A find in pocket change presents a dilemma - 2010-10-25

ArkhamHouse

Aug 1, 2010
I search nickel rolls almost exclusively, with the purpose of attempting to complete the Jefferson set 1938-1961. Having searched about 77,000 coins, my set now lacks the following:

1938-D, 1938-S, 1939-D, 1939-S, 1944-S, 1945-D, 1945-S, 1950-D.

I happened to go through some change I had tossed in a jar over the last few months, thinking I would turn it in when I dump my latest batch of nickels. Surprisingly, I found amongst the nickels:

1959-D, 1958-D, 1957, 1956, 1954-D, 1954-S, 1952-D, 1947-D,

and...

A lovely very-fine 1939-S.

This is the first example of the 1939-S I have found in many years.

There were about $49.00 worth of nickels, so my average of about one pre-1960 date per one-hundred coins searched is holding up well.

So, the question is, does it belong in the set that I am assembling from CRHing? Or should I wait to find another?

Thanks to all for the great posts and happy hunting.

-Arkham House

Upvote 0
A find is find - the rolls you search are just someone else's pocket change. Add it to your collection and don't worry about it.

No one would ever know (except you!), and isn't that who your putting the set together for? Myself, I would keep the 39-S, then swap it out when you find another. Most likely you will get a 39-S from CRH'ing before you get all of the other seven. Just my humble opinion......

HH, Legend

I say it definitely belongs in the set. In my opinion, searching your own pocket change is no different than searching rolls. Its not like you bought the coin. You found it in circulation fair and square. Put it in the set! :icon_thumleft:

I only categorize Bought and Circulation, almost all of my sets are from circulation, and I plan to replace the ones that were not from circulation at some point. I count rolls or pocket change as circulation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back