Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my Garrett late last summer, and spent last fall learning how to use it. So far my only decent finds have been coins... mostly clad, a few indians, buffalos and mercs, but no large silver, gold, or rings.

Well that changed a little today... was checking out the lawn around an old log house when I decided to dig what I thought was going to be a solid nickel signal. Boy, was I wrong! It was a shock when this local high school class ring revealed itself. :o ;D

CR class ring 4_29_09.JPG

CR class ring 4_29_09 B.JPG

Since it is a class ring, the school, graduation date and initials are on it... a call to the school office revealed a name... then the phone book gave up a contact number for the potential owner only 15 miles away.

And with an errand to run in that area, I called the number to see if this was the owner... after a short conversation with the lady who answered the phone it was confirmed - I had in my hand her husband's class ring. A few minutes later it was in the hands of one surprised and happy lady! She seemed to remember that her husband lost it a year or so before he graduated from high school, so it was in the ground for over 30 years....

It appeared to be in remarkably good condition. With a little cleaning and polishing, it should look as good as new!

The only bummer is that while I did finally find something of value to justify buying two metal detectors last summer, I couldn't keep it.... :( but the joy of seeing the smile on the lady's face was worth doing the right thing. :)

Upvote 0

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Awesome story,Just think you made someone very happy.
You should feel good about yourself.
A lot of people would have kept it and sold it for the price of gold $$$.
Congrats on doing the right thing.
God bless you and happy hunting,you will be rewarded in the long run.

fortbball9

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
Great job, good things will come to those who do the right thing, and believe me I know that had to be hard!

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Congratulations on your find!
Super Congratulations on returning it!
You are an asset to our hobby.
HH

John

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.

I knew as soon as I saw it and the initials that it wasn't going to be a keeper... I'm hoping that someone else would do the same for me if something of mine was found.

Now if it was a simple gold band with no markings, well that one would be mine unless there was a way to identify the original owner. ;D

And who knows - in the brief 45 minutes of hunting that log house site I found three wheaties and 5 other clad coins, maybe when I get back there in a day or so a few silver coins will be waiting for me. :thumbsup:

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice story .............nice thing you did by returning the ring...........you will be rewarded ........... :thumbsup:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
should gave to the "husband" -- :wink: the wife always wanted it back in high school -- so he 's hidden it all these years from her --darn shes got it now.

high school girl friends always "wanted" your ring --if you got married to em they kept it as a "keepsake" ---they broke up with you they kept it( in spite) or "chucked" it away --either way you were SOL ---- cuz once they "got" your ring kiss it good bye forever .

those big high school rings often ring up as nickles -- --smaller women type rings as pulltabs --and tiny 10K kiddie rings and such as foil :wink:

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Kudos to you for returning it. :thumbsup: Maybe your next find will be loaded with diamonds and no initials! Keep up the good work!

HH,
Moon

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Excellent find and yes it is nice to add to the collection, but giving back sometimes is the right thing to do and helps with a positive image of our hobby. :thumbsup:

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Mach 1,
You did a great deed by returning the ring to it's owner. You have served the hobby well. Great job.

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did the right thing by returning the ring!! :thumbsup: Something good will bless you soon, WTG!!!

HH Joe

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned a class ring to a lady years ago. Lost for 26 years and I found it! It was on the news and that was so cool. The look on her face was priceless. I would do it again,what a thrill. She took us out for dinner and a ice cream. Well worth,finding the one owner. It will be your memory,as one of your best finds, You did the right thing :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mach1Pilot

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all of your kind comments. :)

This has been a fun experience from the find to the return! No doubt, if I find another it will be returned too.

Now I need to find my daughter's tiny gold band that was given to her by her grandmother... who originally got it when she was 7-8 years old. My daughter lost it in my yard - somewhere in a two acre area! In spite of digging everything that remotely chirps- including individual BBs from my sons "adventures" - I've yet to find this one.

Of course its smaller than a dime, with the edge cross section of a 16 gauge wire - but it is gold.... One seasoned detectorist who primarily hunts CW relics told me I'll probably never find it. He thinks its too small to ring on the machine.

Hopefully someday I can post pictures of that find and a few other rings too. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread