking, "well at least I wasn't skunked".

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
I woke up this morning..... :laughing3:

Couldn't find my Thermos

This could have been my warning

That I was going to be findless
but I'll made up my mind

There's more hammered there
but came home with my pouch bear

I've got the.......Vicky copper blues

Not near as bad as your anti-Cartwheel syndrome... There's no cure! (for you) ;D

I've got....acorns in my leotard

Just not lucky acorns! ;D

You can't put that in the song...it doesn't go :-\

Burma Shave

OP
OP
hodge

hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
Yeah but that silver was good enough to hold you over for a couple bad hunts. :thumbsup:

The 06 is the right type for the Georgie, but a One Penny.
Hi all, I think that maybe I've over emphasised the 'disappointment' in my original posting... and therefore I'd like to explain myself. My posting of the previous week was without doubt a detecting highlight for me - so much so that I changed my avatar to show the coin featured in that posting. The disappointment in this current posting was meant to be a comparison between what I'd found last time out against the more commonly available Victoria coins found on Sunday 14th Feb. To put it another way - each of the coins found this time out join a number of identical coins already found by me in the past few months... this weekend I found nothing "New". Last weeks Silver Groat was a first for me, and neither of my detecting friends have found one in more than 20 years (combined) detecting. I'm always glad to find old coinage but familiarity breeds contempt.

Oh by the way Iron Patch - I still maintain that the George III is a halfpenny SPINK #3781 - SIZE 29MM, ORIGINAL WEIGHT 9.428GRAMS (NOW 9.15GRAMS). A 1806 penny would be 35mm & 18.876grams when first struck. The Victoria penny in the photo is 30.8mm.

I'm always receptive to comments & feedback, so thanks to everyone. Rest assured folks, I'm not quite suicidal yet despite the impression you might have got from my first post on this topic. I'll try to be more positive next time round!!!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Come hunting northern Michigan with me and then return home to kiss the first relic you dig.

Up here if one digs a pre-1900 coin the community wants ya to run for mayor.

Nice digs!

Badger

OP
OP
hodge

hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Michigan Badger said:
Come hunting northern Michigan with me and then return home to kiss the first relic you dig.

Up here if one digs a pre-1900 coin the community wants ya to run for mayor.

Nice digs!

Badger
Hi Badger, just for you I promise I will kiss the next relic, artefact or coin that I dig, & you'll hear no more complaints from me.
hodge...
Incidently, one of my detecting collegues shares your nickname - BADGER

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hodge said:
Iron Patch said:
Yeah but that silver was good enough to hold you over for a couple bad hunts. :thumbsup:

Hi all, I think that maybe I've over emphasised the 'disappointment' in my original posting... and therefore I'd like to explain myself. My posting of the previous week was without doubt a detecting highlight for me - so much so that I changed my avatar to show the coin featured in that posting. The disappointment in this current posting was meant to be a comparison between what I'd found last time out against the more commonly available Victoria coins found on Sunday 14th Feb. To put it another way - each of the coins found this time out join a number of identical coins already found by me in the past few months... this weekend I found nothing "New". Last weeks Silver Groat was a first for me, and neither of my detecting friends have found one in more than 20 years (combined) detecting. I'm always glad to find old coinage but familiarity breeds contempt.

Oh by the way Iron Patch - I still maintain that the George III is a halfpenny SPINK #3781 - SIZE 29MM, ORIGINAL WEIGHT 9.428GRAMS (NOW 9.15GRAMS). A 1806 penny would be 35mm & 18.876grams when first struck. The Victoria penny in the photo is 30.8mm.

I'm always receptive to comments & feedback, so thanks to everyone. Rest assured folks, I'm not quite suicidal yet despite the impression you might have got from my first post on this topic. I'll try to be more positive next time round!!!

I'm giving my head a shake because in my mind a Victoria One penny was much larger than a 06/07 Geo. III halfpenny. I shake my head because I've literally had hundreds of both through my fingers. I just went and measured them and see how bad my brain was scrambled. No question a hp.

OP
OP
hodge

hodge

Mar 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
hodge said:
Iron Patch said:

I'm giving my head a shake because in my mind a Victoria One penny was much larger than a 06/07 Geo. III halfpenny. I shake my head because I've literally had hundreds of both through my fingers. I just went and measured them and see how bad my brain was scrambled. No question a hp.
That was a reasonable assumption IP. As you know, cartwheel pennies led the way at 36mm & 1 ounce, and cartwheel twopences at 41mm & 2 ounces. The thing is that in those days the denomination of coins just wasn't on the coins!!
Just as an aside...imagine having a shilling in copper in 1797, you'd be walking around with threequarters of a pound of copper in your pocket!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hodge said:
Iron Patch said:
hodge said:
Iron Patch said:

That was a reasonable assumption IP. As you know, cartwheel pennies led the way at 36mm & 1 ounce, and cartwheel twopences at 41mm & 2 ounces. The thing is that in those days the denomination of coins just wasn't on the coins!!
Just as an aside...imagine having a shilling in copper in 1797, you'd be walking around with threequarters of a pound of copper in your pocket!

I just found a 2 in the Fall. Big sucker but not a shocker because I've had many non dug ones. It's wouldn't have been too bad having the Shilling worth of copper if it had decent value, but I bet there was a time where it was still accepted, but worth very little. That's probably also the time the majority were lost.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
i wouldnt piss on that 63 and throw it back! i could of been a lot worse bud. it coulda been that C word (clad) :laughing7: :laughing7: willy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread