yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done a little more research (although I still haven't been able to get to the local expert to ask what they really are). Apparently there was a quarry up above the (now) reservoir where I've been hunting, and I finally found the huge old and rusted cables associated with that quarry. I assume it was a greenstone quarry, as that is the dominant rock in that area. The first pic is a big chunk of both greenstone and milky quartz (or chalcedony?) with nice dark and medium teal/green fading into the quartz. The landscaping brick can be used as a size reference.

0325151112.jpg

The next few are of various forms this stuff comes in. Some is (micro) crystalline kelly-green (epidote?) and some is typical dull greenstone with striations of other harder minerals which eventually remain as the softer greenstone wears away- leaving them raised in stripes or dots. With the normal river-tumble, these too eventually wear down leaving a striped or dotted rock. I think I'm finding red jasper up there too, but I don't think I have a pic of that. Ox-blood in hue. I'll have to get a pic next time I'm up there.

0325151110.jpg 0325151111a.jpg 0325151111b.jpg

0325151110a.jpg 0325151111.jpg

In the pic on the above right, the middle rock, interested in figuring out what the striated/grained inclusion is. Thought it might be scholr/black tourmaline, but now don't think it is.

0215151136.jpg 0215151149.jpg 0215151143.jpg

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you've some strange rocks too. We are in foothills near NC border an we have some strange ones too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange indeed! W/ luck I'll be checking theses things out tomorrow w/ an expert!

Upvote 0

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Really cool specimens! Thanks for showing! Those blackish crystals could be Schorl or maybe Actinolite?

Upvote 0

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Yakker, if you know of an expert around here, please share! We haven't been able to find one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
yakker

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Yakker, if you know of an expert around here, please share! We haven't been able to find one.

Hi Shaman- There's a guy names Tony (don't have his last name right now) who has an incredible shop in Charlottesville. He came down from NY- with truckloads of specimens and equipment. He was the one who finally solved my mystery of the amazing rutilated quartz crystal I found in a local reservoir (same one I'm hunting now- at the top end)- which ended up being Brazilian. Mystery remains as to *why* it was there... Nevertheless, I later found out he's a good friend of my neighbor's son who's a mineralogist and geologist in Oregon. This Tony guy has a little shop on the north side of town in a little (little) shopping center across Rt. 29 from Lowes. This is his website: Excalibur Mineral Corporation Charlottesville, VA    (434) 964-0875       (where I've just noticed his analytical equipment is down... so I wonder if he'll be able to ID my rocks... hmm) I know this isn't really your neck of the woods, but better than nothing!

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd like better pics of the one with striations. :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread