A few of my better childhood finds

Spike

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family and I found these on our farm in North East Alabama in the mid 1970's. The first one, (spear or knife?) I distinctly remember finding myself in our pig pen when it was unoccupied. Never had any of them identified, anybody have any ball park ideas on their period, or any other info?

Thanks!

P3280011.JPG P3280012.JPG

P3280013.JPG P3280015.JPG

Quartz tip

P3280017.JPG P3280018.JPG

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard Spike.
I'm bumping your post back up so more might see it.
Thanks for sharing your finds and childhood memories.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Spike - not sure on the age of the points. The first one is likely a knife. Good sized piece.

Welcome to the site.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Spike
Good handle. I hunt some in Ala and have one a lot like your first one. We always called them like your name (Spike) Tn River Spikes. They are like a gouge or adze and a great tool. The second one always stumps me as it is heavily worn down. It could possibly be a cotaco creek the 3rd of course is a broke quartz tip of who knows what kind. All nice finds.
I am guessing that you are towards the middle or in S.Ala where they were found? Thanks for sharing and hope this helps. Welcome to artifacts Spike.
TnMtns

OP
OP
S

Spike

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tennessee,

I grew up East of Centre, Alabama, and the banks of the creek that ran through our cattle farm was a great place to find them. Mom found a beautifully grooved Axe head in a field near the creek, and she is still trying to find that in her storage unit to pass on to me. I would love more than anything to get back that way (Alabama), look up my old friend David I grew up with, and go searching in all our old spots, but that might have to wait till who knows when.

I'm in Michigan now, and I think I may have found a decent field to search. I really need to learn the finer points of field searching though. I know it's best after a rain that follows a till, but there must be more to it than that.

Say, when you get a chance post a picture of that one that is similar, I'd love to see it!

Hey Spike
Good handle. I hunt some in Ala and have one a lot like your first one. We always called them like your name (Spike) Tn River Spikes. They are like a gouge or adze and a great tool. The second one always stumps me as it is heavily worn down. It could possibly be a cotaco creek the 3rd of course is a broke quartz tip of who knows what kind. All nice finds.
I am guessing that you are towards the middle or in S.Ala where they were found? Thanks for sharing and hope this helps. Welcome to artifacts Spike.
TnMtns

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spike
You are in a very good area for artifacts in Michigan. I hunt a lot down in :censored: Alabama. Your season is just getting started up there. On here are many many old post on how to find spots to hunt for and locate artifacts. My season has not really even started here yet as we are having a very wet spring. If you can not find those articles in your search try google and it will bring them up here at t-net. If not holler back and we can start a new thread about hunting in Michigan. Boy I bet you miss good ole Alabama in the winters but maybe not all the tornados.
Here is the one like yours. It is just a little longer but the workmanship is almost the same and even possibly the material. Hope you find that grooved axe. Hit the high spots and any slopes towards a creek on that field first. The flint will lead the way. Sometimes it is just bands of it. Keep posting.
TnMtns

100_4301.JPG

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey spike,the lake levels are dropping in michigan,id walk the edge of them.good luck

OP
OP
S

Spike

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow does that ever look similar! Beautiful long piece too! I miss Alabama very much, but our winters kinda grow on ya. None of my friends back in Ala, or Fla believe me though.

I have all day long tommorow to hit a pre-tilled slope that angles toward the main river through town. Bringing the farmer and his wife some pastries from in town here. They are a trip, both in their 90's and been retired since the early 1980's. We've been getting some good rain lately, and hopefully lady luck will be with me.

Spike
You are in a very good area for artifacts in Michigan. I hunt a lot down in :censored: Alabama. Your season is just getting started up there. On here are many many old post on how to find spots to hunt for and locate artifacts. My season has not really even started here yet as we are having a very wet spring. If you can not find those articles in your search try google and it will bring them up here at t-net. If not holler back and we can start a new thread about hunting in Michigan. Boy I bet you miss good ole Alabama in the winters but maybe not all the tornados.
Here is the one like yours. It is just a little longer but the workmanship is almost the same and even possibly the material. Hope you find that grooved axe. Hit the high spots and any slopes towards a creek on that field first. The flint will lead the way. Sometimes it is just bands of it. Keep posting.
TnMtns

View attachment 786690

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread