a find i didnt know i had!

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this piece the other day, I picked it up thinking it was a cool little rock. (I love saving pieces cool flakes or strange looking rocks) anyway I tossed it in my box of scrap. I'm also an artist and one day I would love to take all the flakes and chips and make some sort of collage out of them. So on my way to work this morning I was looking a different flakes and realized this peice. I kept flipping it over in my hand and looking at it more closely and to my surprise it seem to be a point! It was like finding it all over again super exciting and I had to share! Never seen one like it before!

ForumRunner_20120601_083800.png

ForumRunner_20120601_083818.png

ForumRunner_20120601_083830.png

Johnathan Griswold

Upvote 0

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Pretty! Here's a "What IF"...What IF thats a Trigon Diamond?!! (or just a regular diamond) It looks like it from your pic...Cool to think an Indian would "Knapp" an arrow-point from a big Diamond. Why not?...It could happen...check it out just to make sure...

Nice Find!

MinerGirl

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't make me faint!

Johnathan Griswold

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't make me faint!

Johnathan Griswold

Well don't want to get your hopes too high and it "looks" like glass because you can see through it Now...But after Diamonds are "Cut" you can see through them too. Maybe the old popular cut for Diamonds back then were in the form of Bird Points...not "marquis"..."center cut" etc...Maybe Indian grooms gave those to their brides...:)

I know I'd check it out though...you never know

MinerGirl

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it does look like what's called a herkimer diamond. it's a quartz crystal that terminates on 2 ends. unlike regular quartz crystal that only comes to 1 point

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find this stuff material from time time I always pick it up because its so pretty and clear! I may go get it checked out do you have any pictures of the diamonds you are talking about?

Johnathan Griswold

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick story...Back in the 1800's here in the Midwest, a Huge Diamond was found while drilling a Well. The Lady took it to a Jeweler who told her he thought it was "Topaz"...then offered a dollar for it and she sold it. He sent the "Topaz" rock off for a second opinion to "Tiffany s" who Verified it as a Diamond, not Topaz...The Jeweler got $800. and after the lady took him to court she lost because at the time the Jeweler really thought it was Topaz...Diamonds were just not thought of being from the Mid-West in those days. Not sure where you are but it doesn't matter due to "Trading routes" and traveling back then.

Its pretty though, no matter What it is...:)

MinerGirl

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find this stuff material from time time I always pick it up because its so pretty and clear! I may go get it checked out do you have any pictures of the diamonds you are talking about?

Johnathan Griswold

Just Google Images of Herkimer Diamonds...Trigon Diamonds...Rough Diamonds etc...remember yours is "Cut" now. But you really should be familiar with Rough Diamonds so you can look for those too...:)

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it is quartz crystal it could be worked. diamond I doubt it.

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some pieces I have found

ForumRunner_20120601_190037.png

ForumRunner_20120601_190044.png

ForumRunner_20120601_190058.png

ForumRunner_20120601_190113.png

Johnathan Griswold

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from NC I live 15 mins from the biggest tuscarora village in NC so I was told

Johnathan Griswold

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing about this material when I hold it in sunlight and move it back and forth I can see rainbow colors reflect off the surface

Johnathan Griswold

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great looking gems. I would put my money on quartz crystal. believed to have had healing properties by many. great clarity

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing about this material when I hold it in sunlight and move it back and forth I can see rainbow colors reflect off the surface

Johnathan Griswold

Oh Geez!!! Now you're freaking Me out...:) North Carolina is known for Diamonds and that "Pretty Rainbow thing"? Could be the iridescence that Diamonds have. You can put in under a black light in the dark and see if it "glows"...gotta run for now..I'll check back...(Other crystals do this too but I'll look them up and get back to you)

Alwayslearning...you have a good point and not sure how diamonds "cut"..if they would hold up or "Shatter"...

MinerGirl

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that rainbow affect you see.. is called a prism affect. the different angles in the material are separating the light into it's different wavelengths. a piece of glass will even do that. so will rain drops we call it a rainbow

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of faith so I say its a diamond! Now I can quit my job! (Earlier posts convo answer!) Haha how could I get I checked?

Johnathan Griswold

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right on! just take it to your nearest jeweler

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alwayslearning said:
right on! just take it to your nearest jeweler

Sweet! I'm so excited now haha

Johnathan Griswold

OP
OP
birdpointgriswold

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We had a lot of rain tonight so ill be stomping all weekend whoop whoop!

Johnathan Griswold

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. just curious.. what kind of field are you in. soybean tobacco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions