A few of today's finds - Need ID

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these today, anyone know more? The suspender buckle looks like two different kinds attached together. The "President" was patented in 1901 and the other has an 1892 patent date on it.

DSC03344.jpg DSC03368.jpg DSC03360.jpg DSC03355.jpg

Upvote 5
OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. It says Palmer, and after posting this I was able to do a quick google search of "Palmer medicine bottle" and found some results right away. Apparently its a hand-blown perfume or cologne bottle from the 1890s. There is nothing on the back of the President buckle, but I noticed the other one that has the 1892 date says "Shirley". That leaves the flat key. Can anyone put a date on that?

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Some history:1881 C.A. Edgarton and Sons opened a factory on Leominster Road in Shirley, Mass to produce webbing for suspenders and garters. Around 1900 - it became known as the President Suspender Company. About 1930 - George Frost Belt Company merged with the Suspender Company. In the early 1960's the President name was dropped and it was just George Frost Company.
Don....."

Now I see what you're getting at. Thank you, that helps a bunch.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the very same buckle earlier this year, your post jogged my memory so I dug it out. Thanks for posting the info on it. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499751268.834531.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Maybe this is 'your' Palmer:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SolonPalmer, is probably one of the best known of the early Americanperfumers. He was born in New Hampshire on 3 February 1823.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On26 June 1847 he established his own perfumery business in Cincinnati,Ohio at Number 8 West Fourth Street. The Presbyterian Church actuallyowned the shop, renting the front of the property to Solon whileconducting religious services at the rear. Praise The Lord and passthe perfume!![/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue Light, HelveticaNeue-Light, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Palmer’sbusiness thrived as Cincinnati’s population rapidly grew due theinflux of (mainly German) immigrants who settled the area. Aswell, tens of thousands of people moving further west used the cityas a key staging post. Within a few years he had outgrown his firstshop and relocated to larger, three story, premises at 169 MainStreet where he advertised himself as [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SolonPalmer Perfumer & Chemist. [/FONT]
[/FONT]
hall31a.jpg

Don......
Source: Collecting Vintage Compacts: The History of Solon Palmer - Almost America's Oldest Perfumer

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked it up and after searching a little bit, I found that key was patented in 1891. Who knew, right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread