A FEW MORE LEFT IN OUR GHOST TOWN

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, it's Wednesday, and I'm sleeping in. Not! Son comes in at 0600 and wants to swing some more!!!! "Of course" I say; we grab our gear and the dogs and hit one of the ghost towns only 30 minutes from our door. Amedee has treated us very well for the past ten years but finds are getting harder and you really have to work for them.

Anyway; Wyatt wants to wonder and I start moving dirt trying to find the deep stuff around the old hotel. Takes me about 30 minutes before I get my first target. A totally toasted Indian after moving the top ten inches of dirt. She's still soaking but at least I think I can get a date. It's 190?,

After digging a couple of hours and a few more relics with some cool old glazed marbles, we head over to the old barn and stable area. This area was very busy back in the day with all the livestock and trading going on. We have gotten a few nice things here and today I was able to find another seated dime. 1888!! As soon as I find it, Wyatt calls me over and asked me to check his signal. I get an 12-35, solid, but deep. I', thinking shell casing or possibly an Indian, We dig down a good 8 inches and I see it. I thought for sure he had a half dime in the dirt. It looked like the others we have found and had the normal blackish crud on it. I wipe some water on it and its silver!!!! But I have no clue what it is. There appears to have been a shank on the back at one time. (I weighed it at home after cleaning it and it's 1.2 grams). I can't find any writing on it but it has a reeded edge. If anyone knows please chime in!!! He then finds an old WW1 or 2 button in great shape that had a nail stuck through the loop.

Anyway, it was getting nasty out with the thunder and lightning moving in as well as the dogs had chased every live creature in the area away; it was time to head home. Enjoy the pictures and thanks for looking----bolle

Attachments

• amedee1.jpg
    amedee1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 188
  • amedeedogs.jpg
    amedeedogs.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 178
  • amedee3b.jpg
    amedee3b.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 182
  • amedee3.jpg
    amedee3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 186
  • amedee4.jpg
    amedee4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 180
  • amedee5.jpg
    amedee5.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 186
  • amedee6.jpg
    amedee6.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 183
  • amedee7.jpg
    amedee7.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 176
  • amedee9.jpg
    amedee9.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 182
  • amedee8.jpg
    amedee8.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 25
OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Basque-Man yesterday. He stopped by my work to show me some of his relics and a couple of detectors he uses. After seeing in his profile that he is just one county from my home I reached out to him and asked for pointers/guidance regarding getting started in this hobby.

I'm still a couple months from actually purchasing my first detector, but now I can purchase with a bit more confidence. Better still, he offered to take me along on some hunts to help get me started.

Basque, thanks for being so willing to help a newb. I look forward to spending some more time with you. Congrats on the great hunt too.

Monte,

We'll take care of ya,,,:laughing7: Ya just never know where we end up though. Sometimes we end up at Gerlach NV, or some skid trail!! We have always made it home though!!!

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
Isn't that little silver thingy a shankless button? The reason I like buttons is their diversity. It looks a little different (in a good way) but that would be my only guess...

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that little silver thingy a shankless button? The reason I like buttons is their diversity. It looks a little different (in a good way) but that would be my only guess...

I'm thinking your right. I really don't know much about them. This was our first silver button from this location and just looked like a half dime until we cleaned it.......oh well!!!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like the mystery item might be a button of some sort or possible cuff-link was hoping someone would recognize it, still might happen !

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Liking the seated and the other looks like a merc copy.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking seated!!

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted around some more Basque-Man but not able to locate your mystery disc. Best conclusion is what has already been said with the button or cufflink theories. One other possibility could be part of a cloak-clasp. The depiction still seems to lead me towards a Greek or Roman god representation with either a dragon or griffin on the helmet. Here are links to the closest comparisons I could find:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/238658045/vintage-cufflinks-rare-silver-roman

https://www.etsy.com/listing/231674834/antique-minerva-warrior-metal?ref=related-7

Hopefully one day the mystery will be solved :)

Happy Hunting.
Good Luck!
-TwoYewts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions