A FEW MORE LEFT IN OUR GHOST TOWN

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, it's Wednesday, and I'm sleeping in. Not! Son comes in at 0600 and wants to swing some more!!!! "Of course" I say; we grab our gear and the dogs and hit one of the ghost towns only 30 minutes from our door. Amedee has treated us very well for the past ten years but finds are getting harder and you really have to work for them.

Anyway; Wyatt wants to wonder and I start moving dirt trying to find the deep stuff around the old hotel. Takes me about 30 minutes before I get my first target. A totally toasted Indian after moving the top ten inches of dirt. She's still soaking but at least I think I can get a date. It's 190?,

After digging a couple of hours and a few more relics with some cool old glazed marbles, we head over to the old barn and stable area. This area was very busy back in the day with all the livestock and trading going on. We have gotten a few nice things here and today I was able to find another seated dime. 1888!! As soon as I find it, Wyatt calls me over and asked me to check his signal. I get an 12-35, solid, but deep. I', thinking shell casing or possibly an Indian, We dig down a good 8 inches and I see it. I thought for sure he had a half dime in the dirt. It looked like the others we have found and had the normal blackish crud on it. I wipe some water on it and its silver!!!! But I have no clue what it is. There appears to have been a shank on the back at one time. (I weighed it at home after cleaning it and it's 1.2 grams). I can't find any writing on it but it has a reeded edge. If anyone knows please chime in!!! He then finds an old WW1 or 2 button in great shape that had a nail stuck through the loop.

Anyway, it was getting nasty out with the thunder and lightning moving in as well as the dogs had chased every live creature in the area away; it was time to head home. Enjoy the pictures and thanks for looking----bolle

Attachments

• amedee1.jpg
    amedee1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 187
  • amedeedogs.jpg
    amedeedogs.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 177
  • amedee3b.jpg
    amedee3b.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 181
  • amedee3.jpg
    amedee3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 185
  • amedee4.jpg
    amedee4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 179
  • amedee5.jpg
    amedee5.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 185
  • amedee6.jpg
    amedee6.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 182
  • amedee7.jpg
    amedee7.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 175
  • amedee9.jpg
    amedee9.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 181
  • amedee8.jpg
    amedee8.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 212
Upvote 25

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you had a successful day. Congrats on the silver and relics.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice day was had by all

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great day and a lot of fun. Thanks for the photos

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful seated! whats that next to it?

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful seated! whats that next to it?

That's we were trying to figure out!!! It has the same weight and size of a Half Dime; Its silver and a reeded edge! But there is a small post on the back (broken) like it had been a pin at one time! It sounded of like a half dime on the E-trac as well. :dontknow:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those 2 silvers you guys dug, turned it from a nice hunt to a great hunt. :occasion14: I like finding marbles in the plugs, only have 4 now, but expect to dig find more in future plugs.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BASQ HAD PLANS TO SLEEP TODAY, BUT HIS SON DROPPED BY AND SAID DAD NO WAY. SO THEY WERE ON THERE WAY TO NO MANS LAND WHERE MTS ARE SO THIRSTY AND THE DIRT IS TAN.SO AFTER DIGGING WHAT SEEMED FOR ONLY A HALF HOUR , OUT POP A BOTTLE AND 2 GLASS MARBLES. WELL FATHER AND SON THEY GOT A FEW FINDS BUT THE BEST PART OF THE HUNT WAS THE WELL SPENT QUALITY TIME. LOVE THE MARBLES.

UnknownArts

Jun 25, 2015
Burlington, VT
Detector(s) used
Garret Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's we were trying to figure out!!! It has the same weight and size of a Half Dime; Its silver and a reeded edge! But there is a small post on the back (broken) like it had been a pin at one time! It sounded of like a half dime on the E-trac as well. :dontknow:

It's cool whatever it is! Can't wait for you to find out and share!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
that is a great hunt! And love the sidekicks...boy the love windows and diving down road..

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score! That silver was undoubtedly in the hands of a cowboy from the Old West at some point.
Great piece of silver and American history to boot :thumbsup:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any day with a "Seated" is a great one. Even better having a great buddy along ! That mystery relic is a cool find also can you post a cleaned up picture of its reverse side?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to see that all the ghost towns are not COMPLETELY hunted out. 7up

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! Sounds like a killer place to hunt. I am very interested in what that silver thing turns out to be. Best of luck to you!

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Some very interesting finds, particularly that very old bottle! I'd love to find a little fur trade bottle in one piece!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. The silver disk with the winged helmet head reminds me of coins that contain the head of Roma or similar Macedonia type coins. Not sure if that would help in your searches; but, that is what it reminds me of.

edit: You mention a possible post on the back...would this disc be the size of a cufflink?

Good Luck!
Happy Hunting!
-TwoYewts

Last edited:

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Basque-Man yesterday. He stopped by my work to show me some of his relics and a couple of detectors he uses. After seeing in his profile that he is just one county from my home I reached out to him and asked for pointers/guidance regarding getting started in this hobby.

I'm still a couple months from actually purchasing my first detector, but now I can purchase with a bit more confidence. Better still, he offered to take me along on some hunts to help get me started.

Basque, thanks for being so willing to help a newb. I look forward to spending some more time with you. Congrats on the great hunt too.

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more pictures of the small silver thingy! button1.jpg button2.jpg button3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions