Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ForumRunner_20130617_090409.png

ForumRunner_20130617_090503.png

ForumRunner_20130617_090550.png

ForumRunner_20130617_090657.png

ForumRunner_20130617_090735.png

ForumRunner_20130617_090840.png

It's been a good spring. I have several more cool finds I've yet to take pics of. Really enjoy the reactions (even when critical) of the members here!

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only see one and maybe two artifacts in those pics. That would be the Point on your finger and the possible Scraper next to the penny. The rest are all natural stones.

OP
OP
W

wkyrelicman

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Hancock Co., Ky
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reaper: Those pics were taken from my dirty, crappy phone camera. The two slate pieces on the cig pack were authenticated by three local experts. The small one on the left is a broken bird stone head and the one on the right is just a bird head with drilled eyes. The underside is curved and polished as good as any youll find. Each were found on the waters edge in an awesome inlet from the river. A better pic would show the detailed chisel lines and high polish. I thought the little sugar quartz piece was a grooved plummet.......
The bottom pieces I believe are rhyolite. Just thought they were cool.

ForumRunner_20130617_155832.png

ForumRunner_20130617_155918.png

.....a couple more cool finds

ForumRunner_20130617_160044.png

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but your "local experts" are clueless. Neither are part of a Birdstone.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just trying to help you out. Neither of those are artifacts. They are natural formations.

Post some better pics, but I stand by my assessment from what I see in those pics.

OP
OP
W

wkyrelicman

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Hancock Co., Ky
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seriously though it is drilled on both sides symmetrically with grooves forming the beak. I didn't say it was priceless, but I did take it to some very well known dealers(experts). I live directly across the river from a few fellas quite reknowned in the field as the crib mounds are 10 minutes from my house. I promise I'll post some better pics when I get off from work (lol). Also, what did you think of the broken tubed banner? Or is it a broken pipe? Took it to my friend Bruce Mominee and he believes it was a banner.

bmartin0693

Feb 22, 2012
East Bend, North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude when I saw this thread, my first glance knew it was cool. I prefer the same technique here in NC; digging along the creeks edge and bank produces very intriguing stones all together. I have a piece of rhyolite I found along a creek it has a similar nodular form as yours does. That's how I assumed from the pictures given. Great job!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright who left the gate open? " he knew it was cool"
Nice little point...and Mabey a scraper too.. that's all.. why isn't that enough?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wkyrelicman

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
Hancock Co., Ky
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I initially just wanted to share some finds of the the year not be belittled or told that, "the experts in my area are idiots!" I mean, from those hazy pics, how can you possibly feel qualified to make that judgement without the benefit of feeling or an illuminated magnifying glass. I haven't made any drastically bold statements so far out reaching that I need be laughed off the stage. I merely stated the pics were poor and out of focus. Perhaps I should purchase your artifacts and post them in order to be treated with dignity here?

ForumRunner_20130617_174118.png

ForumRunner_20130617_174257.png

ForumRunner_20130617_174337.png

That will be my last post. Crinoid fossil! I forwarded this thread to a few older fellas who are in turn texting me jokes regarding your qualifications to distinguish between the simple geologic characteristics of a rock and a hard place. Lol

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one was belittling you. And from your blurry pictures I was telling you what I see. I was just trying to help you out. You obviously have some artifacts because of the Point and possible Scraper, but the rest are just natural stones. You and your experts can believe what you want, but try taking them to an artifact show and see what kind of responses you get.

That may not be a Crinoid Fossil, but I'm sure it's not a Bannerstone and that is based on my nearly 50 years of collecting experience.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread