A DREAM COME TRUE........ G.W. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well Gary (foundation hunter) scooped me up this morning and headed to a new colonial cellar hole site. Right away we noticed relics piled on rocks and my hopes went down for me on this site as far as finding anything significant. I worked the old dirt driveway going up alongside cellar hole and my very first reading was a decent one at 2 inches. flipped the plug over and thought oh cool a cloaker or dandy button! flipped the button over in my hand and saw the oval in center and knew right away what i was holdin! I yelled "hey Gar! got a G.W.!" he was like yeah ok.... like i was pullin his leg :laughing9:
I never trembled holding any of my finds and i can honestly say this had me shaking.
1881 & 1897 IH's ,a 1927 merc and the buttons were all in the driveway area.
i bet whoever hit this spot before may be scowling big time right about now.
one of my best hunts ever! :headbang:
Digging & holding a George Washington inaugural button from 1789 is just a feeling you can't describe!

Attachments

• AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 006 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 006 [].jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 6,548
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 002 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 002 [].jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 6,535
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 003 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 003 [].jpg
    34 KB · Views: 6,541
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 004 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 004 [].jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 6,531
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 007 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 007 [].jpg
    70 KB · Views: 6,510
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 009 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 009 [].jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 6,422
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 008 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 008 [].jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 6,470
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 005 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 005 [].jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 6,483
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 001 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 001 [].jpg
    38 KB · Views: 6,477
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 011 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 011 [].jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 6,403
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 010 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 010 [].jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 6,417
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 012 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 012 [].jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 6,384
Upvote 1

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bearbqd said:
That's incredibly awesome. But, is it me, or did you clean the patina right off that beauty?

He did, but I probably would have done the same to get the detail as crisp as it is. It would have been possible to get it decent even green, but not as good as it is now. That one I see as being just a personal preference whether to clean, and not a whole lot lost or gained either way.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
bearbqd said:
That's incredibly awesome. But, is it me, or did you clean the patina right off that beauty?

He did, but I probably would have done the same to get the detail as crisp as it is. It would have been possible to get it decent even green, but not as good as it is now. That one I see as being just a personal preference whether to clean, and not a whole lot lost or gained either way.
there really was no patina just a blackish thin film under the dirt which you can still see traces of the black crust around GW.the only green that is on it is some corrosion around legend and near bottom at edge.i only used warm water and a little dish detergent and a gentle light brushing with a very soft toothbrush.i'm afraid to clean it anymore.most of my dandy's i put the super fine brass brush to em and they come out nice.
i'd really like to get all those little crusty pieces off .i'm so tempted to use my brass brush but very hesitant to do so.i know it would take all that crap off for sure. I mean it already has some porosity due to being in the ground for 230 years. i think using the brass brush and some soap would improve the overall appearence of the button and just would like some feedback from you members.

Attachments

• AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 019 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 019 [].jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 299
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 024 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 024 [].jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 300
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 026 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 026 [].jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 312
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 025 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 025 [].jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 301
OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well i soaked it over night and used a toothpick to get off quite a bit more of the black crust. some of what's left of the gilt can be seen a little better now. not gonna play with it anymore.

Attachments

• AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 044 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 044 [].jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 267
  • AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 042 [].jpg
    AUG 9th CELLAR HOLES WITH GARY GW BUTTON 042 [].jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 265

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great find......The George Washington button is the holygrail of relics for those who detect here in the US...I also found my first this past spring and i feel your pain....lolol Smile from ear to ear for days....I still enjoy looking at mine on occasion. Nice to see you made the banner!!!! Congrats once again............
John

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Seeker said:
Congrats on a great find......The George Washington button is the holygrail of relics for those who detect here in the US...I also found my first this past spring and i feel your pain....lolol Smile from ear to ear for days....I still enjoy looking at mine on occasion. Nice to see you made the banner!!!! Congrats once again............
John

thanks John! yeah an incredible feeling for sure.i know how you felt!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say thanks to the lord your moment of insanity has passed and you didn't use a brass brush on it. I was scared to scroll down!

Looking good in those last pics.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only imagine the stories that button could tell. You had one heck of a hunt there. Nice all around, It's seeing post like this that make me want to get out there soooo bad. It's so hot out, and dry around here. I can't wait till the weather cools off a bit.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Say thanks to the lord your moment of insanity has passed and you didn't use a brass brush on it. I was scared to scroll down!

Thanks man. yeah i resisted the urge.ya think some naval jelly would do anything for it? or just leave it as is?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEAVYMETALNUT said:
Iron Patch said:

Thanks man. yeah i resisted the urge.ya think some naval jelly would do anything for it? or just leave it as is?

You're right down to the surface so I don't think I would play with that. But I don't like the jelly to begin with. I might have an idea for you that can sort of be eased into. Message with with your email and I'll shoot you back a little later with a couple of pictures and explanation.

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
big deal its only a g.w button in great shape with full shank...oh wait a g.w in great shape with full shank!!!! sweeeet...congrats on a sweet find.we all dream of finding one of those

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
dave i just got my computer back up. great button and i new you were going to get one i could just feel it. i found a old english script bridal rosette with a w on it that got me going at first. willy

RelicRick

Aug 29, 2006
Jockey Hollow
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

Now that most of the crud is off, I'd recommend using a light coat of Renaissance curator's wax to protect the button. It will also make the letters "pop" more. When I had Stacks look at my buttons, they said be very careful about getting saliva anywhere near the buttons...it will destroy them! Again...great find! Congrats!

melonhead74

Greenie
Dec 28, 2008
NE Texas
Detector(s) used
whites mxt, mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what a piece of history!!!! Awesome!!! Congrats on such a wonderful find.... and in great shape too!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thanks everyone for all the incredibly awesomecomments.i just submitted my story and pics to Steve @ W&E treasures magazine for submission in the 2010 best finds issue.crossin my fingers :thumbsup:

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Being new to this great hobby I can only dream to find a button like that. Maybe with a lot of research and a lot of luck I will someday. GREAT FIND!!!!!!
H H
Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions